1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What we need in the Summer

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by HTG, Feb 1, 2022.

Discuss What we need in the Summer in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Someone who can coach these lads to defend a set-piece.

Dan Breen and thailandceltic like this.
  2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Quality CDM
    RW
    LW
    LB
    Backup goalie

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Lb, cb, cdm. Gk. See what happens with jota.

4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Set piece coach

Dan Breen and Rydo1888* like this.
  5. Pearse67*

Centre mids with pace, and a bit of toughness.

6. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This !!!

7. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    my kingdom for a LB after taylors embarassing performnace on thursday.

thailandceltic likes this.
  8. Pearse67*

Gk - siegrist is perfect.

LB - absolutely essential.
    Carter vickers and jota signed.
    Rw - that solbakken from bodo.
    DM- a tough defensive mid with pace.

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Left-back like a left-footed Lustig. Someone with height, capable from a set piece and defends them well.

Defensive midfielder who is quality in the air, like a pish version of Casemiro must be out there for European and bigger games where we need a bit more protection and who will help us defend and attack a set piece.

Centre back even like Mulgrew again who is quality in the air and calm on the ball.

3 tall * in those areas who are known for defending and scoring set pieces because we are * at both.

Lustig, Ledley and Mulgrew replicas would be fine if the Lustig one was a left-back.

The only 2 people who seem good in the air from set pieces for us are Welsh and Ralston and they don't really get a game and even when Ralston does he often doesn't get put in the box cause he defends for us. Jullien also but he's not played really.

Giakoumakis despite his strength and ability in the air so far i've not noticed him clearing them out our own box, Moussa Dembele and Samaras were prolific at that so thats disappointing from him.

Creativecelt likes this.
  10. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    LB and Holding midfielder should be our number 1 priotiers.. RW maybe but we do have Doak and Dembele coming through. Abada/Dembele/Doak could be a decent rotation.. Will probably need a LW if jota doesn't sign. Even if he does we will most likely need to sign one, unless we persist with MJ

11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Any * that can defend a set piece.. jeeez

Dan Breen and Wee Baldy like this.
  12. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    :56::56:
    This aged well

13. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Someone tall

14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    BIG TALL BALL WINNING CH - yes I'm shouting as I'm pig sick of seeing us ship countless goals from crosses, a decent LB, a big athletic box to box midfielder like the Bodo Glint guy the other night who ran the show and a back up GK in case Hart gets an injury

thailandceltic likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sometimes better to stop and think about what we currently have and then to figure out what we could/need to add to it.

I am going to exclude players I just don't think are good enough and then base my opinion on what completes these two squads.

Hart
    Josip, CCV, Julien, Left Back
    Hatate, McGregor
    Abada, Rogic, Jota
    Kyogo

GoalKeeper
    Ralston, Welsh, Starfelt, Left Back
    Turnbull, Bitton
    Forrest, Rogic, Left Winger
    Maeda

Tobi,
    Guchi,
    Giakoumakis
    25 man squad is needed for Europe and honestly I think getting a core 25 man squad is a good start, it covers you in every position and you can add to it with younger talent when needed.

Ideally we get CCV and Jota sorted permanently. We then need a backup Keeper - I personally was impressed with the young Tobi lad from the B squad and would be tempted to give him the backup role, but it would be a big step up and we would need to see him more in the first team squad before committing to him as the backup if Hart was injured - so in turn, yeah a keeper is needed.
    2 left backs needed, desperately.
    Left winger needed to rotate with Jota.
    Right winger potentially as well. Forrest just isn't the same player this season at all. If this form is a sign of who he is now he is in his 30s, then we can't be relying on him and should move him on. Too experienced and too highly paid to be a backup really. For me, Demebele would be getting game time and hoping he gets a new deal for the new season and is the rotation with Abada. However, much like Tobi in goals, that is a completely unproven circumstance and until we are confident in his ability to be a suitable backup, we may need to also go find another one who can do that for us.

As for the younger talent, to make a 25man squad fill out more, I would be looking towards Murray, Lawal, Kenny, Robertson, Monty, Shaw, Doak, Moffat, to all be showing signs of wanting to stake a claim for a position in the future, and/or be getting decent loan moves out to places like Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell again to continue their development with regular game time as these players in the next 2 years need to be taking a spot, or we start to look at the next crop of youngsters start to chap at the door.

Bringing in to the squad:

Goalkeeper
    Left back - 2 of
    Left Winger
    Right Winger

Moving on:
    Barkas,
    Bain,
    Taylor,
    Scales,
    Boli,
    Soro,
    McCarthy,
    Johnston,
    Forrest*
    Ajeti,
    Hazard,
    Doohan,
    Osaze,
    Connell,
    Afolabi

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  16. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

This is basically my thinking, too.

Debate for me just now is around DM, wonder if we might start playing McGregor further forward so possibly another option for there.

Peej likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Came in to post this..:56:

18. CountyDownFaithful

We still need a significant amount of signings IMO.

We’ve played some beautiful football this season but I still feel there is a few elements lacking; physicality, experience and quality.

I’d sell:

Bain
    Taylor
    Welsh
    Forrest
    McCarthy
    Ajeti
    Johnston
    Scales (Loan)
    Kenny (Loan)

Would like us to strengthen:

GK - Hart is class but we need a better understudy who can takeover as number 1 in the relatively near future.

CB - CCV must be made a permanent signing but we need to find him a rock-solid partner who is more comfortable with the ball than Starfelt.

LB - We need 2 LB’s. I’d move Taylor on permanently and loan Scales.

CDM - McGregor is great but he isn’t commanding or physical enough for European level. McGregor can be utilised further up the pitch in these games.

LW/RW - Even if we manage to get Jota signed, we will need more wingers for competition. Johnston and Forrest should both be moved on.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  19. celtic warrior

I think for the good in terms of stats with defensive record domestically...can't help but feel Starfelt could be upgraded on to help bring out a better CCV (assuming he's a permanent signing)

LB is an obvious which can't continue to be repeated, it's getting * boring now.

Rw and Lw need better options as guys like Johnstone and Forrest just aren't doing it anymore.

And for the love of * Christ real DM's that stops McGregor or Bitton from being used there and allows McGregor to play a more forward attacking role. We'd then have strong rotation for players available like O'Riley, Turnbull, Rogic, Ideguchi and Hatate.

20. Foley1888

A stronger supporting coaching team, as others have mentioned a set piece coach would definitely be part of that.

In terms of first team players I am not convinced Jota or CCV are going to sign meaning we need a direct quality replacement for both just to remain par with just now.

We then probably need a right winger to compete with Abada, Solbakken would be a perfect fit. Unless there is someone in the B team ready to step up we then probably need a prospect left winger to rotate with Jota or his replacement.

A left back is also a must, someone with good pace, who is a good footballer on the ball and capable of providing good support in attack to our left winger.

Depending how Ideguchi is possibly another DM who is strong defensively but also good on the ball. If we could land Riechedly Bazoer on a bosman. I know he plays centre back just now in a three but his skill set would make him an ideal 6 in an Ange team. He originally made a name for himself at Ajax playing that role.

I expect a bit of a clear out from the squad, Barkas, Boli (perm), Julien or Welsh, Orhoghide, Bitton, Soro and Ajeti may all find themselves out with Johnston, Montgomery, Shaw and Scales on loans.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022