1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youssouf Mulumbu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2018.

Discuss Youssouf Mulumbu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Still not too old hes 32 in janaury.Could still get 2 to 3 seasons from him.Browns 33 just now.Just seen mulumbu was cappd a few times for france u21,also won west brom player of year one season in the epl.We seen last year at killie hes far from finishd.

2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He’s pretty much still in his prime, a lot of experience and will be huge for Europe and to let Broony have a rest.

Crilly likes this.
  3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Dying to see him in the hoops. Seems very eager to get up and running. Nice to see. Good player too with plenty of experience

DoTheBroony and Artorias like this.
  4. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

do you think we'll play him and brown in the same team maybe in europe ?

5. northeast67

I doubt it, think he'll direct replace him to rest brown.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

YOUSSOUF MULUMBU didn’t arrive at Celtic as a big-name signing.

But given time, the former Kilmarnock midfielder reckons he can become one.

Mulumbu signed a two-year deal with the Parkhead club just before the transfer window closed last Friday.

He wasn’t the multi-million pound arrival Celts supporters were hoping manager Brendan Rodgers would land.

But the Congo ace insists he can play his way into the hearts of the Hoops fans.

Mulumbu said: “Big names happen when you play well.

“I can be a big name in a few months if I score against Rangers and play good games. It’s all about performances.

“I know there is pressure on the team and club, but I’m ready for that.

“I have experience and ability to play. I’m ready and excited to be in the squad.

“I need to be patient, but my talks with the manager were really clear. I’m aware of all the players here.

“It’s a big club and there is always competition. But if you show up well in training and on the pitch, you are going to get your chance.

“I’m here to help the young lads like Olivier Ntcham and Callum McGregor. I know Scott Brown very well, too.

“I can play different positions, which is an advantage for me. When the gaffer needs me, I’ll be ready.”

Mulumbu is 31 now, but he insists age is no barrier.

He added: “I played on the fake grass last season and it was quite hard. But I don’t feel 31.

“I don’t want to talk that much. I want to show it on the pitch. This is all I do. I prefer to be quiet and not be arrogant.

“I always work hard for the team. I know the fans will be happy with my work and we are going to win some titles, for sure.”

Mulumbu turned out to be a surprise signing for Celtic, but he knew they were interested.

He said: “I first heard of Celtic’s interest three weeks ago. My agent called and he had spoken to the board, so after that I had to have a chat with the manager.

“Once I had done that it was ‘Let’s go!’. Then it was the longest two weeks of my life until the deal was finally done.

“I had to be patient. I was texting my agent every hour, but I’m looking forward to it.

“I’m 31, but I still have the legs. Once you hit 30 in football people think you’re old, but I proved last season that I can help this team.

“I was feeling good after that first training session. I’m excited, obviously, and very happy to be here.

“Maybe I didn’t realise how big this club was before, but I do now and I’m so happy to be here.

“This was an easy decision for me. When a manager like Brendan Rodgers calls, you don’t hesitate.

“I played against Celtic last season and I could feel the atmosphere and sense the pressure they were under and that’s different from Killie. You can’t compare the two.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I believe that I will be a good match for Celtic.

“I had other offers and I was looking for the best option. Once I heard about Celtic I told my agent to make it happen. We made the decision to come here and the welcome was good.

“I spoke with Brendan before and I saw the lads on Thursday at the stadium and I enjoyed the reaction of the fans at the match against Suduva.”

The fact Rodgers wanted to sign Mulumbu was crucial to the midfielder’s final decision.

He said: “That was really important for me. I had that kind of scenario at Norwich where I didn’t really play. I didn’t want that to happen again.

“It was important to make sure I have a good chemistry with the manager. Everything was clear with him and I know my role in the team and what I can add to the team.”

Mulumbu ended last season with Kilmarnock but decided it was time to quit Rugby Park and move on.

He said: “I was clear with my agent that I wanted to play at the highest level possible.

“For me the highest level was the English Premier League, but if it didn’t happen the other option was Celtic.

“I can say I’m lucky to be here, but at the same time, my performances brought me here.

“It wasn’t really a gamble because I knew something big was going to happen.”

Mulumbu loved his time with Killie and Steve Clarke.

He added: “I went there because of Steve. That was a big balance in my decision. I didn’t go there for money.

“It went well and we had a great season. Then I wanted to play for a big team.

“I was lucky to score against Celtic and maybe my performance brought me here

7. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    Already love the guy. Can't wait to see him take the field. Wonder what this means for Nir Bitton as I hear he's close to being back from injury and they'll both fill this kinda auxiliary central midfield role, not that they necessarily play the same position or have the same attributes as players.

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Hes one of these guys who you just know everyone will love and want to do well. Lets just hope he does for us what he showed he can last season

Tommy25, neilly1987 and Liam Scales like this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Calling it now, cult hero in waiting..

10. Grace

Think he's gonna be a very clever signing.

Tommy25 and neilly1987 like this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Cannot wait until the big man starts playing, he's going to be a huge asset in europe too.

neilly1987 and JC Anton like this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Away in Europe
    Gordon
    Ajer Boyata Benkovic
    Forrest Brown Mulumbu KT
    Ntcham McGregor
    Edouard

13. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Broony is a machine, sure he plugs himself into a 110 volt battery charger overnight and thats him good to go again :56:

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Exactly what i would go with. I love big tam but in the upcoming games (Especially leipzig and Salzburg) we need to be slightly more defensive.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  15. Cmcgregor90

It
    What we have needed since wanyama left we need a bit of rough in the middle a bully boy im actually excited to see him hopefully next friday

Tommy25 and MagnificentSeven like this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    As much as i agree he will add some steel..don't underestimate his ability on the ball.

He showed some tekkers at Killie. Bit of an allrounder.

neilly1987 and MagnificentSeven like this.
  17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, him Brown & Ntcham should be a proper solid unit in the Europa.

Tommy25 and MagnificentSeven like this.
  18. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Brendan Rodgers has removed you as a friend.

19. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    It's not always the cost of a player wich brings value and quality to the first team , we spent 3m on Kouassi and we could have easily have spent another 3.5m on McGinn.

I Think Mulumbu will offer more to us than both he's got vast experience over either also and was one of the best players in the league last season , Mobile , strong and can pass.

20. jj81

Was this the chap that scored a 40 harder against us at home ?