1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UCL Last 16: Celtic v Juventus Chat

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Overkill187, Dec 20, 2012.

Discuss UCL Last 16: Celtic v Juventus Chat in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jinky1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Anything by the Wolfetones
    Good to hear we played well. Hopefully the mistakes are just down to inexperience of playing at such a high level and we will be better next year.

2. Tim{e}4ten

Fav Celtic Player:
    ever--john collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    I dont think Hoops would be a huge loss to be honest,he's done well for us and totally repaid our outlay on him..For me he's peaked here and its time to cash in..Can we find someone as prolific? time will tell,but I have every faith in the scouting system to find a worthy replacement..

3. HoopSprings

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hey mate, as far as I'm concerned, you're very welcome here.

We all had a go at the Juve players after the first leg, but the simple fact is, the ref could have stopped the tug-of-war in the box any time he wanted. He didn't, and that's the reason players continue to do it.

It's like the diving thing. Until EUFA come out and start hammering people for it, it will continue to happen. As it stands, you risk a booking, nothing more.

Anyway, some tougher challenges ahead for you, but I think there's a lot up in the air at the moment. Barca on the brink, Real not wholly convincing, the German sides look very strong. I've always had a soft spot for Milan, do you think they can go all the way?

4. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Lads what can I say they were impossible to break down tonight, so tactically good and the best keeper in world to back them up when they were in trouble there was no way of breaking them down.

Celtic have proved every doubter on the planet who would write us off in a second this season, this journey that started back in August has been some journey that I will never forget as long as I breath, I am so * proud of everyone involved with the club (any * ups are * ups deal with it man).

HAIL * HAIL MON THE HOOPS

I Love being a Celtic Supporter!

5. Woody

Really proud of the everyone at celtic from the board, Lenny, backroom staff, players and most important, the fans. To get this far was some achievement and has been fantastic season for everyone concerned!!

Really optimistic about the coming years!!

Dont worry about Hooper worry about keeping our manager!!

6. Tim{e}4ten

Fav Celtic Player:
    ever--john collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    Im very proud too mate as we exceeded everyones expectations,even ours HAIL HAIL..

7. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    We were given a harsh lesson over the 2 legs, any mistake was seized upon and clinically finished by Juventus. That is my only downside from this campaign, we gave Juventus 3 goals on a plate over 2 games and we didn`t really make them work hard for it. We have seen what it takes to reach the next level and that should be the aim for the players and the club.

I said to a few folk prior to the 1st Leg that Juventus would be harder than Barcelona; before I get slated let me explain my viewpoint. With Barcelona you know the game-plan, constant attacking. Juventus on the other hand,can as they showed over the 2 games allow you to come forward and take you apart on the counter or play attack minded football. While they maybe didn`t show the latter style often over the 2 games; they done what was required.

I don`t think Juventus will win the competition but they have real quality throughout which we seen in glimpses. Buffon`s save from Hooper`s deflection was superb and Pirlo`s pass to Vidal was inch perfect. These are just 2 examples of the quality which we require, if we`re to repeat or better results in Europe season after season.

Don`t want to end on a negative, so after the gutting feeling of tonight/tomorrow disappears. We have plenty to be proud from this campaign; my expectations have been well surpassed by this side and we should be looking forward to next seasons journey.

8. MacEoghainn

Just got home from a long day at work ... didn't wanna check the phone for results.

Oh well.

GREAT, GREAT run, Bhoys. Immensely proud of everyone.

Also, just caught Sammy's interview. You can tell he was choking up at the very end. Legend.

Can't wait 'til next year!

The 2013-14 Champions League qualifiers will come up quick enough. Can't wait!

9. Cmcgregor90

I really can't say I'm happy about the whole campaign BUT... Only because I'm really hacked off honestly nothing to do with us but them i just can't come to terms with being beaten 5-0 I agg! It does us no justice at all seriously even though we know over two legs we played some nice attacking football... Who says we are a negative team we absoloutley destroyed them on the park over two legs but not at finishing! And finishing is what counts at the end of the day.... I am happy about our achievement but just can't shake the mood I'm in when I think or the agg score and how Different it could have been of the ref want a * in the first leg!

Even at that if the first leg were closer maybe we would have seen the Juve everyone was raving about tonight! they are a good side but definetley over these two legs I failed to see it! Maybe they will up there game again in next round but to me this Juve side have no chance...

10. Heb Celt

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuiQtxEZ40"]4 Leaf Clover Celtic fc.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

11. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Just a wee general point. PSG qualified for the quarter-finals tonight for the 1st time in 18 years. It`s taken an Arab Billionaire to spend multi-millions to buy the best from other teams to get them there.

