1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DAVID TURNBULL sealed his £3.25million move from Motherwell to Celtic before admitting the collapse of the deal last year was the worst time of his life.

The Hoops first moved for the Scotland Under-21 midfielder in June last year.

But Turnbull’s medical showed he required surgery for an unexpected knee injury.

He then spent six months in rehab, only returning to Well’s first-team weeks before lockdown.

A further operation in the spring confirmed Turnbull, 21, was finally on the road back.

And as SunSport exclusively revealed earlier this week, Celts resurrected the move on the same terms as previously agreed, with the midfielder signing a four-year contract at Parkhead.

Turnbull said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be here, especially after what happened last year. I’m ready to hit the ground running.

“I feel I’ve started well this season and I want to carry that on with Celtic. To join the biggest club in Scotland, I’m just delighted.

“Looking back, the injury was the worst time of my life.

“It was so hard to take, but I knew if I worked hard and kept my head down, the chance could come around again, so long as I stuck to it. Now I can’t wait to get started.”

Turnbull has started all five league games for Motherwell so far this season, scoring one goal in the 2-2 draw with Livingston.

He excelled in the derby defeat to Hamilton at Fir Park last Saturday — his last game for the Steelmen.

His move was confirmed hours after Celtic’s Champions League exit to Ferencvaros and hours before Well’s Europa League clash with Glentoran last night.

And Turnbull — who signed for Well as a schoolboy — could now make his Celtic debut against his former club at Parkhead on Sunday.

He added: “The success of Celtic in recent seasons has been incredible.

“They’ve been so consistent as well, which is the root of their success. As soon as I’m required, I’m ready.

I’ve played in the first five games of the season and I’ve managed to get a goal. I feel really fit and I’m just raring to go.

“I grew up playing with Motherwell, and while we were involved in cup finals, there was maybe less of an expectation to get there.

“It’s the opposite at Celtic, so to be involved in big games, tournaments and cups would be an honour for me and my family.”

Motherwell tweeted their best wishes to Turnbull and the midfielder says he also owes the club a debt of gratitude.

He said: “I want to thank everyone at Motherwell, the staff, players and the fans, for everything they’ve done for me so far in my career.

“Particularly the physio, David Henderson, who has helped me so much over the last year. I owe him so much.

“I am a Motherwell fan, so I leave with a heavy heart. I’ve made memories and friends for life at a club I’ve been involved with all my life.”

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Got his heid screwed on.

Despite the events of last night, this is a fantastic bit of business.

High hope's for him if I'm.honest.

3. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Pleased to see this deal done. Quality player.

An upgraded Stuart Armstrong.

4. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

it must have been hard nearly getting a dream move, into the big time, big wages, on your way to being a star, only to get it killed in the celtic medical hours from signing the deal, but the promise from celtic that if he gets fixed, the deal could be on a year from now when hes proved fitness

shows a fair bit of the new bhoys character

all the best

only seen some youtube stuff and he seems strong on the ball and good finisher doesnt seem to be flashy, dont think hes a rogic type player, im thinking a box to box midfielder

2 to 3 years here and then onto the premiershp for some decent cash If he gets some games that is

5. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Wonder if he's match fit though. And how long it will take him to integrate into the squad. If it's anything like Soro we might see him start before his contract expires.

6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I’d start him against Motherwell, the team needs fresh faces and a change up.

7. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think he's gonna do very well here. Glad we got this done.

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Would like to have seen the likes of Euan Henderson or Scott Robertson go to them on loan as part of the deal.
    How much did we pay?

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Suspect he is

10. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Was only joking!!

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: (on Turnbull signing) - “I’m absolutely delighted. We’ve got a brilliant young Scottish talent. He’s overcome a lot of obstacles and that speaks volumes for his character. He’s a top player and I want him to flourish here.”

NL: (on David Turnbull) - “He’s dome brilliantly. He’s got a touch of class about him and he’s a very good finisher from midfield which is a rarity in the modern game.

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. Henke102

Solid piece of business, knows the league, and now over his injury problems.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Speaking of his new signing, Neil Lennon said he’s ready to hit the ground running and will feature in his matchday squad against his former employer.

He added: “I’m delighted with bringing in David Turnbull. He’s a brilliant, young Scottish talent. We wanted him this time last year, he’s overcome a number of obstacles and that speaks a lot for his character. I hope he flourishes here.

“I think he’s done brilliantly. We’ve had a look at him over the last few games and he’s got a real touch of class about him, which is a rarity in the modern game. David comes in knowing the values of the club, what it means to the supporters and what it means to the Scottish game. Coming here is exciting for him, it’s a challenge, and I think it’s one that he’s really looking forward to.

“It’s been a bit stop-start for Motherwell this season so far, but Stephen has to keep evolving his team. He loses players every year, he’s lost another one now to us, but he always seems to find a way. They had a brilliant season last year until the pandemic stopped it.

"I think Sunday will be a tough game. Stephen has got some exuberance and some energy in the team, but it’s a game that we want to use to get back on track after the last defeat and get back to winning ways as quickly as possible.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I've no idea what Lenny means by "he’s got a real touch of class about him, which is a rarity in the modern game.". He comes out with some weird quotes at times.

17. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Had to look twice there , thought he went to the same barbers as moreorless !

Tommy25 and Marty McFly like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DT: It feels brilliant to be here. I'm here now and I want to play as much as I can.

DT on joining #CelticFC: "It's a huge club, everybody knows that. It gives me confidence knowing that the club wanted me to sign."

DT on recovering from injury: "I took it day by day. Some days it was tough. My teammates and the physio helped me a lot and I knew I'd get back to the player I was."

DT: "I'm just focused on training as hard as I can, and pushing my new teammates and they'll push me too. I believe in my ability and feel I can come here and make an impact."

@10DavidTurnbull
    's message to the #CelticFC fans: "I'm delighted to be here and can't wait to get started!"

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Anyone know what number he's got?