1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Mate used to use the Easterhouse one every now and again when the Tollcross Glasgow Club was shut. Then it was pretty * tbh. Pretty small and not a lot in it, no air conditioning in summer. May have improved. I changed to GymGroup about 8 years ago. Usually use the ones in city centre but the Parkhead one is the newest and is very good. Open 24/7 £17 a month

dalbeth4 and stew37 like this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Went back to weightlifting about 4 months ago. Unsure about gains, I've stayed a similar weight but a bit trimmer. Don't know 1 rep maxes but examples are 3 sets of dumbell press from 12.5kg to 22.5, lateral pull down from 35kg to 55kg, double leg press 170kg, single 70kg. But work is getting busier and the wraparound care I had for my son has stopped from the end of the term so no time to go during work hours. Only work out 2-3 times a week doing a-b-a style although sometimes 3rd workout is cardio at the moment.
    Have thought about getting a reebok deck and some resistance bands. Never know what level to buy of resistance bands, brands are different etc. Just something I can pull out the cupboard, do 30 mins and put away.
    Anybody experience with resistance bands?

3. Mr Cleansheets

Is that like TRX?

If yes, my wife loves it. Great for the core.

If no... then I can't help you.

We've been working very hard in recent months to trim down as we're going away for a long trip soon (hoping to get to Scotland again) and likely to be overeating and drinking a tad. Mrs C has dropped 6 ks and I've dropped 4. Definitely feeling better for it (and my pants are looser).

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Trx bandit is probably the most similar thing in their range

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Did you get some mate. You can honestly do a great workout with resistance bands. I done a lot of that sort of stuff during lockdown when I couldn't get to the gym and it kept me in relatively good shape, even though I did put on a stone or so of weight.

6. dalbeth4

I popped into one it looked ok , didnt have a pool tho .
    I pay £16 a month (pension rates) for that i get access to the gyms , 3 pools full length ones, steam room and saunas

I use them a lot , the 3 pools are in the schools , they have small gyms , no steam rooms or saunas in the schools tho.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  7. Bonobhoy

Im 43 and have * *....Help

They so big they look like i have 3 knockers....like that chick in Total Recall

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Start off simple mate.

Try go walking twice a week, maybe 45 minutes to an hour or so at a time. Try getting the balance in your diet right. You don't need to eat 160g of protein every day and minimise your carbs but try and reduce your saturated fat. My wife has never been a gym person. She walks 3 times a week and she does the slimming world diet. * nails a milky way and a packet of skips every night as well, which is all included in her allowances. Most of my dinners are actually slimming world with more protein. The Bolognese and the curries really good.

If your confident enough to get in a gym, speak to a PT/Gym Instructor. 3 Full body workouts a week are more than enough to start you off. You'll lose some body fat and build some muscle at the same time. Then, after a few weeks, you can start getting into specific gym splits etc.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Going for a 10k run now..

Wish me luck :90:

Took my brother for a wee quick 4k run to sweat the * out of him from Christmas eve then we cracked on at dinner and no done a thing since. This should be good........

Edit: 10k in 50 minutes, no stopping. Felt like I was gonna keel over at the end..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think you need to look at various things until you work out what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy something you won't stick with it for long. I myself have gotten better results with cardio on the short term but I end up taking breaks because I don't enjoy it much so mainly do weights with cardio on top.

If you have room in your gaf it maybe worth having something at home, that way you cant make excuses. Best to have it visible to, if it is stored in a cupboard you may not get it out.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No 100% but thought fuckit let's go for a 10k earlier..

Weans broke my headphones i left in the motor so used the missus' airpods was just getting in to it near 4k....fell out my ear and it trickled on to this country road and the * coming towards me ran it over :giggle1: was raging like * shouting to no * in torrential rain (the world was against me at that point and was close to chucking it). Ended up doing the 10 but it was a slog and a half..

Brutal with no music. Hate those airpods. Like the old school headphones..

12. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I'm back to the weight loss and getting fitter. Got my favourite nephews wedding in June and I have to get ship shape! Got a stone to lose. Can't believe I gained about a stone since the beginning of December :52: Getting motivated and bought a new exercise mat etc. They must make a fortune from folk like me in January :56:I live in a place that it's easy to walk yet I still prefer Strathclyde park :39: Takes us about 2 hours to drive there now :54: Think I will try to get back on the 16:8 as well. Too much sitting around blaming the weather :48:

McChiellini.. and StPauli1916 like this.
  13. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    Right, any hints or tips for me starting the gym?
    I bought a full year in advance meaning i need to use and and cant cancel.
    Struggled with mental health for a while and fired in the pounds after being too comfortable, im hoping this helps with it.

