1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by thailandceltic, Aug 30, 2021.

Discuss Transfer Window poll.. Happy.. Yes or No? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    In all honesty why should * be buzzing? Cause we signed CCV last minute?

The other two have been done deals before yesterday and it’s been dragged out we all know it.

Lewis Kerr, The Phoenix and Smithy like this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

2 of which we know aren't good enough, 1 has promise but is still a young guy not yet ready for a 60+ game season and the other is an unknown quantity who has effectively played semi-professional football all his career

If we've finally replaced Tierney with a £600k outlay then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good starting 11s don't win you titles. Certainly in a team like ours that seems to pick up more injuries than most.

The fact that most people are putting McCarthy in their starting XIs for us, despite the fact he's only made 2 sub appearances so far and not looked near match sharpness tells you how thin we are in CM.

An injury to McGregor and we're certainly struggling.

What's our central 3 at that point?
    • McCarthy, Turnbull, Rogic - lacks mobility and will be swamped in Europe.
    • Soro, McCarthy, Turnbull - Could work but Soro hasn't looked tremendous in his fleeting appearances this season

Loaning out Robertson for the season might be the best for his development long-term but with our lack of numbers it might not have been the best idea for the squad, in the event of injuries, suspensions, Covid.

Definitely but it's contingent on a lot of factors that we've left to chance.

• We need Giakoumakis to prove he isn't just a 1 season wonder; I think he'll do that.
    • We need Jota to replace Christie/Moi's goal & assist output - a tall order.
    • We need Taylor to improve significantly or Scales to hit the ground running with us
    • We need McGregor to stay fit.
    • We need to get lucky in avoiding other injuries, suspensions, Covid isolations and player burnouts from Ange's gung ho style - as per your point above, we have a decent starting XI but our 2nd string isn't anywhere near it

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So a month ago they said no to a loan...what did we do instead then?
    Why didn't we offer them the fee they wanted? Why didn't we chase someone else?
    Did we really wait till the last minute then decide to accept their proposal? Was the plan at 8pm last night really to go in to the rest of the season with no additional cover?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

4. dmccourt95

Peter lawell would’ve been proud of Dom winning that negotiation

Artorias and Peej like this.
  5. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    3 of those left backs will do a job in the league Id say but yeah Europe is a worry.. Shamrock Rovers are full time professional club run as well as most Scottish clubs so it's not a massive jump..

I totally agree and said yep we look very light in midfield if we get injuries.. Midfield is definitely a worry and we look light.. other clubs will get inj, suspensions too, we still should have enough for most teams up here..

Look I agree there are a lot of ifs and buts and thats why I put undecided.. it wasn't a great transfer window and not a disaster but we can still win the league our #1 priority..

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Spin or not no team was more active with ins and outs on sky sports last night than Celtic. Only place I feel let down now is in the middle of the park. We need a Jason knight type player in that three a player who is mobile and technically good to play beside mcgregor and we don't have it. Turnbull will be great at 3 o'clock kicks offs at home to the bottoms 6. Can anyone name another club who brought in 12 players, even take scales urhoghide and Shaw out of it can anyone name another club who brought in 9 first team players?

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

7. Forza 67

Because we've replaced a half-arsed Edouard with a hungry Eredivise top scorer and replaced a powder puff * bag in Christie with a highly rated Benfica player with 18 U21 caps for Portugal and signed one of the best defenders in the Championship.

8. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    "4. We have a good starting 11"

Dunno by that you are implying that the starting 11 is nailed on and outside of that there is a drop off. If anything we have a very variable squad. Hart ok is nailed on but Ralston will compete with juranovic, in a month any of Taylor, monty, scales, boli could be potentially playing left back, centre back who knows who the two will be from the 4 they are very even starfelt will improve, midfield is a bit of a mess with a lot of variables that I think will be impacted by opposition bar McGregor no one is assured their place, front three Forrest will get in ahead of abada at times Sunday clearly showed that, the Greek lad is gonna be a complete unknown as is Jota. Those two and opposition will probably decide where kyogo plays.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Nope I'm implying that whatever 11 we pick from our squad should be enough to beat anything in the league.. if we pick our strongest 11 every week we can win the league..

Our strongest 11 is better than the rest of the league.. simples..

Europe Im not worried about this season.. its a free hit.. the league is our priority

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    This squad is capable of winning the league, nothing else matters IMO.. its down to the players and manager now...sort it out...

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    For me, with the lack of depth in certain areas we shouldn't be taking europe as serious this year.

There's no reason for us to send a full strength team away to Gladbach imo, we lose that either way, even Betis away might not be worth sending a full team for.

