1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

what lies ahead ?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by fuctifano1888, Jan 6, 2014.

Discuss what lies ahead ? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. fuctifano1888

I think we are at a pivotal time in our famous clubs history.

We really can't compete financially with the english top 30 or so clubs when trying to sign a player.

and will continue to lose our best players to the same mediocre teams.

I know the jury is still out on the likes of pukki but wouldn't you rather have saved the money and invested in our youth and the best of the spl.

Remember our proudest moment was made by local talent.

Do we continue as is?
    Or does something have to change?

2. Bangarangura

as is for me, Scottish youngsters are doing the best for a good few years, and our transfer policy is solid for us at the moment, its the same structure as the big Portuguese and dutch clubs basically and it is a very fruitful system.

3. MacEoghainn

I like where we're heading.

With most of the focus on the disappointments in the Champions League this year, the most disappointing match was (by-far), in my opinion, the Morton League Cup match. If we JUST won that, who knows? A Treble, maybe? I think many here wouldn't be slagging the team as much.

So, despite that ... we're doing O.K. I firmly believe that.

The crop of young talent coming outta Scotland right now is extraordinarily exciting/promising, and can't possibly be bad for our national team's prospects.

I like it. I like our squad. I want a few players shipped out (here's looking at you, Sammy), to freshen it up.

All of us know Champions League qualifiers are coming.

This is an exciting time.

4. DannyBhoy_1990

I think the transfer policy under Lennon's stewardship has been very impressive, and the goal of targeting young prospects with potential and good resale value has proved fruitful. However the numbers of young scottish talent we are producing is still way below the required level. In terms of going forward I would only be looking to bring players in that satisfy two main criteria. 1 they will improve and be first team starting eleven players and 2 they will be of champions league quality; otherwise keep the money and bring through the youth.

5. Glorious1967

Buy 1 top class player and 1 decent player every summer, the old Liverpool way

6. wulliebad

I think we are on the slide,on our way down in europe anyway.
    IMO we have some tough years ahead.
    We lost our spine last summer and i think we will lose FF,ledley and sammy between now and next summer.
    And will us failing to find even half the replacements we need we could be in trouble.

7. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    With a 3rd consecutive league title and CL campaign on the horizon, things are looking very good for us.

The financial gains of being in this position is enormous for us.

If we're only starting to look like we're going to spend big money (relatively speaking) on transfers after just 2 back-to-back CL seasons, then imagine what we'll be doing if we get in a 3rd time, then a 4th...

If we do make it 4 CL campaigns in a row (no reason why we can't) then we'll have hit the inaugural season of the new and lucrative BT contract which means even more winnings.

The future is looking very bright.

8. Vertie Auld

It's all dependent on qualifying for the Champions League. Do it consistently for the next 8-10 years and we'll perhaps be on a level playing field with Porto, Benfica and Ajax.

9. Vertie Auld

We've really outgrown this league. The gulf between us and the rest is too great (including the Huns). That's not necessarily devastating though. Olympiacos, Porto, Benfica & Shakhtar have been utterly dominant in their domestic leagues for the past 15 to 20 years and have enjoyed great success in Europe. Galatasaray as well, to a lesser extent.

10. scomur1888

Making the champions league each year is crucial and we have enough co-officent points to keep us seeded in the playoff round each year if/when we get past the easier rounds.

Although the last 16 appears to be beyond us for the foreseeable future,3rd place is/should be our target each season to get European football after christmas,this will see is ticking along nicely whilst racking up some important co-officent points along the way.

11. SpellCheck92

I said that last season and we got into the last 16 with 10 points. I think with the experience gained from that campaign and the experience of getting pumped out this season actually improves our chances of getting into the CL and doing will next season. The management and players know what it takes to win and avoid getting pumped. With a couple of decent signings (one being a prolific striker) then I don't see how the last 16 is beyond us.

12. SpellCheck92

You make a good point about the BT contract. We need a piece of that.

13. Derrybhoy1

Definitely, no doubt it's going to just make the elite, well, even more elite. But if we consistently get in the groups, then the increase in money will bring us that little bit closer to bottom half EPL teams.

Sounds ridiculous because even if we double our income from 15m to 30m (I'm pretty sure I read it basically doubles our European TV income?) we'll still not have all the riches of the midtable mediocrity English teams :smiley-laughing002:.

14. ulsterscot

We are on the right road . How long does it take us to get
    anywhere near our destination depends on Champions
    League Qualification every year . Last year and this year we
    picked up commendable co - efficiency points . We still have
    three years of little or no points to shred and by then hopefully
    less or no qualification ties .

15. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

our only chance is to go the ajax rout and look round the world for young players build and sell them

16. ulsterscot

Aviator it would appear we have already been doing this .

17. SpellCheck92

I wouldn't mind seeing us create a few Sneijders and Eriksens of our own :icon_mrgreen:

18. fuctifano1888

Yes that is the kind of thing we have been doing ourselves but I think it lacks true foresight. The more teams that try this the tougher it is to find the diamond.

I think that as Scotland no.1 team we should be developing Scotland's best, giving them 1st team experience and building a dream for all young kids to aspire to.

I truly believe the talent is here we have just been to lazy to really invest and develop.

19. ulsterscot

In the short period of time did we not create a big Vic and a goalkeeper .

20. ulsterscot

Surely we have scoured the world , Honduras , Nigeria , Kenya Mexico
    Sweden Australia , Israel England Wales to mention a few that
    come to mind .