1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

Does that actually work? I always assumed it was a gimmick to rob money from the pro wrestling fanbase! :smiley-laughing002:

2. 703Bhoy

It does as its pretty much an isometric version of yoga and the workout is nice where you can tailor things to your own way. I was pretty skeptic at first because the community seem to be a bunch of over happy and very motivational but in a week I noticed my face is getting a little skinnier and that my posture has improved. I forgot I can now touch my toes haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  3. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

I've heard it's quite good, never looked into it though because I was skeptical.

lost 8 pounds in the last few weeks :50: currently 80 kilos which means I've lost at least third of my body weight since starting :eek2:

4. Darnok

It is only good for those who were used to doing almost no exercise beforehand. Most of the success of it is the change in diet he recommends. It is decent for stretching and so on, but the claim that it raises your heart-rate sufficiently to burn fat is only true if you are unfit in the first place.

5. 703Bhoy

Yeah I use it as a supplement to my main workout. The diet is intense though.

6. Darnok

Yeah, it is. I changed my diet along those lines, though as a vegetarian, about 6 months ago and have lost 14kg while keeping a good level of lean muscle.

7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Drumroll guys .......I'm 9st 8 Ibs so I've lost a total of 9 Ibs since 18th of May when I was 10st 3 Ibs :50:

Sticking with the 5:2 until I get to the weight I want preferably under 9st being as I'm only 5ft 3". The current goal is to be 9st 3 Ibs by the end of July. I still do the 16:8 not eating between the hours of 5pm and 9am although some days I can go a little later in the day which is actually a good thing. I've still to figure out cutting my TDEE on the non fast days as I'm sure I could do without breakfast at 9am and start eating at 12pm.

I'm persisting with the exercise when the opportunity presents itself. We walked around Strathclyde Park twice on Tuesday and aim to do that every week weather permitting. I have been using my hula hoop 20/30 mins and doing my bingo wings exercises 20 mins every other night. My triceps aren't hugely baggy or anything but I really would like nice toned arms. I use hand weights and small dumbbells, occasionally kettle bells whilst following you tube videos for beginners. I'm never sure how effective they are or if I'm actually going to succeed in my goal as I've never really done anything like weight training before as such.....always afraid I might be doing it wrong :rolleyes: I'm wondering how long it will be before I see noticeable results.

A new thing is coming along called the fast mimicking diet and it's apparently less rigid and extremely more health beneficial all round but It's not been widely published yet.
    It works on the basis of only needing to alter a week every month/3 months or so where you limit calories from Monday to Friday e.g. The original article however warns people not to start doing it until they've finished the trials.

For 25 days out of the month, dieters can eat as they normally would -- the good, bad and in-between.
    Then for day one of the diet, they would eat 1,090 calories: 10 percent protein, 56 percent fat and 34 percent carbohydrates.

For days two through five, 725 calories: 9 percent protein, 44 percent fat, 47 percent carbohydrates.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/diets-m...-memory-and-increase-lifespan-safe-way-338908

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2015...ay-fast-mimicking-diet-is-safe/9301435000614/

www.washingtonpost.com/.../heres-how-a-five-day-diet-that-mimics-fasting...

I'm also waiting for some menu ideas for this and will seriously consider it when I get to my goal weight. I'm such a picky eater that I really need some real ideas on food. I don't eat fish and I'm allergic to everything in the onion family so a list of choices to stay within that regime would be great. We will need to see what the trials throw up about the safety efficacy of doing it.

Anyway onwards and downwards people :50:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    People proclaiming weight loss of 2-3 lbs ; Your weight will fluctuate between 2-3 lbs in a single day depending on how much water you are carrying/ food you are retaining ( was 73.4 kg this morning , just weighed myself and am now 74.9)

Bigger picture though i have been on my diet for seven weeks was 82-83 kg and am now 73-74 , happy days . Got an incredible fat free chip method/recipe , taste just like chippy chips and is 2-3g of fat and about 350 calories for a big old portion ! Other than that loads of soup , egg noodles , cereals with skimmed milk , chicken/ham sandwiches ( danish bread lowcal with no butter ) . Diet is extremely low fat and i aim for 1500-1800 calories a day while working as a bricklayer means plenty of defecit . Not too hung up on carbs or sugar - been ripped to * a few times and ate as much sugar as i like just very little dietary fat , always works for me .

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

As of yesterday I am down to 13st6 from 16st5 around 9 months ago.

