1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] UCL 2nd Rnd Qual, Celtic v Rosenborg, Wed July 25th, KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Jul 18, 2018.

Discuss UCL 2nd Rnd Qual, Celtic v Rosenborg, Wed July 25th, KO 19:45 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Erm. I don’t think anybody is under any illusions about our defence. :43: Everybody knows we need to bolster the defence.
    As for being ‘too green’,age is nothing to do with it. If they’re good enough, they’re old enough.

2. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Well it's become a wee bit of a tradition to go through these qualifiers with a patched up defensive backline so maybe they want to maintain that?

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

We were missing Lustig, Boyata and Simunovic. I don't think it's a big a concern as some have been making out. We're looking quite strong at the back when everybody is available.

Forgive me for my optimism. I really feel like the current team Brendan has put together is easily the most exciting squad we've had in the past 10 years and I can't wait to see what we can do in Europe. Yeah one or two additions would still be nice. End of the day, our back up right back was at the World Cup and our third choice centre half is a talented Jozo Simunovic. I'm not panicking.

We were unlucky to be missing so many players vs Rosenborg but we pulled the first leg out of the bag at least.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Looked like it for me aswell, the * cut right across the back of Ntcham clearing him out.

5. apevrak

He did, but to be fair Forrest is magic and a very difficult player to mark.

6. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    After an indifferent start we were excellent, 5-1 wouldn't have flattered us. Ntcham an Eddy both superb. Keep Jamsie on the wing, he's not a no.10. This is the most promising i've seen the team early-season for many a year(contrast last night with the game against Rosenborg last year when we hardly created anything) fingers crossed it's a sign of things to come.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye wee Forrest has started the season on fire, but I thought Meling when going forward carried a threat and took his goal well.

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

In fairness to Rodgers he saw like the rest of us the 352/442 system wasn't working and changed it, that's when we kicked into life freeing KT down the left and Forrest down the right creating more space for Ntcham and McGregor.

2nd half we totally upped the tempo and blew them away, surprisingly at the end they looked the tired team not us even though we are still pre-season, that is impressive from us.

Ref was an absolute * 1st half but then he didn't matter in the 2nd half with the way we played. Big Eddy is a big game winner, so * good.

StPauli1916 and neilly1987 like this.
  9. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    What did you make of the gulf overall mate? I know you were expecting it to be tight and for us no to cut them open at will..

With how many player's we had out. Them being halfway through their season...we really did hammer them..

Is the general consensus they were lucky to get out of here without conceding a few more?

Hit the woodwork 3 time's. Blatant penalty. Sinclair couple of good chances. Tierney with possibly the best chances back to back. Hendry..

We seemed to be a couple of levels above them..

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  11. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not panicking either but surely we should definitely be spending to improve the defence regardless if we think its comfortable or not. Last night just shows what happens when you spend money, two of our most expensive signings in years and they dig us out a hole.

Mr Shelby and joemc like this.
  12. joemc

For those of us who still believe money does not success , it definitely helps ehh .

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  13. apevrak

Was expecting their fitness level to be much higher given them being mid season and all, so a very pleasant surprise there. We had them running after us the whole game from the 20 min mark on out. Saw the same against Alashkert also, except we controlled both legs from the get go. Looks like we have laid down an effective fitness regime in preseason which we're reaping the fruits of now.

Consensus here in Norway is the same as in here, people think they where lucky not to concede more and most people tend to agree to the sacking of Ingebrigtsen would have made no difference what so ever and probably was the right decision after all. Their midfield looked like school boys against Broon and Ntcham and French Eddy was a couple of handfuls to many for their defence to handle. Most disappointing for the Rosenborg supporters I think is their attack, it was essentially non existent throughout the game as I predicted.

They will attack us from the start in Trondheim which will open up their defence even more than yesterday. Hopefully we'll grab an early goal or two and put the game to bed before they knew what hit them.

14. JamesM09

They can’t cope with our attack at all. We should play attacking football from the start over there and get that away goal as a priority.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The defenders you mention there have all had their opportunity in Europe though over the years and I think it's evident that we need to freshen things up back there.

They aren't bad players but can definitely be improved upon and it is something we should be striving to do.

I used to think Simunovic could go on to be a top player for us but now I'm unsure. Too injury prone and has that mad streak in him. Lustig will need to be edged out the side and the fact we are targeting a right back suggests Rodgers believes that too.

As for Boyata his future is up in the air and we don't really know which player is going to turn up.

In short I feel that even 2 additions back there in the form of an Ntcham or Edouard level player would really take us towards doing something special. Middle to front we don't have many problems..currently.

As Duke said above, last nigjt proved what a decent bit of money can get you. Can literally save your * in these tight qualifiers.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thats what I thought as well, the last like hour of the game I thought it one of the classiest and most comfortable displays we've put on against a "decent"(not a Linfield or Red Imps or * team essentially) European team in a long time.

All our players were purring and in full confidence that they were much better than what they were up against and everyone was just flooding forward playing 1-2s making runs into space and skinning whoever they wanted.

Even at 2-1 with 20 minutes to go I was just sitting thinking it didn't matter we will most likely go away and beat them again as the way our players were playing at that point it's like everyone on the team were thinking "this mob are *" and that it was too easy.

LloydsGamble, Rydo1888* and JamesM09 like this.
  17. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Anybody got the Rosenborg goal?

18. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    If you take away the odd lapse at the back, even strengthening there no guarantee there will be no more mistakes and taking time to bed in a new RB or CB too.

But were actually a very good team overall , knock the ball about well controlling games and deadly going forward at pace we can hurt most teams, goals all over the team.

19. TheHappyLoss

Think the most pleasing thing so far is we've been really good to watch so far this season. Looking more like the team from Brendan's first season and that's with quite a few players still missing

20. PEI#1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Thanks for the full game Notorious.....I thought we did ourselves proud there.

The team played pretty great and some of the individual performances were top drawer.

Thought Gamboa played very well for being out of the team for so long....looks determined to catch the gaffer's eye.

The goals were pure quality and we deserved to win by a bigger margin.

Our midfielders ran tirelessly throughout.....all in all we looked like a decent team out there.

Special praise for Eddy.....looking the total package: Hail, Hail.