1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KG-Henrik

Don’t think he’ll cut it at Celtic. Even Aberdeen fans don’t want him again. He’s had a poor season on loan. Can’t see him even getting a chance at Celtic. Pointless him hanging around. He’s only proved he’s as good as GMS and he couldn’t cut it here.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Sell him to Hibs and give Mikey Johnstone a chance over Christie.

Seems like a decent bhoy, bit not of our standard.

freitassen likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE players who have come away on Scotland’s tour of Peru and Mexico know that, despite the calibre of the individuals who have stayed at home, acquitting themselves well in the coming week will enhance their prospects of being involved at international level again in the future.

But Ryan Christie, the Celtic attacking midfielder who has been on loan at Aberdeen for the past 10 months, is convinced that giving a good account of himself in South and Central America in the next six days could have a direct bearing on how he fares at club level in the coming months as well.

Christie will return to the Scottish champions for pre-season training next month intent on finally, three years after joining them in a £500,000 transfer from Scottish Cup winners Inverness Caledonian Thistle, establishing himself as a first team regular at Parkhead in the new season.

It will be a tall order. The 23-year-old will have ferocious competition for a starting spot with Brendan Rodgers’s side, not least from the much-improved Callum McGregor, during the 2018/19 campaign. His employers could, too, easily bring in reinforcements in his position during the close season as they seek to maintain their domestic dominance and improve their chances of doing well in Europe.

Christie, though, believes he is ready. He has matured as a direct result of both of his temporary spells at Pittodrie, where he has helped Derek McInnes’s team finish second ahead of Rangers in the Ladbrokes Premiership in the past two seasons, and from his involvement in the national set-up.

He is confident that getting a run-out against either Ricardo Gareca’s charges in the National Stadium here in Lima on Tuesday night or Juan Carlos Osorio’s men in the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City on Saturday in friendly games which will be played in front of capacity crowds of 45,000 and 87,000 respectively, will prove invaluable to his development as a footballer.

This trip has been dogged by controversy since it was first announced way back in January; many Celtic and English-based players have been excused from travelling and no fewer than six of those who were named in the original 24-man squad have withdrawn.

However, Christie, whose athleticism and invention have made him arguably Aberdeen’s most effective and important player in the past 18 months, can only see the benefits from the jaunt across the Atlantic.

“I’m pleased with how the season has gone,” said Christie. “Towards the end of the season, you tend to look back. If you’d have said at the start of the season that I would have made my Scotland debut and be named in this squad then I would have been absolutely delighted.

“Once you get into the international set-up it’s important you stay there. It’s important for me. I was delighted to make my debut against the Netherlands at Pittodrie in November. It was amazing to play in that game. It was the highlight of my career so far. I’ve had a taste of international football and of course you want more.

“We obviously had a great season at Aberdeen, finishing second in the league once again. Getting a Scotland call-up is perhaps a reflection and reward for that. But these games are also the start for me.

“You don’t really get a close season any more and it’s important I do well in these games because I am obviously heading back to Celtic for pre-season. I really want to kick on, I want to start pre-season on a high. I want to show that I am good enough to play there.”

Christie added: “I am a different player than I was 18 months ago. I have helped Aberdeen finish runners-up again. I feel I am an all-round better player. I have a hunger and desire to win games. At Aberdeen we really pushed on so I think these are important qualities I can take with me back to Celtic.”

“I am also involved at international level. These games are totally new to me as they are to most of the boys. Most of us haven’t been in this part of the world before. Most of us haven’t come up against this sort of opposition. We are facing two teams who are going to the World Cup so we know it will be tough.

“But you want to test yourself against these teams. We know the games will be challenging, but we are more than confident we can get a couple of good results. These are the games you want to be involved in.”

Christie, who has made just 13 appearances for Celtic and scored just two goals since moving to Glasgow back in 2015, has been urged to make the most of his appearances for his country in conversations with Rodgers since he was named in the squad. He predicted that going away with Scotland will help him to make an impact and convince the Northern Irishman he deserves an extended run.

“He told me to enjoy this trip, come back from pre-season and then we’d take things from there,” he said. “I need to hit the ground running, I know that. You can always worry about losing your sharpness.

“I always enjoy pre-season and I know how important this one is for me. I need to have a good pre-season, but I have every confidence I can come in and be a success at Celtic. I know I can fit into the manager’s plans and really kick start my Celtic career.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Bellshill Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Stuart Armstrong
    Does anybody see him playing on the right midfield? Has more chance playing there, played the position for Aberdeen and can challenge Forrest.

Whilst he isn’t paddy he does give the option of a left footed winger who can cut inside. Can stake his claim there.

Thoughts?

5. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Willing to give him a chance. Upto BR ultimately though and he knows best. Domestically he'd cut it, but we're sorted domestically for the foreseeable so it's tough to assess if he's adding anything extra to the squad and if not, he should be moved on.

