1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cross Platform] The Witcher 3 (opinions)

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Vinnie BBQ, May 26, 2015.

Discuss The Witcher 3 (opinions) in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

2. Moustache

Following the release of the teaser trailer, there's been an information blowout. I copied everything below from here, but this is pretty much everything important.

The Numbers:

• 30+ hour adventure

• Over 90 new quests

• Over 40 new points of interest

• 14000 lines of dialogue (Hearts of Stone had 6000)

• 100 individual pieces of armour (including new Witcher sets)

• More than 20 new monsters

• New Game+ maximum level increased to 100

Armour and Weapons:

• New Witcher armour class ‘Grandmaster’

• A new armour merchant who is the only one able to craft this level of Witcher gear

• Can get blue, hooded armour from Witcher 2, armour from Witcher 1, Ursine Witcher armour with furry pauldron that was in the artbook but cut from the main game

• More than 30 new weapons

• Can now dye armour. Dyes can be bought from a merchant, crafted or looted. Only obtainable in Toussaint. Pink is among the colours

• You can acquire the golden, plumed armour of the Touissant knights, and the same goes for Roach

New Mutation System:

• Mutations. 12 new abilities. Mechanic is unlocked through a quest started by a letter from
      Yennefer
      . Examples: Signs can have critical hits causing the enemy to explode, instead of dying Geralt is healed and has damage immunity, opponents knocked down by AARD freeze and die instantly. Can only utilise one at a time

• The UI resembles Witcher 2’s character customization screen. Basically they’re super strong abilities/stat boosts that require mutagens and skill points to unlock. Can only pick one at a time but you have to unlock earlier ones to get the others

• Despite unlocking it at level 34+ (recommended level to venture to Touissant) the system and anything you’ve unlocked carries over to New Game+ so you won’t have to unlock it again

UI Changes

• Greatly redesigned User Interface

• Can now rotate Geralt in stats screen

• Books moved to glossary

• Upon looting a readable item a little notification pops up in bottom left of screen. Clicking in the right stick (on Xbox One controller), you can read the text of recently looted books, letters, notes etc without having to go to the menu, inventory, finding the right book and so on

• Option to remove fish-eye effect from witcher sense

Home Base:

• Geralt gets his own vineyard called Corvo Bianco

• You can renovate it with large sums of money

• You can add a greenhouse of sorts where you can grow herbs for all your witcher potion needs, an armourer’s table, a stable for Roach (with its own stat bonuses), upgrade your bed, renovated interior and exterior, secret lab, guest room

• Guest room where old friends will come to stay. They said the names
      Triss and Yennefer,
      but were reluctant to reveal the names of anyone else who might visit

• Scaffolding and workers will appear after you choose to build something. Each change takes a certain amount of in-game time to complete, but you can just meditate til everything’s done

• Can display your armour, weapons, paintings and books

• Some paintings can be bought, or specially made, others are obtained through quests

Music:

• Over 2 hours of new musical content in the game

• The title screen song is a reworked version of the Bruxa song from the CGI trailer

Miscellaneous:

• Geralt can enter a tournament, creating his own logo and team colours. He may enter with a fake name, although it may not fool everyone

• You can of course race horses, but other events involve crossbow shooting and a grand melee. Seems like there will be more but they didn’t want to say

• Dynamic points of interest system. Killing bandits in their main hideout will affect the number of enemies in surrounding camps

• No new unique weather effects, but the lighting has been prepared specially to reflect the feeling of Southern Europe

• No new hairstyles

• As of the preview event (3/5/16) they were still working on the final boss fight

• Grass has been optimised, more of it but less expensive

• Improvements to cloth tech

• New sword sheathing option. With this new option Geralt no longer automatically unsheathes his sword at the start of combat. Also, he no longer switches weapons to match the opponent. The player has to do it on their own

• Nilfgaard and Northern Kingdoms physical Gwents cards exist, unsure if they’re being packaged with this expansion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sounds amazing. They're actually doing a special discount until the 31st where the Blood & Wine expansion will only cost £14.39, instead of the usual £19.99. So if you haven't bought the Season Pass (which is definitely worth the money) it's worth taking a look.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Cheers for that Moustache.:50:

The home base sounds great. Love having an upgradeable base in open world games.

4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Sounds fab!

5. MartinR

Had a few hours spare yesterday and messed about with a money glitch. Up to 134k in about 35 minutes.

Will come in handy for the home base!

It sounds really good, think I'll take a little holiday from work and enjoy it.

6. MartinR

Had a few hours spare yesterday and messed about with a money glitch. Up to 134k in about 35 minutes.

Will come in handy for the home base!

It sounds really good, think I'll take a little holiday from work and enjoy it.

7. Harry Caray

Loving the wither 3. I think I'm over 100 hours in, level 31 and I just took down the main boss right hand man and the crones under the tree so think I'm nearly done story wise

8. Moustache

CDPR posted a video about the development of Blood & Wine.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvQYNZmWHqY[/ame]

That's more or less the beginning of the final act from what I remember, I'd say there's still another 6 hours, maybe even more, to go.

9. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    finally got back to playing this now, trying to clear up as much contracts, POI's etc before tackling hearts of stone, hopefully be finished that right when blood and wine is released.

just had a quick query though, do you think it would be better to complete the main quests before going on to hearts of stone, or do both the dlc before finishing the main?

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Finish the main story first. If you don't you'll level up too much and the final few quests in the main story will be less fun.

Plus it gives you something to look forward to.

11. MartinR

I'm level 41...and the new level cap is 100.. But at level 41 everything I kill get me 2xp.

Hopefully see some high level expirence missions

12. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just turned this on. My * it's * beautiful!

13. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Took all the notice board tasks and now I can't find them anywhere.

How do I access these to try and do a few? I thought I'd try and do a few side missions and stuff first to get used to it before going to do the main quests.

14. Moustache

I think it's just a case of going in to the quest menu/journal and selecting which one you want to track. Once you select the one you want, it'll lead you to where you need to go and tell you what you have to do.

15. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yep, that's what I recall you do.

16. MartinR

Do the dwarf glitch for money before the new dlc as it will prob be patched.

17. Moustache

They've now released the full trailer for Blood & Wine.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJT5XRftOU[/ame]

The 31st can't come soon enough, this looks absolutely amazing.

18. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    * Sake :56:

I am absolutely * on this.

Only level four and keep running into things that are level 8+ and getting my * handed to me!

Any tips for getting better armor? Or ways to level up, other than doing side quests and exploring the question marks.

19. Moustache

Random loot or Witcher school gear sets are your best best for armour. The Witcher school sets are the best in the game, and can be upgraded throughout if you find the right schematics. You can buy maps off certain merchants that lead you to the areas where your can find them.

In regards to levelling up, it's really just quests, combat & exploration of the question marks that give XP if I remember correctly, so you kind of have to do them if you want to level up. The higher levelled enemies are basically there just so you can't explore everything across the entire map right from the off, and to encourage you to come back later. In all honesty, once you get past the early level struggles the game becomes pretty easy, it seems to be the thing that causes most people to quit from what I've read online.

20. MartinR

You can one shot drowners in certain locations, when your a low level and level up quite quickly. Check YouTube for the locations