1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The last possible minute? The transfer window literally opened today, calm down.

Hammy89 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  2. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think that is a notion that is lost on far to many mate.

3. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    The English, Spanish & Italian leagues haven't even finished yet. I can't see us doing any business till then. Teams aren't going to be selling/buying while they are still unsure what league they'll be playing in.

4. Foley1888

Two Left wing back suggestions who are both available as bosmans, the first is a player we have been linked with in the past Turkish international Hasan Ali Kaldirim, he is 30 now but a very experienced player who still seems a very capable player, he did have a foot injury at the start of the season which caused him to miss some games but captained Fenerbahce and played all their games when fit.

The other is Nicusor Bancu Romanian international left back playing with CS U Craiova who are currently top of the leagues there. He has also captained the side on a number of occasions and chipped in with goals and assists throughout the season.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

It doesn't matter when the window opens though, does it? Deals have been getting done for several weeks. You can't officially register a player to play until the windows open but the fact it hasn't been open doesn't mean we can't get deals agreed - paperwork signed off, medicals conducted etc.

Tommy25 and john2061 like this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    We don’t need full backs, boli and Taylor are fine

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's hardly panic stations, but hopefully we get some business done in the next week or so. First league is in a couple of weeks and we only have one senior 'keeper and two out and out centre backs.

Dan Breen and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This is going to be the weirdest transfer window any of us have ever witnessed so I think some people are gonna need to have even more patience than before with Celtic tbh.

I've kind of accepted that already. We will get business done and already have Elyonoussi signed up think people are forgetting how big he could be for us.

The rest will follow I'm sure. I trust Nicky Hammond tbh. Hes looking in the right areas.

Rydo1888*, Rendog, Hammy89 and 3 others like this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If we have no sales...I would be happy with Forster in and good money spent on a CB. That’s it. If we sell Ajer, ntcham or eddy then we just need added replacements in their exact areas. Think the rest of the squad is fine

10. Foley1888

Not sure I would agree Boli, was a bombscare until the performance at Ibrox and eventually came in to a bit of form before being completely cast aside by Lenny after the January break. Taylor was the opposite was overlooked until January. He looked decent in early games, one particular standout performance against St Johnstone but then tired badly and struggled on occasion.

Goalkeeper and CB are priority but I wouldn't be against a good left back coming in particularly if it was a bosman deal or someone more comfortable in a 3-5-2.

I also worry about the mentality that we are fine with what we have, we were beaten over two legs by a very ordinary Copenhagen team. I know we had the chances and should have won that tie but even when we got back in the home leg with the penalty the midfield and defence completely capitulated and sold two very cheap goals.

Looking back to December, I know we had injuries and bounced back post January break but the team put in two very poor performances against them. I am always of the opinion that trying to add quality where possible is worth doing should the option present itself.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye, GK and CB and LB too, actually 2 Lbs, both are *.

I'd even think a RB, I'm worried about big El Hamheid.

Or the option to go 3 at the back and just get in 2 CBs.

12. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Well yes, timing does matter actually. Where are the players you’re wanting to sign coming from? Clubs whose leagues are still not finished perhaps? Or clubs (like ourselves) who are in a position where our new season is due to start shortly, but we’ve had no opportunity to conduct business because the whole transfer market is misaligned this year. That’s not the club’s fault and frankly you’ve got no idea what they have or haven’t done behind the scenes.

I’ve been a big critic of transfer dealings over the last few years, but any criticisms so far this window are premature and unfounded.

13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    In a time where money is tight...boli and Taylor are fine. There’s other positions we should be spending money on. Taylor was great after he got back in the team and both players are new within the squad; so think we’ll see them both improved this year. People said Taylor didn’t have a skill in him and he made it onto the Adidas promo with that in training! Hahah.

Copenhagen was a coulda-woulda-shoulda kind of game. We should never of lost that. And it was nothing to do with lack of quality. Eddy missed sitters that day but I’m not calling for a new striker. We just capitulated as a whole that second half. Coulda happened against any team any time.