Secure at least an ECL spot with 2-3 home wins and a draw away to Ferancvaros and I'd be happy.

bhoy81 likes this.
  12. bhoy81

Top scorer last season, apart from that he has done nothing. So time will tell if he continues his purple patch of scoring goals.

Jota is a left winger Christie isn’t, Jota was not signed to replace Christie at all.

Our manager wanted Christie tied down to a new deal he saw him that important.

He was the player of old under Ange and we have lost a mobile versatile box to box player in the middle of the park and haven’t replaced him at all.

Did CCV win best defender in the championship last season or voted in the championship team if the season?

I’m not saying he isn’t a good defender but to say * should be buzzing is just silly, most * where really unhappy yesterday.

The Phoenix likes this.
  13. bhoy81

I agree with you, Europe should be put in the back burner and we should be playing a second side and focus on the league.

HTG and Artorias like this.
  14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Jota has said he can play anywhere, Lw, rw 10 & 9

15. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    We have improved in many key areas, we were slow as * for many, the right back a prime example, it tool until days before the end to sign one, aye ralston has really come through but tamhatvwas still poor to have left so long, but I thibk we have got a quality addition there.

The know areas to be improved for leavers/ needed it before were slow to address as well, (Ajer, Christie, Eddie, RB, LB) not including GK there as it was a chance for Barkas etc, they needed assessed that delay comes from the boards delays on getting a manager in (won't argue if you do include GK though) CB and RB ill use as prime examples, ajer we knew was leaving, Julian out until mid September (as it was at season start) and then only Welsh and Bitton, we needed to reinforce that regardless for I jury and known leaving and Bitton not being good enough as a regular but we only signed 1 (then scales later) rb we only had ralston who no one had faith in but credit to him, he's looking quality now and needs that contract extended

The usual links with loads of good exciting players that lead to nowhere was a big one, but that happens for every club not just us, there are a lot I'd love us to stay at (Lovric, itakura, plus some that were suggested more than linked like Bjorkan) and plenty we missed that went elsewhere.

The delays in getting the manager meant we missed our chance for so many free agents, something I'd like to see us make better use of, we rarely make many 1st team free signings which is surprising given our board (aye Mccarthy but thats it, this year) ((also aye, we get out of contract youth which come for dev fee but most don't go right in Moussa was the last that really did) and come January I'd like to see us bet some bosmans in as that means we will have ready in players come the start of the window where we will either be on for a good extended pre season due to no qualifiers or right into our most important games of the season that we are normally so I'll prepared for.

The team is overall slightly weaker right now at individual levels but is stronger as a team (team play wise) and far better managed. We need the bacuoa to reallybuo their game and we need to get lucky with injuries etc which is normally our bane as we always seem to get some bad ones.

We've seen what the team can do when firing and if we can maintain that we will do well, we've also seen what can happen with a lapse in that effort from them though in the game against AZ and the huns, it'll be a big few months to January but I think we're in a decent place, but do need some luck

16. bhoy81

His best position is left wing, he has played there through his time in the Benfica youth ranks and Portugal, he has played in other positions a few times but left wing is his position where he plays best and that’s why he was thought of as Portugal’s next big thing, not playing out of position.

Edit - forgot to add, Jota was not signed to replace Christie, to say he was is really silly and naive.

That’s more to the last post I replied to.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not sure how I feel about it.

I think we’re a better team than we were before the window opened, but that’s mainly just down to having a proper manager in Ange.

Would’ve liked to see this business conducted earlier. We’re looking at 3/4 first team players having never had as much as a training session together in September. It takes time to build up proper chemistry on the pitch.

I think we lost 3 good players in Ajer, Christie and Edouard, even if the latter had been disinterested for a while. We’ve signed a good player in Kyogo, and definitely improved our GK in Hart, but the jury is still out on the others.

Overall I would’ve expected better given the scale of the rebuild that was required, and the prize at the end of it all being guaranteed CL revenue .

Rogicisgod and The Phoenix like this.
  18. Forza 67

Jota can play in a number of postions including the 10, he literally said that in his interview, Christie never played as a box-to-box midfielder under Ange, he was either LW or CAM.

19. bhoy81

He says that in his interview but he has played most of his career at left wing.

So Christie never moved into the middle getting back to help out the defence etc?

Christie had to play LW cause we had no * else….. Ange wanted him here.

So if we are going with he is a CAM then who is going to be playing left wing?

20. James Gold Member Gold Member

The squad is weaker than it was on Sunday and we all seen how poor the bench was. We must be the only team in the world who acknowledge we're in a rebuild but still make substantial profit

oh bhoy and The Phoenix like this.