1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 23, 2017.

Discuss Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wonderin what will happen with biton an henderson before thursdy.good players but don't see were they fit in.both shouldnt be hard to sell,should receive decent enough fees for both.

thoughts do we keep Henderson?we know were going to lose Armstrong after this season,browns not getting any younger,mcgregor,rogic,ntcham will all be hot property soon I reckon if there not already.or sell with a buyback?

2. john2061

A centre half is a must and must be better quality than we have at present so hopefully one will be signed on Thursday and questions will be asked if we don't bring one in .

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Do we actually need to buy a new CB?

Bear with me, don't bite my head off, it just seems to me that we really don't.

It would be nice to buy a CB if we can get one better than Boyata and Sviatchenko; but that goes for every other position and I won't sweat if we don't buy anyone else this window (apart from a young "project" striker to replace Dembele when he goes next summer). I'd rather we only spend our money when we see an opportunity to improve on what we have or spot a young player we can develop.

What we actually need are the services of a competent CB for the next few months due to our injury crisis. TBH I'd be very happy with Denayer on loan for that. Before anyone says Virgil made him look good, I know what I saw: it's true we got a bit carried away and he's no VVD (who is on our budget FFS?); but he's definitely at least as good as Erik (arguably also Boyata) and more of a a ball playing CB to boot.

If struggling when misused by a * manager at the bottom of the EPL and failing to break into Man City's first team makes you *, then I must be imagining how good Sinclair has been.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yes..

Twisty likes this.
  5. JamesM09

Maybe I'm wrong but I think most people feel we need better than Boyata and Sviatchenko going into Europe ?

For me it's as simple as this:

Our attack is the best it's been in years. It can really be something special this season and it will be hard to keep it together next season. Let's get a quality CB in and really achieve something in Europe this season. * wasting this attack for because of a leaky defence. If there's quality out there for a £8m package then do it and strike while the iron is hot !

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why?

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Need is a strong word. Ideally we would like better, but based on last year, I don't think we need better in the sense that we have to buy whether or not a player is a good investment.

We are always looking to improve whenever we can, but if the opportunity isn't there, I'd rather we didn't spend the money on a poor investment.

8. JamesM09

I edited my post to say more but basically the iron is hot right now. This strike force won't be here next season (Dembele, Roberts..). Let's not let ourselves down just because there wasn't a bargain in defence. Spend the bonus money from VVD and achieve something in Europe before all our players leave as they always do.

We won't get another manager like Rodgers. You don't waste the time you have with him.

Random Review likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Because it's already been proven clearly that what we have isn't enough, or quality enough to step in for other's..

Simunovic can't play certain pitches. Boyata has always been injury prone. Sviatchenko isn't here. Ajer isn't ready. Bitton isn't a centre half. Our emergency full back's are better where they are..

We need quality back there and pronto. I'd be disappointed and majorly worried if we don't sign a real good one before the window shuts..

JC Anton and Twisty like this.
  10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That is actually a very fair post that makes me less sure of my position. :50:
    On the one hand, I still don't think it's a good idea to make bad investments if the opportunities aren't there; on the other, it is true what you say: when will we next have a midfield and front line as strong as this season and a manager as good as BR?

I still think I'd be happy with someone like Denayer on loan, though. I guess I just trust BR and (where this kind of thing is concerned) PL*. Both are experts in their fields, both have all the information we lack, both want what is best for Celtic and both are in constant communication. If it's in our best interests to buy a CB, I have no doubt they will. If they don't, for me that means that only bad investments were available.

* I trust him a lot less when it comes to politics and our board's treatment of the GB and other fans.

JamesM09 likes this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But why do we have to buy, mate? Surely a loan will see us through.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We shouldn't need seeing through. We aren't skint and already have 1 loan in..

We'll have player's identified and should be going all out to get him/them in. I know we've had a setback with Coetzee but that shouldn't come in to play as he wasn't exactly a hefty layout. A new guy in and Coetzee in January would still work well for me and I'd punt Sviatchenko now or in January..

littlekennie likes this.
  13. clonbhoy

A goalkeeper, two central defenders and a versatile full-back please!

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hope we succeed, mate; but improving our squad on our budget is so hard. How the * we manage to find gems so often amazes me. I won't be moaning if we can't do any more this window.

We do however need the services of a competent CB at least as good as Erik, hence my suggestion that a loan for someone like Denayer would be good enough. Obviously we'd all prefer us to buy quality if a good investment is available.

clonbhoy likes this.
  15. clonbhoy

Denayer can * off, his attitude stinks. I agree with you otherwise.
    I don't like Celtic signing loan players, but if it improves the team then I am happy whatever way it is done. Everything has to be done to get a central defender in who can walk into our first team, anything after that is a bonus.
    As I said above, I would like a keeper to challenge Gordon, but I can't see us having three keepers on first-team wages and I can't see Dorus leaving.
    I also can't see us signing anymore than one defender now, even though I think we very short of options across the back four.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's hard but we've had plenty of time now to get one in by the close Thursday. We'd all love it to be another VVD but right now, we just need a comfortable, natural defender to slot in..

Another loan would seem like real penny pinching by the board in my opinion. I know we've splashed out on Ntcham but we've had a real good last year and qualified for Europe again. International tournament. Virgil about to be sold. Plenty of deadwood out the door etc etc. A loan would be disappointing, depending on what kinda quality it was to be fair..

Random Review likes this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

Dear Celtic please make signings tomorrow. I'm back at work on Thursday and will probably get the sack if I'm caught trying to get on the net all day again. Ta :50:

Random Review and cidermaster like this.
  18. Irish-rebel1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Aidan Mcanespie
    Going by the deal that fell through for young cb from South Africa rivaldo coetzee any celtic fan expecting a marquee centre back signing is going to be left disappointed. I think Brendan will be in the market for a prospect central defender which isn't what we need currently because I feel Sviatchenko's head is elsewhere. We need a player who is going to push Simonovic and Boyata all the way for a place in the centre of the defence.

19. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

A new cb.
    Jon Flanagan to cover both full back positions.
    Striker

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think we'll bring another two in now. Maybe holding back money in the event of a permanent for PR. Since he's only signed on loan, I can see us splashing a few bob on a centre half and either a striker or someone to sit behind one in the Rogic role.