1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are we lacking

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dublin Celt, Dec 19, 2021.

Discuss Where are we lacking in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    As good as Kyogo is a a lone striker, id love to see a big CF and Kyogo playing off him with runs, like the old times with Sutton, Hartson feeding Larsson with hold up play.

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    And a set piece coach.

Not ridiculous at all mate, a decent low dollar call.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  3. themouth1888

Assuming Julien is actually ever gonna come back we need at an absolute minimum;

LB
    Normal CM
    Attacking CM (number 10 role)
    Left Wing
    Right Wing
    Striker

We need to lose 1 or 2 players in the process. The player we bring in can't be your Liam Shaws of this world tho

4. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    If we don't make shrewd signings in January we will lose the title race, it's as simple as that. This football can't be sustained without an in depth squad which is at its bare bones.

5. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    That person is giakoumakis who will come good I'm sure.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

players with iron hamstrings

7. Mr Cleansheets

That'll only * their quads...

8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Tbh the only position where we have two options that are really good for that one position is right back. The rest we are * if there is any injuries.

9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Hamstrings…….

But on a serious note, depth, we need midfielders (central with a engine and pace) we are lacking badly in this department and a Forward.

Left winger is a must as Jota is on the sidelines and I can’t see MJ getting any better and will end up on the sidelines soon enough.

10. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    I think it's obvious we need at least one other option in midfield - preferably two. And the same goes for the forward positions. But most likely we will sign one of each in January, which you would hope is enough for the rest of this season.

Midfield:

Bitton/McGregor/McCarthy for the 6 position

McGregor/Hatate for the 8 position

Rogic/Turnbull for the 10 position

Forwards:

Forrest/Maeda/Abada on the right

Kyogo/Maeda/GG/Abada in the middle

Jota/Maeda/Johnston/Moffat on the left

Hatate can double up as a back-up winger too.

Obviously this relies on Hatate and Maeda (also McGregor and Abada, to a lesser extent) covering a few positions, but it's not bad depth-wise.

Defence:

A bigger concern for me than it is for many other posters it seems, at least when it comes to personnel. We are all obviously concerned with the amount of goals we concede from set pieces. This has cost us in big games over the last couple of years. Very unlikely the huns would have beat us earlier this season but for a goal from a corner, for example. So it's clearly an ongoing issue but we need to resolve it ASAP

For me, this is partly a personnel issue, as we simply lack height all over the pitch. And then some players really lack aggression in the air - Starfelt being a key example. Really think we need a tall, commanding CB in January. And I'd like to see Scales bed in as a LB option.

Further to this, I feel there must be something we're either doing wrong - or just not doing at all - on the training ground when it comes to defending set-pieces. And offensive set pieces too, as we don't score often from them. This needs to be worked on starting yesterday.

This is not intended as a doom-and-gloom post, the thread is simply about what we're lacking. There's a real feel-good factor about Celtic at the minute, and long may it continue. Let's just hope we can iron out these few issues and really push on from here!

AdamRS likes this.
  11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Definitely need some height at the back, Welsh, Starfelt and CCV are all shortarses

12. Dip 'n' Swerve

i think forrest is burned out, we need a new direct winger similar to jota.

Foley1888 and Dublin Celt like this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Don't think we will get as many as that. Genuinely believe that we will get one winger in, like Maeda, who can play across the front 3 and Hatate, who can play as a normal central midfielder and an attacking central midfielder. If we got Ideguchi, then I think Hatate will be brought in to play at left back.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Japenese players.

15. Dip 'n' Swerve

luca connell looks to be ok, never given a fair crack of the whip.
    players like ralston and rogic under lennon
    every player deserves a chance to see if they can sink or swim.

16. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For me, we need to improve that defence big time. I really don’t rate Starfelt, he’s had a couple of good games and that’s it, at least from what I’ve seen.

Welsh needs more game time, I’d have him out on loan but not sure if he’ll ever be more than 3rd choice (hope he does but not seen it enough tbh).

Jullien will be back eventually, but we need another cb and a lb that are first team quality.

After that, I’d be looking at cm to add some depth and take a bit of pressure off mcgregor, turnbull and rogic. Bitton hasn’t been bad recently, I just don’t rate him for this type of football. McCarthy and soro aren’t good enough either imo. I don’t think any of the younger players are ready to step up, so 2 cms are needed at least. A creative attacking midfielder and an energetic player who can keep going all game.

I think upfront and on the wings were actually pretty good, Forrest, Abada, Johnston and Jota, I feel comfortable with them.

Upfront, Kyogo, Giakoumakis and Ajeti…. We need another striker in case Kyogo is out (like just now with all our injuries). I’d sell Ajeti, don’t think he suits our style.

Overall, we need a cb, lb, cm x 2 and a striker to have a good level of depth.

We should try get players not ready to be regulars out on loan to get the needed experience.

Id also sell , if we can move them on, Barkas, bolingoli, bitton, soro and Ajeti.

And please, let Ange sign some coaches that he wants/needs

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There is a group of players that you can hang your coat on, will deliver say 8 out of 10 games, Hart Ralston CCV, JJ, CalM, Jota, Tam, Kyogo.
    Then there is a group that will deliver 2 out of 10 games-Starfelt, Taylor, Turnbull, MJ, Dada, Forrest, Monty.
    There is also a group, like Welsh Scales Bitton that seem to do well when given a run but we dont see enough of.
    Thats nor even 20 players. While the squad is large, les than 20 can be trusted. So that means we have to flog players, play them way too often, resulting in the injuries we are now seeing.
    And thats where we are lacking, squad quality. The 3 * guys will defiantly strengthen the group. But we need a few more.

I am sure I have left out maybe one or 2 but thats the core of our squad.
    There's another group that will never come good, we should punt.
    * knows about big CJ, will he come back or will it be start go with him.