My only silver lining is, i used to box and played pro youth and jnr football so i can cut weight really fast, but truth be told, im kacking my pants having to start and feek like a noob again.

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's only the first time your muscles will be in agony. After that you don't feel much. Also force yourself no matter how much you don't want to go. You'll feel better after. It's very easy to get into the habit of "tomorrow..."

8 weeks in if you diet and train you'll notice a big difference. Took me 10 months to notice a visible chest line. Thats me officially 2 years in 3x a week every week, and im a we lazy * so if i can do it you can!

For weight loss diet is key. I dropped 4 stone. When I went Christmas daft this year for a full 5 weeks of chocolate/crisp/takeaway heaven iv put on over a stone again :56: thatll be gone by end of the month.

Remember nobody will laugh or think bad of a "noob" this isn't online gaming. Your more likely to get a well done nod. Your at the gym doing the hard work. That alone gets respect. Don't be shy. People will gladly offer advice, show you exercises etc if you ask. Generally buff gym dudes love talking about the gym anyway so ask away.

Apparently woman just call you a perve when you ask them how to sqaut though. Don't do that :fear:

Jeannie960 likes this.
  15. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    Back from first session, i done 40 mins cardio (20 mins of that was HiiT) then worked my legs and lower back. Can hardly walk up the stairs. But im glad i went and its a massive step forward for me personally. Was busy as * so being an introvert naturally was hard but just battered on.

Jeannie960 and honda like this.
  16. Mr Cleansheets

I daresay this tip has been given before in this thread...

Friends have had good results by reducing their bread intake. I love bread so it was a tough one (but much better than reducing my alcohol intake). I've only dropped bread at breakfast - still happy to have a sambo for lunch - but the weight has fallen off me since the beginning of December (and Xmas/NY was pretty indulgent).

Have dropped 4.5 ks and people have started noticing.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'd say white bread is the killer more than anything. Very little nutrients in it to be honest, wholemeal is far better for you. I think bread is okay as long as you limit it. You shouldn't have more than 2 slices a day I think, 3 if you're being indulgent and may not have it everyday. It's a cheap source of food and things like toast and sarnies are quick and easy when in a rush.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  18. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    White bread your right is total * and doesn't taste good for me personally.
    I buy the wee Warburton loaf like the mini slices. 55 calories and 0.5 sugar. Perfect for a sandwich. I have one slice of ham, peanut butter and 80g salad with a wee bit of ranch dressing to make it taste. Banging!

19. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I have given up on bread and rice and pasta. Bread causes terrible bloating and makes me feel sluggish. No biscuits, sweets or sugary things at all and I've managed to lose 5 Ibs in 14 days :36: Hoping to be 10st 5 by 31st Jan. If I keep at it I will be at my goal weight of 9st 6Ibs by mid March :50: I really need to get into shape so that I can make myself a dress. The smaller you are the easier it is to make something that will actually fit :52:

It's all about breaking habits. I thought nothing of biscuits or cake with every cup of tea and I drink a lot of tea! My last meal is around 1545 and save for cups of tea I don't have a meal until 7 am. I need to eat in the morning to give me energy to work......blueberries and Greek yogurt or 2 stockans oat cakes with peanut butter and tea. Soup or a boiled egg at lunchtime and my main meal which is heavily reduced later in the afternoon. It's easier to do when I'm working as I'm very active and I do split shifts. I sort of compartmentalize my day like that. Making sure I eat a breakfast at the start and a meal before I go out to do the second part of the shift. I'm too tired by the time I finish at 8pm :56:There's truth in the saying that the older you get the harder it is to lose. You have to be motivated to shift yourself on your days off.

Mr Cleansheets and buchanbhoy like this.
  20. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Swimming is a great way to tone up and lose weight.
    I done eff all from Xmas eve till 10th of Jan then swam a mile ,,,i was fuked the following day i done 10 mile on the bike in the gym,, i went swimming at night and i was fuked again only managed 40 lenghts X 25 metre .

Take it easy with swimming it is really good for you,,, i take a bottle of water to drink,,, swimming can make you thirsty.

Remember you have to like and enjoy what you are doing ..