On a normal season I’d be calling for LB, CB’s, GK, RM,ST, LM signed and Lawell sacked if obla isn’t signed :56: but this year I think we need to afford the cash on ‘maybe they’ll work players’ and spend money wisely on what we definitely need. Which right now is GK and CB...If anyone is sold, then sign replacements accordingly

14. CountyDownFaithful

And neither do you. Places like this forum wouldn’t exist if it was crystal clear what was going on behind the scenes. There’s going to be speculation - good, bad, indifferent.

Yes the COVID pandemic is going to affect the transfer window and the way in which business gets done. However, look at Chelsea signing Werner when both the EPL and Bundesliga were both still in action.

We’ve signed Moi and had a deal agreed in principle for Forster despite Southampton still playing.

Most the leagues that are ongoing are the top leagues in Europe and its unlikely we are going to be signing anyone from those leagues who is a regular first teamer. I’m sure these clubs are willing to look at deals for players who aren’t featuring though so they can begin sorting their squads for the following season.

2/3 weeks away from the best season in our history.. 1 goalkeeper and 2 centre backs. Hopefully this is rectified ASAP.

Tommy25 and The_Bhoy like this.
  15. stew37

Very harsh to say both our left backs are * in my opinion. Still reckon Boli can be a capable player for us with some work, and Taylor has been absolutely fine. Another RB would really just be back up as well.

Most important thing is to sort the keeper situation, and then perhaps a CB. Would be comfortable starting the season like that. The window is open for almost 3 months.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  16. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You replied to my initial comment after I said that people needed to keep calm because the window was just open today. There’s just no point in panicking. For all you know we’ve signed players and they’ve just not been announced yet (though I doubt that myself). One thing I do know for sure is that we’re trying to make moves.

For what it’s worth, the Werner deal was completely different as he had a release clause and it was public knowledge that he’d be leaving this summer. The Moi and FF deals are also considerably different considering they were both on our books last season and so we were already in dialogue with Southampton.

I completely agree that we need signings and quickly, but there’s also no point panic buying. A balance needs to be struck and the right recruits found. Hopefully that will be soon, but truth be told I’d rather wait until September and sign Forster than panic and sign say Joe Hart just now (just as an example).

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  17. Foley1888

I agree money will be tighter and wages will need to be considered too and likewise GK and at least one CB if Ajer stays possibly two if he goes.

For me there is just a lot of question marks about the squad at the moment Boli is one, by no means am I saying punt Taylor but still to be convinced by Boli he needs to majorly improve on last year.

In the striker department I’m more hopeful now that Eddy will stay but depending how Griffiths does with getting his fitness back up and how Klimala turns out we could be well covered or be in the position again where something happens to Eddy and a winger or midfielder are in upfront.

I know we don’t want to bloat the squad but I do think it is a good season for bosman opportunities where clubs have released players they would have rather kept or players have chanced running their contracts down or clubs are selling at a reduced price. If those opportunities present themselves and the right quality is available we should look to sign them if they would improve the team.

Given no winter break this year and how out on our feet the first team have looked during December the last two years having a pool of 15 or 16 that will be expected to get a good amount of minutes will be vital. Not to mention the new 5 sub allowance.

On the Copenhagen games, I agree we should have won both legs comfortably but we didn’t. The collapse in both fixtures felt like watching the Cluj game from the start of the season all over again. There is also a fair few good teams in the qualifiers this year particularly round 3 and the play off if we get there, so we will need to be at our best to get to the CL groups.

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I agree we should test the waters with a few players if the options are there...but only if they’re gonna improve our starting 11. We don’t need back up players now, we have enough good youth players coming through to give them a chance. A whole squad of Young solid extra back ups for example;
    GK: Hazard
    RB: O’Connor
    CB: Welsh
    CB: Deas
    LB: (Potentially hickey)
    RM: Dembele/Harper
    CM: Coffey/Robertson
    CM: Connell
    LM: Oko-Flex
    ST: Afolabi
    ST: Aitchison

add to that squad the already experienced pros we have in line before them I’d be happy going ahead with the season as we are (with a GK and CB signed like we said)
    Lenny only found out how he wanted to play within the last season so was very experimental with his teams and choices. I believe this year he’ll have a better idea of who he wants to be his 11 and also the players will know how he wants to play. Think we could all be surprised by a few players

Dan Breen and Dublin Celt like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Andre Schurle is a free agent as of today. BVB released him.

29 years old. World cup winner.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Schurle no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.