1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Partners CCV?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 17, 2022.

Discuss Who Partners CCV? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jenz for now but would actually like to see Jenz and Starfelt together, with Starfelt getting a chance at rcb. Think his biggest weakness is playing on the left of the two, which Jenz looks comfortable doing. Just to see how they work together.

Starfelt needs some minutes to get back up to speed I think.

2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Jenz should keep the spot currently, but I still feel like CCV/Starfelt is our best pairing.

Hope Welsh gets another shot soon as well, been slightly forgotten since his MOTM against Aberdeen.

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Jenz for sure just now, Welsh didn’t put a foot wrong but his illness probably now put him at the bottom of the pecking order.

Starfelt needs gametime but shouldn’t be starting next few games, likely start the cup game away to County.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is madness for me, for me Starfelt’s majorly below the other two when it comes to passing and on the ball.

OverandOver and CookieMonster like this.
  5. Keano88

I think Jenz deserves to keep the spot just now if his injury isn’t too serious, but still think Starfelt is a better defender than him, as things stand.

In a backs to the wall job Starfelt manages to get his head on so much that maybe goes unnoticed.

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Right now its Jenz which is harsh on starfelt as he has a proven and reliable partnership with ccv who is undisputed no1 cb but Carl is just coming back to fitness and I expect he will need 5/6 games to settle

7. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Agree with this....Starfelt was out, Jenz stepped up, Jenz (assuming what brought him off at the weekend has passed) should keep his place....and Starfelt waits until an injury or a drop in form

On Starfelt as a player, he sometimes makes we sick with worry, as he is often so awkward and uncomfortable looking on the ball, is that skill, posture, balance - dont know....that said he gets stuck in at defending when he needs to and doesn't often disappoint.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I give the edge to Starfelt at the moment, but as has been said it’s Jenz’s jersey to lose at the moment with Carl coming back from injury.

9. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Think Starfelt is the better defender. Jenz looks more of a threat from set pieces and maybe better at playing out from the back.

I'd be starting Starfelt every match from now on. He needs the game time to get back up to speed for the zombies and CL. Maybe give Jenz some time of the bench so we don't push Starfelt too much.

Wouldn't be against playing Welsh and Jenz in the league cup when the other games are coming round thick and fast. Would play CCV and Starfelt against Ross County though just to help Starfelt settle before the zombies.

10. apevrak

He was the best passer in the league percentage wise last season. It's his main strength imo and very important for Angeball to have two CB's that operates as playmakers when the rest of the team are attacking.

Screenshot_20220817-153752_Chrome.jpg

James Mc likes this.
  11. john2061

Seeing last night the zombies losing goals at corners and jenz scored two goals in the opposition penalty area I would go for jenz who looks a threat with high balls into the box.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A stat that has him above Callum McGregor in the passing stakes there, would you agree Starfelt’s better on the ball than him or that this stat means nothing more than he’s good at playing it safe?

BelfastBhoy74 likes this.
  13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Jenz for me, offers a very good goal threat, for the most part so far he's looked composed, good headache for Ange to have.

14. apevrak

That stat means he hit his intended target more than anyone else in the league last season. As you would want from any CB playing in a system like Ange's. We can't have defenders not hitting their targets, especially not out in Europe where we will be punished if we're sloppy.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Which isn’t creativity. He plays it safe, more often than not five yards away to somebody else. In Europe you get punished far more with predictable passing and our players getting closed down to a higher quality.

Those stats really mean nothing, do you think Glen Kamara is a better passer than Callum McGregor? Never mind guys like Rogic, O’Riley etc not even appearing on the list.

AdamRS and CookieMonster like this.
  16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Starfelt is definitely the worst out of the 3 for ball playing, awkward on the ball at times and doesn’t break the lines as often as Welsh or Jenz. He’s also not as strong his left side as the other 2, Jenz by far the most comfortable with his left foot.

Starfelt is better defensively though than Welsh and Jenz, reads the game well and always positions himself great.

A very hard choice but a good one to have.

Hope N Ur Heart and Liam Scales like this.
  17. apevrak

The players you mention plays more advanced roles upfield and have to take more chances in passing, which means they're bound to miss more passes. That doesn't make them worse passers, quite the contrary, but you know that very well. My argument was that Starfelt was the best passer of our CB alternatives based on his pass percentage stats last season and deserve the spot besides CCV because of that stat among other things as well. To amount pressure on teams we need precision in passing and can't get overturned by poor passing when our back line is standing high up the pitch. You disagreed, but failed to make arguments that says otherwise, just banging on about how high pass percentage means he plays it safe all the time which is also wrong imo.

So tell me, what makes Jenz a better fit besides CCV than Starfelt this season?

18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think all three have different attributes. Jenz appears to be a bigger goal threat but I still need to see him up against tougher opposition to gauge just how good a defender he is, Starfelt is a better passer but tends to dive in and Welsh is a harder defender but technically not as good. I'm just thankful we can now have this type of debate re who's best for a certain position. Same applies with our GK, LB, RB and CF.

19. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Jenz and Starfelt will take turns.

Leone Naka Fan and Rydo1888* like this.
  20. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Agne has said in the past that he likes a settled pair of centre backs.