1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TV Licence

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jeannie960, Sep 25, 2019.

Discuss TV Licence in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Got a letter in today saying i need to update my 'no license needed' as it runs out in October.

Now I'm not paying it no matter what but the big surprise I got was when I went to update it. Apparently you "need" a license now for the likes of YouTube, ITV Hub, All 4, Amazon Prime etc.

They are really taking the * now.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So you need a TV license to watch content that isn’t from the BBC? How’s that even allowed ffs? I pay Sky for a subscription yet I still need to pay a licence fee to watch stuff on the subscription I’m paying for, It’s a * scam you are being double dipped imo.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The bbc are a joke, they cater for a select audience and don't give a * about the rest, paying z listers way too much money, they offer * all in the way of live football, the movies they show are 20 year old and they have a clear tory bias.

An antiquated organisation that has failed to move with the times, they can work the tv license up their *. :67:

4. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I refuse to give them my money

Sean Daleer, Gyp Rosetti and cas79 like this.
  5. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I'm the same all were doing is funding English content, i wont pay for sky either, that should be the same for all scots imo

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Jeannie960 likes this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah I'm not buying it one way or the other. I was just surprised that the likes of YouTube and Amazon Prime now need a license. Its getting beyond a joke. Don't get me wrong though I'm not paying for it no matter what. I would just rather do it officially, my credit rating is bad enough as it is.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
    • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
    • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
    This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Well mines runs out end of September so I await them coming to my door, I’ll * with their heads just like I usually do with politicians around election time. :84:

The Prof and Sean Daleer like this.
  9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm filling the form in anyway. I genuinely only watch Netflix. I don't even have my TV hooked up to cooncil telly or have a free view box.

If they still say I need a license then they can stick it right up their tradesman's entrance.

Gyp Rosetti and The Prof like this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I honestly don’t get why I need a TV license to watch subscription based channels, I mostly watch sports mate which are already behind a paywall, it’s totally baffling. My other gripe is the BBC selling shows worldwide and classic shows on the likes of Dave, they are being funded for content which they later sell on.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  12. StevieBhoooy!

Ive done a lot of research on this and had the odd doorstep confrontation With the capita fascists they entrust (on a commission basis) to try and get payment out of you...

The bbc were trying to lobby government to make a license necessary for anyone with broadband - on grounds that they can watch live tv - not because they definitely ARE - but so far failed. That shows how their tactics roll.

What they’ve done in reversing the free license for over 75s is downright repellent and a national disgrace.

You ONLY needs license if you watch live broadcast tv, use the iPlayer (bbc one) or record live tv to watch later. Yes, bbc get funded by you watching other channels even if you never watch the BBC’s *. Channel 4 get a tiny % due to their setup charter but minimal.

You do NOT need a license if you watch you tube, Netflix, Prime, or any non-bbc tv hub... unless live..

If they’ve told you this they are presenting false information.

My thoughts are that they are going to be on their knees for funding as More and more are refusing to pay whether legitimately not obliged to pay or just refusing. They’ve had 6 months without their gestapo being able to knock on doors... probably going into full blitzkreig mode for next few months.

Go on the tv licensing website and declare yourself not eligible to pay. 2 mins.. they will say that they might come to check but ddeal with that if they do . I basically don’t ever answer the door to anyone I don’t know is coming or recognise as it’s alway just some cowboy wanting to fix drive/cut trees/etc or the Mormons ...

I fully expect the bbc to be begging the government for cash soon and for the tactics to get more underhand.

TV has moved on while all the bbc have done is stuck with the same funding model while paying numpties bigger and bigger fortunes, losing ALL live sport of any value and making garbage for a garbage consuming audience... while expecting (and demanding) everyone to pay for it whether they want it or not.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The outgoing chairman Tony Hall has put forward proposals that we pay a house tax like the Germans do, why are they so * scared of standing on their own feet like any other broadcaster? And save me the * that they are an institution and national treasure, they are biased * that need defunded!

Sean Daleer likes this.
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah the over 75s u-turn is abhorrent.

The worst thing about that is most pensioners won't have access to the online form and will probably get spooked by the official looking letters and pay it. Its underhanded and literally preying on a group of people they know will probably pay no questions asked.

Scumbags.

Britwell bhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You just have to look at their coverage of the last general election, same with Sky, IRA commander and member of the SS Jezza Corbyn never stood a chance. :67:

Sean Daleer and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Genuinely don’t think I’ve paid it once in my life. I don’t plan on starting anytime soon. :39:

I’ll take my chances and simply tell anyone who comes to my door that they’re not getting in.

Dalbeth3 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The youtube etc part is only if you're watching something live.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Just noticed that after you said.

How could they possibly enforce that or even find out you watched something live on YT? Thought data protection would cover you in that case?

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’ve literally chased the jobsworth * down the street before.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You are well within your rights to tell them to * off mate. I just worry it would affect my credit rating so would rather go through official channels to not have a license.

Push comes to shove though, and there might be actual pushing and shoving if they turn up at my door :giggle1:

Gyp Rosetti and King of Kings like this.