12. Smileyy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Man City have failed to get past the group stages the past 2 years, even Arab billionaires cant help you get there.

13. Celtic abu

I`m just giving the game a wee watch again here. Couldn`t hear it in the pub earlier but our fans were just unreal. Never let up that entire 2nd half. Done us proud again bhoys and ghirls :celt_2:

14. Shane1888

Pish that we need to negotiate three separate qualifiers next season.

Ah well, we are Celtic and we will carry on, as we have done for the last 125 years.

Great journey this season, but I guess all good things must come to an end at some point :shamrock:

15. Artur Boruc #1

Every man and their dog knew a couple of key players were for the off, it's no secret.

All the best to anyone who leaves, we'll move on and they'll do very well to match the experience you get at Celtic.

16. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Get about 20'000 of us to desend upon Linfield thatd be some craic:50:

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I thought we done well again but just got done again by the goals, a harsh lesson. Kayal and Ledley were great.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I wanted to stay away from this thread until tomorrow, but I couldn't. Not at all happy tonight, though not quite as miserable as after the first leg (2-0 tonight was harsh; but the 3-0 in the first leg was ridiculous). On the whole I can't argue that Juve don't deserve to go through; but the embarrassing aggregate scoreline will always seem extremely undeserved to me. :54:

Thought Wilson was our MOM, closely followed by Kayal and Ledley. All 3 were brilliant. Most of the rest of our team played OK, but nowhere near as great as in the first leg.
    Ambrose I really rate at CB but when Matthews got stretchered off, * does he look awful at RB! :smiley-laughing002: Not his fault, though. The one player I'd like to single out as just not good enough at this level (and it pains me to say this because he's been great for us domestically) is Mulgrew.

Someone said in another thread that we need a "Lubo" and "someone who can dribble". I agree with the first thought: when playing a defence as well-drilled as Juve's that little bit of magic is essential. I think we already have players who can dribble, though. Forrest did a lot better than I expected in that regard when he came on.

If I could have my dream for next season come true (and we don't sell anybody other than Wanyama- unfortunately there's no doubt in my mind he's off :54: ) I'd love to see the following team next year.

-------------------------Forster--------------------

Lustig--------------Wilson--------Ambrose--------Izzy

-----Broony------------Kayal----------------Ledly---

Lubo Mark II<--------------><---------------------->Sammy

-----------------------Hooper-----------------------

(Forrest to come on as sub for Sammy to run at tired legs)

Another possible way to progress as a team would be to play Ledley in the centre of midfield and sign someone like Naka for the left.

--------------------Forster----------------------

Lustig---------------Wilson------Ambrose------------Izzy

-------Broony-----Kayal-----Ledley-----Naka Mark II

<------------------------------------------------------------->Sammy

------------------------Hooper--------------------------

(Commons for Ledley if we're chasing the game, Forrest on for Sammy last 20 minutes to run at tired legs.

I'd be happy with either of those possibilities to be honest. The beauty of either option is that both Lubo and Naka were at least as good (better IMO) as Mulgrew with a dead ball, which would allow us to drop him on CL nights. Of course finding a Naka or a Lubo at an affordable price will be very difficult. Perhaps something to invest 10 of the 15 million we're going to get for Wanyama into?

@ Buendia: you asked why Mugrew got in the midfield ahead of Kayal at CP when Kayal is clearly a much better player than he is. It's because we score an unusually high fraction of our European goals from corners and free kicks and Mulgrew is vital for that because his delivery is usually superb (not that you got to see it). Many times this season people (myself included) have picked the teams they wanted to see before big CL matches and then realised, "*, I need to put Mulgrew in for his set-pieces".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  19. Onefootwonder

The end of a journey and it was a * good journey.

No one in their life will ever forget the night we beat Barcelona.

Juventus were the better team but we didn't deserve what we got over the two legs.

I think we know we won't manage to keep a few players at the end of the season but I feel whatever money we make, we should spend a good bit of it bringing in real quality.

Yes we've done great finding quite a few unknown young lads who have added a lot to the team.

I'd just like to see more of the same plus one or two that are going to bring that extra something and have a proved track record.

We need to keep this cycle going and make sure we get into the champions league for years to come.

3 qualifiers next season sounds scary. The fear is by the third we are already meeting quality opposition.

It really is time to go sleep this off.

20. Markybhoy

The inevitable happened.

We've punched above our weight and done ourselves proud by getting as far as we did though. Every Celt can look themselves in the mirror and know that they did well in Europe this season.

That's all you can ask guys.