1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer window summer 22

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jake10, Jun 1, 2022.

Discuss Transfer window summer 22 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Im actually finding this window entirely underwhelming.

Jota and CCV were must's and that is just to ensure we stand still. There's arguably only 1 player thats been signed to improve the starting xi in Bernabei. If we were looking to improve the squad (which badly needed it) then surely it makes more sense to buy players that are better than who they are being brought in to replace - thus improving the strength in depth as the previous starter is now the rotation player. I've never really got the want to buy players who are the back up.

Mooy has been brought into take care of injuries or occasional rotation. Benji will sit on the bench for the most part with possible cup games thrown in etc etc

Though Jenz might actually get a genuine chance right off the bat due to Starfelts injury...

But, aye....weird window that doesnt feel like we're much further forward going into a CL campaign - I also worry about the inevitable pot A team skelping too...

The Phoenix, john2061 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  2. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Find it weird how anyone can be critical about this window. Signing Jota & CCV is huge and will improve the squad for years. We've got a settled team for the start of the season (when have we ever said that before) and we've not sold anyone, fingers crossed.

Last year we had a young squad who had no pre-season and had never played together, with a year under their belts they'll be massively improved. And we've got rotation options incase of injury.

Yeah we'd have loved a huge defensive mid, but I don't think it's going to make a huge impact on our season. And there's still five weeks left of the window to make more signings if we need, like a forward on loan.

3. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    upload_2022-7-20_11-19-34.jpeg

The Celtic Star reporting this story was pulled by record after being up a few minutes, didn’t comply with “rangers magic, Celtic tragic”. The amount of lying reports of huns beating us to signings AND this is an actual time someone didn’t reply to SEVEN PHONE MESSAGES from van bronk and their client ACTUALLY signed for us, record can’t die/go online only, quick enough

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    AussieGreek likes this.
  4. GavCFC1

:56::56::56:

It’s a fake article ya maddy

dmccourt95 likes this.
  5. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Is this our dealings done?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I’m pretty happy overall with the window, we’ve kept the strength of last season and added a bit more depth along with experience in Mooy who knows exactly what to expect with Ange.

Expect a few more out and possibly another 1 or 2 in.

greengrocer and GreenLeanMean like this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

Strong enough window.

I suspect the biggest improvement will come from the main players having had a whole year under Ange and getting his system much better. I'm betting the preseason is being planned to the nth degree to get the side mega-primed for the league.

Numerous early skelpings incoming.

8. horseshoe

This is why I find the 'standing still' patter about spending big on Jota and CCV hilarious, sure that's mostly from coping huns but some of our lot have still been saying it, with the squad settled now and into the way Ange wants to play we probably don't drop the early points we did last season, we're much stronger as a unit now than we were a year ago.

I still think we might bring in another one or two, but I'm not in any panic about it, there's always lots of movement towards the end of the window once euro qualifying is further along and teams/players know what level they'll be at.

9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

In signing Jota and CCV has that made us stronger than we were last season in a title winning side?

Or has it kept us on the same level ie standing still?

10. murphy88

No, because these players are getting closer to their peak, so are still improving as players, therefore improving us as a team.

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

None of us knew whether those two would actually sign permanently for us though. They both would've had other (and maybe more lucrative) options after the seasons they had and both have joined for 4-5 years which is a massive coup.

If we hadn't signed O'Riley in January I'd say you have a point about standing still, but we've done such an un-Celtic thing there and got Rogic's replacement in before he left. Mooy takes Bittons place in the squad and bernabei improves the XI.

The fact I'd be happy to go into qualifiers with this squad tells me it's been a good window, even better that we don't have to play them!

greengrocer and horseshoe like this.
  12. horseshoe

Saying them signing is us standing still just sounds to me like putting a massively negative spin on good business. We should be stronger this season with them being settled into the squad from day one, rather than being new signings having to fit in to how we play and getting to know their teammates, and they're both at a good age with room to improve even further.

charlietully likes this.
  13. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Clutching.

Regardless, the fact they have signed has kept us at the same level as last season, minimum. Had they not signed, we'd have been weaker.

I'm not being negative, i'm being factual. In ensuring that those two boys signed meant that as a minimum we're as strong in terms of a starting xi as we were last season. We should be building on that, not bloating the bench with guys like Mooy.

Yes we have a more settled team, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be signing players that are better than what we currently have just because someone may be a fan favourite right now.

14. murphy88

How is it clutching? Do young players not improve? Would you say that a centre half at 24 and a winger at 23 has peaked? It’s just common sense really that they usually improve.

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think we are better, but I can understand why some people have reservations.

The biggest difference from last year is we have an actual LB to challenge and rotate with Taylor, and an actual CB to rotate and challenge Starfelt. We didn't have that last year, Ange clearly didn't trust Welsh, Jullien or Scales to properly rotate.

Mooy is a good replacement for Bitton. I get that a lot of us were wanting a higher standard of player, and I 100% Agree, but on the basis of a Bitton replacement, he's definitely an improvement. If you view Mooy as a Rogic replacement, then I understand thinking he's a downgrade.

That's also not taking into account that players like Hatate, O'Riley, Jota will continue to majorly improve over the season.

So I do think we're a stronger team, losing Rogic was a blow, but stronger over-all. If we sign, at least, another attacker to rotate at ST/RW then we're definitely stronger.

charlietully and Fontaine like this.
  16. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

'How is it clutching?'
    We're talking about their value to the starting xi now. You're talking about a situation down the line which either may or may not happen as they might not be here long enough to hit their peak, or they do and fall short of expectations (in fairness, thats unlikely with Jota).

'Do young players not improve?'
    Not always.

'Would you say that a centre half at 24 and a winger at 23 has peaked?'
    Ofcourse not

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Still a few weeks to go..

But, literally don't see how anyone can be critical of the window so far..

Loads were saying at the start, just get CCV and Jota.. and they would be delighted..

18. Keano88

Would be interesting to go back and check the views at the start of the window.

Feel like a lot of people take those two signings for granted now that they’ve been completed.

19. Keano88

Was thinking the same yesterday but I get the feeling he’s happy to just play his 3-5 games a season at this point of his career.

3 more years of him getting paid to crack jokes.

AdamRS and Skelleto like this.
  20. murphy88

We are further down the line. Every day they are with us we are further down the line.