6. Jeremie Frimpong

That’s utter nonsense.

7. freitassen

With Edouard signed, we now have zero reasons to keep Christie as he was our best option as an emergency back up striker.

We could get a good 3 million for him

8. KG-Henrik

well i stay in Aberdeenshire and know for a fact its true that many people have that opinion

9. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

He’s not a striker, should be given a chance don’t see why everyone is eager to get rid

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Isn't good, strong or quick enough..

Should sell..

Think we will..

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Extend his contract and loan him to an English Championship team next season. I wouldn't sell him now when his value is low as he has really good technique on the ball, nice touch, good passer/shooter/crosser and will likely go on to be a good player at a decent level. If he went on loan to a team like Bolton or sumcunt he'd likely have a good season and we'd be able to get more money once other English Championship teams take notice of him.

Aberdeen was a bad move as they're a pish footballing side and he's a link-up type player and the guys around him weren't, Hibs would have been a better fit really.

If he goes to the Championship down there he is talented enough to do a Snodgrass, McCormack, Dorrans etc

For us I think he lacks strength for the number 10 as we mostly play teams with everybody back and he lacks pace for out wide but in more open games like English Championship level he'd be suited and flourish more.

Jordann likes this.
  12. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm a fan of Christie but he likes to play in behind the striker & there is noway he is playing before Big Tam. We have tried him upfront & out wide & he wasn't great there.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Agreed actually..

Stock is low. How longs he got left?

Definitely loan him to England instead of the long ball sheep shaggers..

Isn't good enough for us, shouldn't mean isn't worth fuckall....which is what Scottish side's particularly seem to get the begging bowl out for in exchange for a pack of haribos..

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye just need to look at Madison from Norwich and Grealish from Aston Villa, i''d say they are really similar styles of player to Christie and both had good seasons down there, even if he only done half as well as them he'd still likely be seen as a £5million player at that level but no reason he couldn't get 10/15 goals and 10/15 assists at that level.

We should actually make good use of that League for players we don't want as theres money in it and it's not that good a League really - Barry * Douglas looks like Marcelo in it. Tom Cairney and Snodgrass are two of the very best players and even guys like Darnell Fisher and John Fleck had good seasos. They also have managed to make Callum Paterson look a player....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    freitassen likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye. A Charlie Adam isn't a much better player than him and that fat mess has had some mental priced moves..

If he was loaned to a Sheffield United/Ipswich or that. He'd do well I've no doubt and the top 6 or so in that league would spend silly money on him..

ILoveTheCeltic likes this.
  16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    A lot of players who wouldn't get a game for us are highly valued and have been down there.

They think Tom Cairney is quality and different class - what would they make of Rogic or McGregor?

Same in centre-mid, if Paterson and Jackson Irvine can run amok what would Armstrong do?

Even that Kevin McDonald of Fulham is well rated, they'd be worshipping someone like Bitton down there.

17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

what about a formations with 3 attacking midfielders inside left, inside right and attacking midfielder no 10

1 upfront dembele or edouard

and the wide men being tierney and forrest could be playing them as wing backs

so edouard

mcgreggor rogic christie

brown ntcham

tierney commper boyata forrest

tierney could sit in for cover againt some of the better teams cause he is defensively good forrest just a winger playing right back he'd be like our own brazilian wing back

think in this formation it would suit christie and i think this is the way we look to be setting up in our ambitions under brendan

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always said it. Cairney is valued at 40 mill but wouldn't get in our side, and doesn't in front of our contingent for Scotland..

John Fleck at Sheffield United. Paul Gallagher runs it for Preston. Bryson at Cardiff but mainly at Derby before that. Ross Wallace has been a main player at Sheffield Wednesday for year's..

Could list loads..

Just fairly average/decent player's..

19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Completely agree with everything there, been thinking we don't take advantage of it enough. I think Jack Ross going to Sunderland could be great for us, he already knows how strong our players are and has a good relationship with Rodgers. I know league one just now, but I reckon he'll do well there and get them back up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, I think as long as a player is 'steady' enough and has ok quality they can do really well in that League. It isn't really suited to inconsistant or lazy players so guys like Stokes, Barrie McKay, Scott Allan and that wouldn't cut it as they're not consistent enough or offer enough work-rate even though technically and skill wise they'd probably be among the best in their positions in the League but guys of lesser talent but more about them can flourish like Chris Martin, Chris Burke, Ross Wallace, Scott Arfield and Kevin McDonald types for example.

McGregor
    Hutton Hanley Mulgrew Douglas
    Bannan Irvine
    Snodgrass Cairney Wallace
    Hooper

De Vries, Lindsay, Fox, Paterson, K.McDonald, Waghorn, Garner
    A squad about that standard would be seen as a very good team in the English Championship and contenders for promotion yet imagine that was our squad, * would be jumping from the upper tier :56:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    freitassen and McChiellini.. like this.