Took a few months longer than expected (managed to get from 15 to 12 a few year back in 3/4 months) but I haven't had the luxury of being able to get to the gym everyday like last time.

tbh I haven't even been following a workout and don't feel as though I have been pushing myself that much.

Gym has been consisting of stuff like.

10 mins cardio
    15 mins kettlebell routine
    10/15 mins HIIT

sometimes I will throw in deadlifts, pull ups and other things.

My diet on the other hand has been pretty much spot on for the duration so that has helped massively.

Getting bored as * with the gym now and need to find a new gym anyways, I have been really keen to get into some BJJ/Muay Thai/Kick boxing as I am done with lifting weights I thinl.

Anyone on here recommend somewhere for the above?

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I'm still doing ok on my 5:2 down to 9st 5.8Ibs from 10st 3Ibs. Hubby started on Monday and has lost 4.8Ibs this week already! My goal at the moment is 9st 3Ibs at the end of July I think I'm going to make it :icon_mrgreen: We're both sticking to not eating past 5pm until 9am at least. I'm going to try going longer tomorrow as it's a 500 cal day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  11. TimFloyd Gold Member

I honestly don't know how you cope with 500 cals a day :smiley-laughing002:

I try and eat around 1800/2000 a day but if I don't get all of 1800 say I only end up getting 1500, I feel it the next day when I'm fasting till 12.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

No being funny mate, but for the size of ye, you don't look like 13st6. *, I weigh considerably less than ye :56::97:

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    :smiley-laughing002: I used to be a terrible night time eater and I never thought I would ever stop that habit.

Today I didn't eat until 12 noon so that was 19 hours fasting. I had 2 slices of hovis wholemeal nimble with a small mashed banana with big pinch of cinnamon on top and a cup of tea for lunch.

Tea time 4pm I will have 100g of wafer thin honey roast ham, 75g of oven chips, a tomato and a cup of tea with a mini box of raisins to finish off. I aim to eat it all before 5 and that's me until 9am tomorrow when I'm allowed 1606 cals. :icon_mrgreen:

I've surprised myself with this and I'm experimenting by trying to push my fasting time further and further. I aim to try for 5pm until 5pm eventually. The longer you go the more fat burning your body does.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Jeannie, do you ever find yourself being less patient, more moody or less rational due to feeling hungry?

Not a loaded question or anything, genuinely curious.

15. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I was initially but I learnt it was because I wasn't pacing myself. Some people can exercise when fasting and that takes their mind off it but I know my limitations. I just keep myself busy and drink plenty of water. I don't overdo it on my fast days and I try to lie a bit longer in bed in the morning and go to bed early with my laptop to avoid temptation :smiley-laughing002: If I liked black coffee or tea it would be a blessing as you can drink that without affecting your fast.

I might add that I go through the day with a positive attitude now knowing that I have lost so much and could lose so much more. Initially I had my doubts that this would work and if I lost a few pounds I was afraid it would appear back on the scales when I was on normal eating days. I now have a greater sense of achievement and I ramp that feeling up on fast days. You might say I feel chuffed with myself when I stick to the rules and seeing inches off my waistline and hips makes me think of all the new clothes I will need :icon_mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  16. TimFloyd Gold Member

:56:

Tbf most if not all my Facebook pics I'm probably hovering around the 15st mark give or take.

I'm 5ft9 and have always looked heavy/bulky/thick.

Never been skinny skinny in my life.

17. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    My hubby is 5ft 9" and was 14st 13.08 on Monday last and today he's 14st 9Ibs this seems to be working for him.:celt_2: I must say though he's been great and wants to get down to 12st

18. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm 5'9 anaw, stocky *.

Skinny jeans are for poofs :38::56::56:

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thought there might be a little bit of it, fair play for having coping mechanisms. I fasted on Thu & Fri last week which was hard going considering I did a 20km hike on Wed. Got quite moody on the Friday.

I'd like to do fasting more regularly but I play sports most days and hike a fair bit too. So I have a pretty regular eating routine. I don't know if I'd cope as well as you do if I did it regularly.

Having said that, I only drink water, milk and tea just now and haven't had any sweets or chocolates for weeks. I'm 181cm and 82kg so I'm not massive, I just want to try and cut my body fat percentage.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I've been managing to eat healthy monday to friday and go to the gym 2/3 times then I go on the * and * it :smiley-laughing002: After the summer going to cut out the drink to once a month and get properly back into the gym & healthy eating. Hopefully :icon_mrgreen: