1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Aye ill unlikely keep it up though its far too strict. But once I lm reach my target, I'll have a better balanced diet and try maintain the weight rather than lose or gain

NomDePlum and honda like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    4k run there..

Hard graft..

3. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Trying to get back into shape. I'm not too bad but would just like to lose a few wobbly bits.
    Any joggers/runners got tips on how to not feel like I'm going to puke my guts up while jogging?

I used to play football non stop before lockdown and never felt this way running about then. Think there's more to focus on while playing football.

Chieftain and TheHappyLoss like this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Wouldn't call myself a runner or jogger and struggle myself mate but.....

Breathing in through your nose and out your mouth
    Back upright running through your heels in a decent stride
    Slowing down to an almost walking pace but without walking, when you start struggling
    Building yourself up from 2k, 3k, 4k etc
    Probably most importantly, telling yourself no to quit when it inevitably gets too much

It's so hard to preach this as all of that can go out the window when you're tired. I deffo struggle but all of the above I find helpful when I'm at it..

I've just personally had covid and been isolating and this was my first run back. Also my leg's have been a bit achey and my lower spine so I was pleased to get the 4k done. Originally set out to do 3k. Stopped for 10 seconds when I reached 2 and finished the 3 in about 16 minute's. Started walking and decided to do another 1k on the way back in just under 6..

5. TheHappyLoss

Not huge on running either, usually run for 20-30 minutes every morning. Best thing for me is to ignore I’m doing it, listening to music takes the mind off it. If I think about it it’s harder

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye music is a must mate. Good point about just trying to think of anything else bar your running when on it :50:

7. Lemmykilmister

Started being more disciplined with diet and exercise in November down almost 2 stone at the moment

I’ve just bought some resistance bands and kettlebells to start adding in some weight stuff as well mostly been doing exercise bike and hillwalking up until now any advice on resistance bands and kettlebells for someone with a bad back?

Seán Mac D and honda like this.
  8. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Breathing in through nose and out through mouth is good. But if you can- in through nose and out through nose is best for taking in more air and is more efficient. It's difficult to do though so don't worry , you'll find it difficult at the start. In through nose is a good start.

Also, on other days, try a few hill runs or sprint sessions. These will help you on your normal 5k runs, they'll make it easier for you.

Listening to podcasts is a good distraction. At difficult moments, count to 100 steps or 300 steps in your head, good distraction also.

I'd also say, don't land on your heels as this will cause you muscular injuries in the future. It sends a shock impact from your heel right up through your leg. It's best to aim to land on your mid-foot area when running

9. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Cheers for the tips. Breathing definitely Needs worked on

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    5km run each day for the past three days. Feeling good.

TheHappyLoss and McChiellini.. like this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Weigh day! Only lost 1lb this week :56: expected it though. Everytime I change my treat meal to a papajohns xxxl stuff crust pizza I only lose a lb :56:

Probably because I end up eating it Friday and Saturday its so big. Not expecting much loss this coming week either since its her birthday this weekend and I'm certain we will have a cake to polish off... I bought it so we definitely do :56:

will hit the treadmil an extra 2 times see if it helps. Got it for free from a neighbour who wanted rid :56: my workouts haven't been as intense this week either, my backs felt a bit dodgy all week so had to skip the plyo box training. Anyway a 1lb loss is another 1lb closer to T-shirt season! :56:

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

10th week of dieting complete! Lost another 2lb. Officially 2lb lighter than pre lockdown euro cookie binge fest :56:

4lb away from 2 stone. Personally I blame the new scales :fear:

Vertical jumps went from about 3.1mm :56: vertical to just over 20inch standing jump. Turns out plyo training actually works. Really need to get down a basketball court to see how high I am compared to the rims.

Not got any new weights to increase my 90kg bench yet. Can manage 10 reps. Would push more but I'm by myself and ill get stuck..

T-shirt season is looming and I'm about 11lb away from my favourite t-shirt. So thats approx 5 weeks bringing me to the middle of April. Anyway 10 weeks in and not one day iv felt weak.

#skinnycuntforsummerwithtinymuscles

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Another week and another 2lb out the window! Woop! I'd say T-shirt seasons arrived too early or I never realised how fat I'd become :56:

8 weeks i think until outdoor contact basketball will be back. That should be a further 16lb ish. Taking me fully into comfortable T-shirts with nae * n belly in sight. Still there but hiddable via a tshirt and not an entire wardrobe :fear:

Plan once I get to 15 stone is to drop all carbs for 3 weeks to loose the water weight and allow these hidden since primary school abbs out to play.

Not got new weights to bump my bench up, but its getting easy at the 90kg so better get some more. Anyway, see yous all next week!

#tittiesbegone!!

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday runs so far this week..

About 14k roughly plus some long walks and workouts in the park/indoors..

Getting there..

15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Been looking to get back into cycling again. I've went way too long without any form of exercise above walking.

Spoke to my boss last week about the cycle to work scheme which he's happy to do.

The only thing is I'm stuck between a hybrid and gravel bike. I think the gravel bike will be better suited to how I intend to use the bike but the decent models start from around £1200 (cannondale topstone 3) and even they're flawed with mechanical brakes as opposed to hydraulics.

Anyone here have a gravel bike? Are they worth it?

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinly have no clue on bikes. Mines is red :56: good luck getting fit though!

17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Neither do I mate! But like most of you, I'm finding inactivity is starting to get me down a bit. Due to sore joints, Impact activities like running are a no go and the physio told me rowing machines are a no go too. So cycling it has to be.

18. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Done 40 km running this week, more than I normally do in a month as I was off! Knocked 2 mins off my best 5 km time for the route I do. Definitely gets easier the more you do and the longer distances help a lot.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

This week was the grand loosing 2 stone week. * it... lost 1lb so 1lb away from 2 stone :56:

Struggled this week, come Tuesday I woke up and went to play warzone since I was off work... got up and I played so hard I * my back :56: so I pushed through small workouts, but nothing compared to normal. So will just have to be happy with 1lb. I also did extent my treat meal Fridays to Saturday and may have finished an Easter egg on Sunday aswel :fear: so not bad i suppose. Atleast the suns buggered off for another week or two giving me more time lol.

Aw well back on the bandwagon. Next week shall be the week!! :56:

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Just ran a 10k in 58 mins. Solid level of fitness for me.. I want to hit sub 50 minutes soon enough. That would be a nice milestone and it would be the fittest I’ve ever been. Any of you hitting a groove running at the moment? My problem when I get to this level is I usually tail off from pushing myself too much.. so I’m going to try to keep tipping away with sub 60 minute 10ks and a few 5ks and 6ks thrown in too before I try to push for a PB.