1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We should be buying quality players

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JIMMYD1967, Feb 28, 2020.

Discuss We should be buying quality players in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JIMMYD1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    All these players at two million and three million who can't get into the team, buy one good player for ten million or two good players at ten million.

It can be done KT went for twenty five million, buy two players for twenty and bank five.. Only way to make sure of ten in a row and progress in Europe.

We are a massive club not a poor club.

JamesM09 and Morcombe like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Spending money doesn’t guarantee you a good player nor success.

we will not change from the business model and that’s that!

3. JIMMYD1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We can still make money on players and buy quality players.. Not make money and buy players who sit on the bench

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Business model won’t change jimmy. I agree with your sentiments but it won’t change

Lennon1888 and JIMMYD1967 like this.
  5. JIMMYD1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agreed mate

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    2 players who cost £10m will likely have salaries of 50k a week plus. If they can command that fee they will demand the wage.
    During the summer we had to rebuild the defence. All our full backs bar Ralston and a make shift fb Hayes were gone. We needed another cb. We got 5 new defenders in plus a loan. Also all 6 have started regularly. You have oconnell on top of that, who will be another wage.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I can fully understand the business model but it's really frustrating when we sign players who are prospects or are not up to speed etc etc, we need players who can help out straight away, not take months to get bedded in, that's if they ever see any first team action.

Yet again we will probably go into the CL qualifying unprepared, sound familiar ?

8. Nasser

There is so much EPL and others will pay for our players, as they know they can get them dirt cheap in Scotland compared to else where so it's a big risk paying more for players. Also EPL teams buying a dud for 10 or 15 mill is nothing to them but us making that mistake could be very dangerous, and it's very easily done. You look at EPL teams and some of * players they buy.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  9. JIMMYD1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There are a few players in Scotland that could add to our squad, or lesser European teams, look at that lad last night from Copenhagen, three million and very dangerous.

Let's not forget we are a absolutely massive club and Scotland is a great place to live, we can attract players.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Doesn’t matter who we sign as long as we keep playing the same players, bottling big games in Europe and letting the Huns bully us.

11. Paradise88

why did we spend £3.5m on a fourth striker instead of a center half?

AwesomeCaz, Pablo87, oh bhoy and 3 others like this.
  12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Very good question

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I can understand the model if it actually worked but it doesnt . How many players have we signed since say 2017/18 30? Yet the team against Copenhagen had 3 players bought recently Jullien Taylor Eddie ( 2017 on loan ) . All the other players bought before 2017 ( Forster Ely not our players ) .
    Even the players who are usually on the bench or playing Christie 2015 Ntcham Hayes 2017 Biton 2013 says to me the model needs changeing

JIMMYD1967 likes this.
  14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I really want the fans to force the club to explain how are transfer targets decided on. How much the manager is involved in the process of selecting the target. Because spending tidbits here and there doesn't visibly improve the team.

JIMMYD1967 likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s no sense in attaching arbitrary values to a player and saying ‘we need to spend this amount’ imo. You get plenty of * players costing £10m too.

Rather than spend more money, I would argue that we need to continue to improve our scouting system, better prioritise the positions that need strengthened and be more decisive when we do make a move.

When someone says £10m per player, I have to ask why? Where did the £10m figure come from? Why not £6m/£7m or £11m? Yes, Scotland is a nice place and all that but if you’re a £10m footballer then it’s fair to say you’ll have your pick of nice places, plenty with better weather, better food, better football and a culture that more closely aligns itself with your own.

It always feels like we have to do some sort of rebuilding job in summer and that’s the biggest obstacle to us getting into the CL. The idea of us getting past a side as good and experienced as Cluj last summer, with a team that we had basically assembled in the space of a month, was fantasy stuff imo. Simply not going to happen. The worry for me is, we seem to be having to look at fairly major rebuilds on an all too frequent basis, which in itself suggests a lack of planning and organisation in our scouting. Hopefully that will have changed with Hammond. He did some great work last summer tbf.

JIMMYD1967 likes this.
  16. wulliebad

Because for most of this season eddy has been doing it on his own with no support,griff was not back and bayo well its looking like he is a lost cause.
    If eddy got hurt we would be in the *,i think it was the cup final we played with MJ up front as a striker......how fun was that...?
    But that aside we should have bought another defender.

JC Anton and Westlondonscot like this.
  17. wulliebad

It is not about the money,people forget our team has more than a few players in it the fans shout about selling for 20+ million and another 2 they want to sign for 10-20 million depending on what their parent clubs want.
    So the money is in the team.
    For some reason teams with less spending power are watching us seeing what they need to do to beat us and making those changes to their game plan and hurting us.
    Our defence is a mess in Europe,we look lost and scared at times and if team push us we panic and make mistakes.
    In the spl a mistake is no deal because we can for most games recover and out score other teams but when it happens in Europe we struggle.
    Why the * did we sell Erik Sviatchenko.

18. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Spending big on a player is no guarantee they will do well but look at Eddie and Jullien , they will both move on for big bucks , so let’s invest wisely in the team to take us to the next level .

19. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    I was asking the same, and then I saw Stephen Welsh. However he's dissapeared again

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  20. ddub11

These players provide competition and in theory that should keep up the standard,the money is spread across different positions on the pitch(providing cover).
    If we go out and spend it all on one player we are short on cover.

With regards to the amount spent well i guess its down to our income,we dont get PL money and have to spend wisely.