1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    So, I've been doing Jeff Nippards 5 day, full body workout programme for the last 12 weeks. This is where I am at...

Strength

Huge amounts of strength gained on my One Rep Max. 12 weeks ago my Bench Press was 100kg, Deadlift was 150kg, Squat was 135kg and Overhead Press was 70kg. Fast forward 12 weeks and that has been all boosted. Bench Press has went up about 10kg. Deadlift has went up about 20kg, Squat about 15kg and my Overhead Press about 20kg. Made even more impressive by the weight loss and the measurements.

Bodyweight

I've lost about 18lbs overall, which doesn't seem that much. I started at about 202lbs and I'm down at 184lbs. Now, I'm only 5 foot 6. So I mean, being 14 stone 6lbs, at my height, regardless of how strong I was wasn't good enough. Now down at a more manageable 13 stone 2lbs and the fact I have not only maintained my strength but dramatically increased it shows it was a lazy attitude to have. Ideally, I would like to be below 13 stone by the time I go on holiday next month, That's my current aim. Overall, a target of 12 stone 7lbs (175lbs) is where I would like to sit.

Measurements

Currently, I'm getting into all medium clothing so much easier. The situation for me before was that I would buy medium clothing and I wouldn't know if it was going to fit me or not. Depended on the size of the actual top. Now? I haven't struggled to get into a medium top at all. Some of them are actually becoming to big for me so I have been looking at more slim fit items. The jeans I had are falling off me.

Cardio

I done absolutely no cardio for the first 4 weeks of my programme, bar aiming for some decent amount of steps per day. Maybe 5k a day on average. After I done my first block(4 weeks), I included one fat burning cardio session and one HIIT session into my routine a week. Fat Burning session would be a 45 minute incline walk where I would burn about 350-400 calories and the HIIT session would be 12 minutes, 30secs on/30secs off. My final block, I completed one fat burning session a week and had 2 HIIT sessions a week. They were both 15 minute sessions, 30on/30off. One was a Lower HIIT session and the other was Upper HIIT session. I usually targeted the HIIT sessions after certain days, usually after a session and before a break day.

Diet

As always, eating has to be right. Predominantly, I would eat 3 meals a day plus a snack. Every meal would have large portions of protein and I would have carbs on one meal only per day, usually my dinner. I work 10 on and get 4 days off at a time so was easy to be in a routine on the days I was working. Less so on days I had off but I always kinda made sure I trained at least twice on my days off and I ate well on at least 2 of them, which usually offset the damage. Every second Monday, me and my wife are both off and the bairn is at nursery so it's always been our day to go out for some lunch or grab a takeaway indoors and watch a film. A munchy day she would call it. I managed to minimise that sort of impact when I would continue to train on the other days I had off.

What next.

I'm going to continue this for another 4 weeks before I go on holiday. They're usually blocks of 4 weeks anyways. The hope is I get below 13 stone, add a bit more strength and see where I go from there.

2. jj81

20kg on OHP in 12 weeks ? Possible if a newbie but to go from 70 to 90 in 3 months mental , I'd take 10kg in a year on OHP , why is bench only 10kg up when it's tougher to add to OHP than bench?

Do you take any special supplements ;)

Maybe you're just a genetic freak so well done on the pbs

3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think my base of 70kg as a ORM was slightly flawed. When I was carrying out my ORM day for my Overhead Press, there was a number of factors that made it so low, come off nightshift, had barely ate, low energy etc. Additionally, it was never an exercise I done and it was certainly not one I would do heavy. I would maybe do dumbbell press but I would always do high reps on my shoulders as opposed to heavy weight, which was the same for most of my workouts.

For example, in his programme for Overhead Press, you do 80% of your ORM for 3 sets of 6 reps on week one, then 4 sets of 6 reps on week 2 and then 5 sets of 6 reps on week 3. Then on week 4, you do 3 sets of 82.5% of your ORM and then carry on from there. I was actually doing 60kg on my Overhead Press on week 2 because the weight felt too easy. That's like 90% of my original ORM. So, even though it was a technically a 20kg gain, on paper anyways, that particular gain was probably a lot closer to the gains made on my bench press.

Also, you don't actually test your ORM until the very end of the programme. Which was 12 weeks. You just constantly get a new weight and target from your original ORM. So, it was quite hard to gauge what the new ORM would be. Until i actually done a whole day of it on my final training session and got the new ORM numbers. It's also not quite as easy as saying, after 4 weeks, your *new* 80% becomes the *old* 82.5%. The way he wants you to do it is to increase your weights by 2.5% every 4 weeks, then at the end, see where the major gains have been made.

jj81 likes this.
  4. jj81

Fair play mate that's good going , aye the progression used looks similar to that of 531

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    My brother in law was competing in Scotlands Strongest man this weekend. Some weight they boys shift let me tell you

6. jj81

Nice one , aye crazy weights.

