1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We have regressed.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Venomspawn82, Dec 17, 2017.

Discuss We have regressed. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Spot on. Especially the bit about "no great soccer plan".

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    * that say “soccer” need shot in the face with an ICBM.

JML67, richardm and ourdaywillcome! like this.
  3. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

4. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The football under oneil was good,outdated nowadays,but not then.

5. Dubliner1

This myth about tactics being outdated is bollox. Football has NOT changed. Still 11 players on the park. Team formations today were around 20 years ago when I was playing professional football. You need the correct players to fit any formation you want to play. Too many managers trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. You play to the strength of the players available to you. An example in our current team with Gordon & Boyata, are NOT comfortable playing the ball out from the back. They just don't have it. You cannot preserver with these tactics.

davidhannah likes this.
  6. davidhannah

deleted

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    packybhoy likes this.
  7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    OK I' gonna say it

and get pelters in he process

Its BR's fault.

No defender signed in the summer was sheer criminality

as is continuing with a goal keeper who isnt even fit for a top team in the SPL never mind the CL

This nonsense about not "wrapping players in tactical cotton wool" was * laughable

Dont get me wrong... love the guy, but his myopic stance on tactics when things clearly arent working and he doesnt have the players to fulfil is vision has been a problem all season

If he has any sense ( and I believe he has alot if it) we should be recruiting heavily a far as our defence goes

Gordon should be chased out of Lennoxtown and Boyata and Jozo should be back p defenders at best come January

8. Bunk Moreland

I wouldn't say it's 100% his fault but he does have to take some of the blame, the 69 game unbeaten run should not get him a free pass from criticism when it's due. It's not a kneejerk reaction after 1 loss, it's a lot of things which have been pointed out since the start of the season, long before the Hearts game.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  9. jkel

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown,artur boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    holy goalie
    Some people need to get real. We’ve had some great moments in the past 18 months and many more to look forward to. Days like yesterday happen sometimes, it’s part of life. The players need the upcoming break, the amount of games we have played is taking it’s toll. The pressing game we play requires maximum fitness throughout the team, we will be back better than ever after the break. We still have enough in the tank to take maximum points before then, especially at Celtic Park where the pitch won’t be watered ridiculously like yesterday causing our players to slip all over the place. Hearts deserved to win but the pitch helped and too many of our guys had an off day. Brendan will strengthen in January and these great days will continue. I remember getting beat 5-1 by the Huns when MON was manager, next month we signed Neil Lennon, that never happened again.

Fully87 likes this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Totally agree that there is an overreaction

But the lack of foresight is worrying ImO.

We certainly havent regressed but we dont seem to be moving forward either

If January doesnt prove to be a defensive overall then backwards is the only route

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I honestly get where people are coming from when they talk about a dip in performance levels. We have had key injuries to Dembele, Paddy and Rogic those three were a lot to do with everything good about us..

Judge BR and the side after the season and see if we have truly regressed, still in Europe after Christmas, that's progression.

Let's see where it takes us..

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

12. joemc

Absolutely great point you make ,I remember the difference he made to the team ,great positional sense and aweareness ,we are Still missing to this day ,although broony is as good as you can get .

13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Feel like pure *, just want Eoghan O'Connell back X

Doogs. likes this.
  14. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

1 bad result and its all panic stations. Have we regressed ?..No, quite simply. People are finding it too easy to compare last season to this season ( so far) , Last season with the total points amassed and the point difference is a one off. Just like the result against Hearts yesterday, a one off. 69 unbeaten games, YES 69!!! That in itself has taken its toll on the players mentally and physically. It had to end some time. Some players have not hit the form they were in last season, maybe some players just cant cope with the pressure of constantly having to protect the unbeaten run. The last few games we have looked jaded, not pressing, the ball moving slower and taking too many touches and a lot of poor decisions particularly from the back. Even Mr consistent KT has struggled, he has made some poor decisions and trying to make passes that were simply not there. I feel all this regression stuff is all media hype, we are quick to dismiss the pish reported about Sevco so why not us ? What the media fail to say is that we have come off a run of 69 unbeaten games, only Scottish club to qualify for European (CL) group stage qualification, only Scottish club to be in Europe (Europa cup) after New year, retained the League Cup, still top of the league and all this when he haven't hit form. Regressed, never !! If you look at the overall picture how this season has went, look at other teams apart from Sevco. Hibs, Aberdeen, Ross County, Thistle and to some extent Murderwell have all been trying to play from the back, something that Brendan has brought to the league. Hearts yesterday got their tactics spot on, high pressing putting a shift in against our tiring players. Lets not be Hun like and give some credit when its due. we haven't regressed just maybe the other teams in the league are progressing.

Fully87, bhoy81 and ChrisMoh like this.
  15. HNTB67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What a load of *. Up there with the people saying we had to lose our run to get better. Pish.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

16. HailHoopy

Somebody in work just told me that we're a point worse off at this stage of the season than what we were at this stage of Deilas last season.

Is the * foamin?

17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

That was even before y'day. Was being thrown about on twitter last week.

Season Comparison at this stage (16 games played):
    Ronny Deila second season: 39 points & 43 goals.
    Brendan Rodgers second season: 38 Points & 38 goals.

HailHoopy and aliceinsound like this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

If regressing means winning the first silverware of the season, being top of the league and in Europe after the new year then sign me up for regression classes.

The only thing we are is a victim of our own success last year.

We need fresh faces in January, too many players off form/tired/living off past form.

The way Brendan wants the game to be played is tiring our players out and they need help.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

Remember under MON we finished with 9 points in the group and never went through.

Under Lennon and WGS we went through that was progression was it not we made the last 16.

And I'm sure we score the same amount of goals as last season, plus we had PSG in our group, massive difference.

We are going to be poor in the champions league because we don' have the money to compete.

Unless we get a luck draw we are going to be lucky to finish 3rd each season.

Facts are we have European football after Christmas, yes we got beat but we can' go unbeaten forever.

Yes we need investment and if we don' act this window and for some reason we don' win the league or if we do win the league we don' qualify for the group's then that' going backwards.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I love Rodgers but I've never heard so much * in all my life. Plus it's football not soccer.

MON knew how to defend and was one of our best managers in modern times.

Rodgers has been fantastic and is a good manager but he has no real threat domestically and he will be judged more in Europe.

Lennon and WGS have done better than Rodgers.

ChrisMoh likes this.