1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I agree with you to an extent but the players who have been through the heat and intensity of international games will help the youngsters settle.

2. AussieAnge

Ange needs to shut the noise out. With his appointment Celtic have gained all of Australia's support. But the frenzy in Australia is getting extreme. No, this appointment does not create some soft of alliance between Australian football and Celtic. This is Ange's opportunity and he doesn't need to share it with Australian football. That means no token signings of players simply because they are Australian. I could probably name 3-4 Australian players who could realistically sign & would improve Celtic. But my * some of the names being dropped by my fellow Australians who have now adopted Celtic make me shat myself.

Ange would have more success bringing over some of Japanese mates from Yokohama. Its where Nakamura got his start

3. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Good to see a sensible post from an Aussie perspective other than some of the madness I've read lately.

Welcome to the forum.

Free the Adblock and Jeannie960 like this.
  4. Mr Cleansheets

If Ange signs any Australians it will only be those who already have work permits and already playing (played) in Europe. Mooy and Ryan are the standouts but others like McGree could do a job.

He'll be very wary of signing Aussies but on the plus side - they would tend to be cheaper than their Euro equivalents and he'll already know whether they suit his system.

5. MAP

I've just read the contract is a 12 month rolling contract; my first thought was what a vote of no confidence! Anyone else read it this way?

I suspect the devil might well be in the detail, with benchmarks to be met year-by-year (love to know what those might be).

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, it's not that at all. A 12 month rolling contract is standard practice at Celtic.

7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yeah I’m with you on this. Out of those names mentioned Hrustic from the Bundesliga is the only one who meets the grade, but he’s made his breakthrough so I can’t see it. Mooy and Mat Ryan being the other two that make the grade here.

Another Aussie here who has been supporting Celtic since Rogic came onboard. I get the enthusiasm for Ange, but Australian’s need to understand that Celtic is a huge club. The quality of players that go to Celtic are one step removed from going to a top 5 league and most likely the PL. If a player isn’t ready to make the step from Celtic to the PL in a year or two, then they aren’t good enough to mention. It might sound harsh but none of those players(other than the three I mentioned) are ready and that’s the reality.

trackebhoy, VT8 and Jeannie960 like this.
  8. MAP

I'd have thought wage demands from Mooy and Ryan might be a little too high for them to be considered. Irvine I can see as someone who might be considered given his history; I haven't seen too much of McGree this year for Birmingham.

If foreigners come in, my first thought is they'll be Japanese; I think from memory however that Ange did bring in 3 or so Brazilians to play across the front line for Marinos (and who performed well).

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Must've felt the same when Rodgers joined?

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I thought that most of our managers were on a 12 month rolling contract.....sure Lennon was? That really does mean nothing. It's just the way clubs do business. Even if it weren't I don't think that there's any harm in him or the club approaching things with caution. Realistically benchmarks would be winning at least one cup in the coming season. From a personal perspective I want him to win the league right off :56:I don't really see it with the squad we have but managers and players at Celtic / Sevco have to hit the ground running. That's the pressure and the demands of the game in Glasgow. I pray that this guy is the answer and stops us going into freefall.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Do any of the Aussie bhoys know or anyone for that matter.. Does he have a regular no2 that goes with him through his managerial appointments?

12. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Irvine not good enough and McGree struggled to get into a struggling Birmingham team, suggests he’s not there yet.

13. MAP

:50:

14. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Like Einstein said; Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome = Madness.

15. Mr Cleansheets

My understanding is that McGree played the last few matches for Birmingham and did well. Only 22, and is a genuine talent. Can play #10 or wide.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  16. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

The Athenian *

I like it

SteveyNico67 and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    He’s definitely next in line of the upcoming players from Australia, he’d be a project if he came here IMO. Ange needs ready players though, he’s got to be winning from the get-go.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  18. MAP

Irvine is off contract; knows the Scottish landscape (and was a Celtic junior); and, knows Postecoglou's style of play. If I am a manager who might have to 'hit the ground running', I can see why he might be considered.

I don't consider him a world beater; I don't consider him that bad that he'd be off the radar.

I am particularly excited to see this years incomings and outgoings player-wise, given where we are; perhaps that's the lack of football talking.

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I’d fear for Ange’s future if he has to rely on Irvine.

Also excited to see who we get, such a big rebuild to be done here.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

This is why all the new aussie posts on here aren't being taken serious. Jackson Irvine is pish, nowhere near the level required. No even close.