1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We will never get respect from down south.

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Lilac Wine, Apr 17, 2019.

Discuss We will never get respect from down south. in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hi, sorry if this has been already discussed but I did a search and couldn't find one.

Basically I was listening to BT Sports pundits during the 3pm games they can't show on Saturdays and Robbie Savage came out with this mysterious comment when talking about how he coulnd't understand why Celtic fans were giving Rodgers so much grief considering all the amazing achievement he accomplished here. Well I've got a few answers to that but it was what he said next that just make me sigh and throw my arms in the air.

This was his logic comparing Leicester to Celtic and Brendan's double Trebles. I din't think he mentioned being Invincible.

He said the Treble in Scotland is easy as there's only 1 or 2 teams (I'm paraphrasing here) and when on to clarify his statement by saying if Rodgers won the FA Cup with Leicester that would be a much bigger achievement than winning a Treble with Celtic.

I was a bit fuming but also having to remember pundits do talk * the same way I do when I'm on here but I think pundits who have played the game should know better? When I make a comment I'm mostly guessing from what I've seen on tv but he should know the intricacises.

I'll try to be brief.

Most glaryingly ovbious was Southamption feeling like they got 4 Kings on a puggy machine when they were the only team in the EPL who were willing to bid peanuts on our world class players or at least to close that. Wanyama, one of the most ovbious quality players we'll see in Scotland, it took two touches of the ball for me to say that guy is special, the whole body language can say a lot.

Southampon agreed and of course they sold him for a good profit once the teams in the EPL noticed him.

Why can't they notice players up here like Southampton?

Fraser Forster 'one of the best keepers I've played against' according to Messi. Who signs him? Southampton.

Ok he's not been doing well recently but he was capable of great keeping, definitely better than the £2m we paid Newcastle.

Stewart Armstong for £7m is not bad, never one of my favourite players but I think if he was transferred withing the EPL he would've cost a few quid more.

The classic of course is Virgil, if ever a guy looked World Class even to the most casual football player it is Virgil Van Dijk. I'm pretty sure every Celtic fan knew he was something special, so many range of skills in his arsenal, that pass he made to Salah, defenders aren't meant to make passes like that. But he was doing it here all the time, the effortlessness of his play was like he was above the pitch looking down, magestic. It was such a brilliant piece of loyalty when he decided to stay an extra season for us when he could have pushed a leave, just like I told everyone Brendan was too much of a Tim to leave without a years notice, well how wrong that was but Virgil did it. I think it said a lot about his character and probably his vision, he know he was good enough and did develop his game at Celtic and felt big pressure etc etc.

Ok I don't want to ramble on but just a few one liners regarding why it * me off thst folk down south think we play with two jerseys for goal posts.

Andy Roberston - Neville was humble enough to say he thought he was doubtful but after the first season he changed his mind saying he was a surprise and one of the best left backs in the game.

Alex Ferguson - He lost a few leagues I'm sure before he set off on his legendary run and is now widely regarded as the best manager in England.

Of course there is competition there, Matt Busby is hailed as someone special, Bill Shankly also.

Kenny Dalglish might not even make our top ten, sorry I know that's up for debate but one thing not up fro debate is he's regarded by Liverpool as their best ever player.

Hanson and Sounnes and those Leeds players (Bremner) we faced at Hampden who said 'Jinky's display is the best peice of football they've ever seen.'

David Moyes kept up an Everton team always sticking to a strict budget. He developed Roony but of course couldn't hold on to him.

Everton again, isn't Duncan Ferguson one of their all time greats?

George Graham for Arsenal is probably best forgot but he knew how to win games playing defensive football.

Last but not least, Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup with 11 local lads. That was another paradigm shift in football and without a doubt Jock Stein was a genius, I mean when we think about how much money was being spent in Southern Europe and all the South American players they had access too plus the infamous Catennattion. It's totally jaw dropping what that man did and for sure is totally unique and always will be.

Maybe there's more but I hope you can read between the lines in my rant why it * me off so much because honestly, we could tear a new hole in any EPL fanboy if we compared them to the Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie a.

The thing that really make me laugh though is the FA Cup, isn't that the Rookie cup? How many * teams have won that in the last decade? I'm sure Wigan won it? And now Watford are in the Final? I mean what is wrong with Savage when he sees how many underdogs win that cup that he can then compare it to Celtic winning a Treble over a season, not just a * wee cup run.

Rant over.

2. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have you ever considered writing a novel?

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    If I say "naw" does that make it a double negative in which case I am saying "aye" ? If so then " aye" as I mean "naw".

4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Would you ever consider reading it if I did :39: Even if the Foreword was by StPauli16 because you know we need to mention the our culture and why 1916 so important and why it's quite possible this was the only way we could prove ourselves and show what we're made of by being the first 'British' club to win the EC. That must've got right up the noses of folk who disregarded the Irish as savages.

There is a lot of politics and dislike stirring underneath the successful team we became from the hierarchy that Savage ( a * Welshman ffs) and others disregard us as.

ILTC would write a great novel, he knows the facts and also the effect the had on our journey since 1888. With loads of input from other members of course like StPauli1916 a sleeper in Yorkshire, McGuire a sleeper in London, Daleer sleeps for no one, and Paul1888 if the book is to get banned which will send it right up the bestseller list.

Raoul Duke likes this.
  5. Keano88

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    "I'll try to be brief"

:rofl:

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is a great shout, cidermaster has a unique sense of humour while still keeping it on topic, he makes Kevin Bridges look too serious as cider doesn't write down notes, it's all natural and in the moment.

Plus if someone asked Cider for a £1 or else, that would be their famous last words because that's him on the way to the offy for one last can for the night and no matter the size of the *, he's going to be sucking his sum and no the end of a can.

cidermaster likes this.
  8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Nobody ever gets respect from england for anything.

England is great at everything and everyone else is *, is their attitude.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This

10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I can't believe you read that far :RedFinger

I just noticed, I wrote more after I said that than before :67:

11. TimFloyd Gold Member

Bomb ra lot o thum

12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair the Scottish talked their own football down for years.
    The pundits couldn’t get behind it & sell it as they should have been doing.

Even now, a lot of the time pundits & fans look for fault in every goal, some should be appreciated for what they are, excellent finishing/ build up/ teamwork. They are in the other “top leagues”.

I do think some of the current crop of pundits are trying to focus on the positive side of the game now, which can only be a good thing.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  13. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    why would I give a monkeys what they think ?

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No, and I don't really care if we don't get respect.

They don't respect any league that isn't in their structure. Let them live in their bubble.

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

I stopped at Robbie Savage

Lilac Wine, Taz, Gully Sands and 2 others like this.
  16. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    No one gets respect from little England

17. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I did try.

StPauli1916, Seán Mac D and TimFloyd like this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's good to see that you haven't gone away...

The IRA likes this.
  19. StevieBhoooy!

They can’t distinguish between product and money....

That (and gobshites like Savage ) will never change while they are so over financed through obscene tv deals and foreign money laundering corporations.

English (premier league) football has very little about it that is actually English.
    Top clubs are fielding 11 foreigners in some games and you’ve got 4 clubs with English managers...

Dull dull football with nothing to play for in 70% of matches or more.

Even the supporters are fkn tourists.

They need to look at their own game as it’s consuming itself. But they'd rather slag off our game.

It’s sickening that the team that finishes 20th In a few weeks time will get close to 100 million £ for being an utter failure... while Celtic get not even a couple of % of that!

Just being in the EPL is a massive prize -so why play for anything except just avoiding relegation? It’s just wrong!

Any Scottish football fan who pays for sky or BT sport isn’t buying access to Scottish games.. you’re funding the EPL...

...And by consequence you are funding gobshites like Robbie Savage and every other pundit who rubbishes Celtics achievement and Scottish football as a whole.

20. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Just for the record, Duncan Ferguson is not considered an all-time great at Everton.

He is a much beloved, cult figure and terrace icon; but nobody considers him a great player.

Spring Time likes this.