Seen a guy compete there , he used to do powerlifting.

7. stew37

Anyone used the Glasgow Club gym or the Everlast one in Easterhouse? Looking at possibly joining one of them at the weekend.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Couple runs this week..

Monday 9 k in 43 minute's then another 1k all up a steep hill that almost finished me off but I fancied it. Max pace for the 9k was 03'51 and average pace 04'47..

7 today in 33 minute's. Max pace 04'15 and average 04'45..

Banging out a fair bit of my workouts indoors and in the park on the apparatus..

Saul Goodman and neilly1987 like this.
  9. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

* it, I'm gonna start training for and do a marathon.
    Feel free to bump this and slate me if I don't manage it.

10. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Today's effort, longest I've been doing so far has been 10k, gonna start going for longer runs at the weekends at an easier pace and adding on 1k or more if I'm able to each week.

Attached Files:

11. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    No Marathons anymore,,,just Snickers

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The only thing i can say is ,,,,, run on soft ground when you can ,,,grass and sand,,, thats why my knees are all fuked , pounding on the roads also treadmills didnt help,,,, thats why i swim a lot now

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Screenshot_20221023-135407_Strava.jpg Screenshot_20221023-135449_Strava.jpg ugh, help....

Saul Goodman likes this.
  14. leeso-ardoyne

What I was going to say! Last year I was on crutches after heavy running on roads. My knees where *!

15. leeso-ardoyne

Feel away there for few weeks with making excuses not to get to the gym or for some sparring although went back on Saturday night and feeling the effects of it now. Every muscle in my body telling me to stay away from the gym again haha. That red zone training in a boxing gym is torture. My 15yr old and 8 yr old doing it aswell and love it. Actually thinking of taking time off in December and Jan and hit the training hard for 8 weeks and nothing but good eating. Cuntish time of year it is for building work so might just put that aside untill February and have some me time. 5 days training, resting and eating good. Pipe dream for now but if not, I'll still be mixing it up with getting few sparring sessions in while training away while working. The change in mindset when training is like night and day!
    Have a new steel shed coming this week 5x4 meters which will be turning into a gym for when I don't have the time to get to the other gyms I go to.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  16. leeso-ardoyne

What supplements are ya taking to shred the lbs plus gain in strength that much. Usually when one is cutting, the weights don't go up that much if at all. You could run the risk of injury trying to gain strength while cutting.

What age are ya!

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Only supplements I took were Creatine, to keep the 'muscle mass' event though it's mostly stored water on the muscle.

In terms of the strength building, I have never trained for strength. Don't get me wrong, I'd see minor gains when doing the typical 4 sets of 10/12 reps but nothing quite like this. I don't know if the way the whole workout is laid out, 5 full body workouts instead of specific muscle groups each day was a factor because again, I've never done full body training. I've always tended to do specific muscle groups on certain days, what they call a Bro-split. The workout just seems to have suited my body and I still really enjoy training this way. It's not like it's became stale or anything.

Genuinely astounded at my progress to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from lean and over the last 6 weeks, I've not made as many strength gains as I had before but there are still some gains there to be made. I have also only lost about another 3lbs overall, in the space of a further 6 weeks. (I was on holiday for 10 nights and I drank and ate what the * I wanted)

Westlondonscot and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  18. leeso-ardoyne

Fair * to ya. Keep it up. That creatine, I took it years ago. Think it was 2006. It gives you alot of water weight plus I dine a serious amount of * all day with it. I was on a job of mine in Mayo back then and I was more times out the back slashing all day. This went on for awhile so I gave it up.

I'm not long in after RedZone training boxing training from 6.30-9pm with my young lads after a hard day's graft on site. Sitting here now with a Pina colada after big feed thinking why do I even put myself through this punishment at 42 years old. I'm in bits haha. But, with that said, I could think of worse things to get up to on a Saturday night.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    7.54k earlier in 35 minutes and did 6 and a half few day's ago as well..

Workout indoors and apparatus today..

Been ill a couple time's over last 2 week so jumping back on it properly for a bit now..

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Few more runs this week again. 6.5k on half hour earlier and banging out the workouts..

Been feeling a bit tight on my chest though, the left side. Thought was it my heart but put it down to the workouts and just being tight. Dunno though. Had this for over a week now so may chill with them for a few day's..