1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Celtic Jonjoe Kenny!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Feb 1, 2021.

Discuss Welcome to Celtic Jonjoe Kenny! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JONJOE Kenny has admitted he is keen to settle down at one club after four loan spells in six years – but acknowledged he has to keep performing at a high level for Celtic in the coming weeks to seal a permanent switch to Parkhead this summer.

Kenny joined the Glasgow club from parent club Everton in January after Jeremie Frimpong was signed by Bayer Leverkusen in Germany and shortly before Hatem Abd Elhamed returned to his native Israel.

The 24-year-old has impressed in his performances for John Kennedy’s side – he has lost just one of the 10 matches he has been involved in – and many fans would like to see him make his move to Scotland full-time in the summer.

The defender, who has had temporary stints at Wigan Athletic, Oxford United, Schalke 04 in in Germany since 2015, would certainly like to establish himself at one club after a nomadic career to date.

The right back is keeping his options open and is, with Kennedy still in temporary charge and no sign of a successor for Neil Lennon being announced, focusing on helping Celtic to win matches.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of my time here,” he said. “To come to a club of the stature of Celtic has been very good for me. Personally I haven’t heard anything about my future. There are a lot of games to go and things to sort out.

“I just want to take it week by week. I’ve got to stay focus on what I’ve got to do, which is performing to the maximum of my ability every week. I think I’ve done okay on my loan spells. I’ve been to some great places and enjoyed it and had some good seasons.

“But as a player you want to have a home for the long term, wherever that may be. I want to get the head down and really push on. The discussions will go on but I need to go out and perform.”

Kenny, who should feature in the Premiership match against Livingston at Parkhead this afternoon, would certainly like to experience playing in front of the full Celtic support when lockdown restrictions are eased

The former England Under-20 internationalist made his debut in the Glasgow derby match last month and is eagerly anticipating playing against Rangers at Ibrox a week today.

“It would be a massive experience to play at a full Celtic Park,” he said. “I’ve heard the stories and it’s a shame I’ve not had the chance to experience it.

“The Old Firm game was a great experience. Of course you know how big the fixture is, but until you play in it, you don’t really know. You can see what it means to people.

“The cup game at Ibrox is one to look forward to but we need to look to the next game against Livingston. You don’t want to look too far ahead but we all know what the cup tie means and the magnitude of the game. But we will deal with that went it comes.

Kenny played for the England team that won the Under-20 World Cup in South Korea back in 2017 and would dearly love to lift another piece of silverware this season and ensure Celtic don’t finish the 2020/21 season trophyless.

“The World Cup was a great thing to win with England, but you have to move on and it would be nice to have a Scottish Cup winner’s medal,” he said.

“It was a great achievement in South Korea at the time. I don’t think I got how massive it was back home so it was a great thing to do and a brilliant experience.

“We were away for six weeks experiencing tournament life. It’s a nice thing to look back on, but you always need to move on and you want to win more.”

Kenny added: “As a player you want to win trophies and medals and this club has a culture of winning. We want to keep going and end the season with a trophy.

“Celtic have won the Scottish Cup four times in a row, but it’s not about having a responsibility to keep it, it’s about the team wanting to win as many trophies as possible.

“Winning the cup and having a positive end to the season would give a bit back to the fans. It would be a nice way to finish.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    10 million or 1 million. No thanks.

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't think he's as bad as some make out, but at the same time for the prices that are touted for him we can do a lot better.

Tommy25 and martin_d like this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He is not good enough for us. He has a * nose bleed if he gets 3/4 up the park and turns around passes the ball back.

We need attacking defenders who can cross a ball and likes to get up and down the pitch.

He needs to be avoided at all costs, no more passengers going forward.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I wouldn’t be entirely against it if he was signed as a backup RB, for around the £1m mark.

When you compare him to Lustig, Frimpong, even El Hamed in his short time here, he’s well below that level though, and that’s the level we really need to aspire to.

6. celtic warrior

In struggling to judge him.

If 1 mill maybe even 2.5 mill gets him in and get a proper coaching structure in place, I'm sure guys like him, ajeti, Klimala, even Barkas could come good.

Our defence has been ripped to shreds this last 2 years and it needs an overhaul, we could do worse then signing him and also look for a more experienced rb as well

7. Lewis Kerr

I'd only keep him as a back up.

Nowhere near the standard we require.

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    I wouldn't sign him. Not good enough defensively or offensively. One of those guys that'll be 2nd choice or 3rd choice at any half decent team I think.

9. Dubliner1

If we could get him for under 3 million I would sign him. He's a decent player

10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No way should we be spunking 3M for a squad player, look at the pigs ear we made of the LB position with two 3M players that cant cut the mustard.
    Spend 3 or 4M on a nailed on starter

NomDePlum and Maestro 08 like this.
  11. Maestro 08

It can be hard to still get that kind of guaranteed value in today's market. 3/4 million doesn't always get you much these days, that's the problem. That's where having a top scouting team comes into play, unfortunately we don't seem to have that right now.

Scandinavian market probably still offers that and has served us vey well over the years. I'm surprised we don't shop there more often. Young lad that tore us up for AC Milan was bought from Bodo Glint for that kind of money, exact type of deal we should have been doing.

Ajer is another example and the young lad Hjelde on loan at Ross County is highly thought of. Even Elyounoussi started out at Molde. So many top talents at good value.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

Honestly no better than the likes of Stephen O’Donnell.

Not his fault like, seems an honest boy, but nah.

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Always knew he was a dud. Can’t handle the pressure

14. DonnyCelt

Get this * tae *

Conjuring_Obey likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Cut the loan deal short. What's the point..

16. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    At this point you’d rather give it to an up an coming player that at least wants to prove a point.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No danger I'd rather put some academy boy's in instead of these fannies..

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Every bit as bad if not worse than Duffy in terms of impact on the season and performances. Genuinely awful yet some daft English team will throw money at him

The Phoenix likes this.
  19. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Absolute diddy. Honestly rather have Ralston play

20. CFC.1

Honesty one of the worst players I’ve seen I think