1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Left Flank

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Jun 17, 2020.

Discuss The Left Flank in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Doubting we will be seeing Moi back here, and that leaves Mikey as our winger really.

With the 3-5-2 it's between Taylor and Bolingoli then right?

Or what do we reckon? Shved!??

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I like Taylor he's done fine but I'm just not sure he a LWB in a 3-5-2..

I think we may invest in a LWB or even try Frimpong on that side.

For me MJ is going to be a 10 rather than a winger..

Would like to see this on occasion.

Forster
    Elhamed Jullien Ajer
    Forrest Christie McGregor Frimpong
    Mickey
    Griffiths Edouard

The_Bhoy and Marty McFly like this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yeah I'm keen on Taylor as a LB but not so much as a winger, as silly as that may sound.

At least we have a few options I suppose. Wondered if it might be a position we look for a more attacking player brought in.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I don't think Boli has any future with us tbh.

Gyp Rosetti, DonnyCelt and JC Anton like this.
  5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Against SPFL teams Bolingoli should be starting. For Europe we need someone better defensively though.

Frimpong Elhamed Jullien McKenna Bolingoli

:35:

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye seems a weird one Lenny went from playing him regardless of form to not at all.. Should have actually played him in the Cluj game tho..

Would have been happy with selling Bolingoli, giving Hayes a one year extension and signing a new LWB.

The_Bhoy and The Prof like this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Kinda miss Hayes already, just nice to have in case :92:

8. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Aye would sell Boli for whatever we can get for him absolute bomb scare of player, would look to bring in another LWB and also give Frimpy ago there as see where that takes us. I like Taylor think he's a good player, good on the ball and solid in defending but he's a left back in a 4 man defence for me, he doesn't have that change of pace or trick to really make a difference at LWB.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We’ll probably go for a new signing in that position, either as backup for MJ or someone better than him. Forrest or McGregor could also play the odd game on the left if needed.

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Definitely need it. I like Mikey but I don’t think he’s the answer at LWB and we are pretty covered in an attacking midfield role with Christie, Rogic and Ntcham.

11. oh bhoy

DEMBELITION part II and probably that young lb from hearts

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

13. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    stated this in thread of Hun Game and was roundly slaughtered for it. He is not good enough defensively. said i would be surprised to see him play after others were fit but too many Boli fan boys had the green tinted specs on.

He is a weak link (not physically) and opposition will target him. Passing is * poor, But who knows what the coaches have been working on with him but if he isn't good enough at the moment (don't think he is ) then get him loaned out or punted.

maybe if he plays further forward he can be utilised but need a solid left back behind him to do the defensive side.. Boli can get back to help out and his height is useful for defending corners.

If Taylor can improve his crossing then i think he will be good for us but KT is a hard act to follow

The Prof, The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  14. Paul McAuley

If we continue with 352 then i think we need to look for a natural lwb. Spend attacker money on them. Boli ive never been convinced of. I think people where guilty of willing him to be a player. Taylor has zero attacking threat. I honestly think the pair of them should have been out before Johnny. KT would have thrived in this system. Shame he vaules £s over worship.

15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

That left side is the stuff of nightmares man.

16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Keep Taylor. first season he’s played in a system like ours and didn’t do too bad considering. Following what we had in KT was gonna be impossible. Think we need to spend good money on a winger in front of him. Will push Johnston on to improve too. Boli is a good back up for the prem but in that case it’s a bad signing; that amount of money for a back up shouldn’t be happening. Don’t think we have any outstanding youths coming through at all down the left side so we need to be bringing maybe two players in for that whole side

17. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Improve his crossing is a bizarre statement had 4 assists in 8 games played that's a decent return for our LB he will no doubt be working on this side of his game as he eluded to with JK and stuff. Coming from Killie where the style was different was always going to take a bit of time to adjust. I think he will kick on next season and cement that spot as his own

Dan Breen and The_Bhoy like this.
  18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I reckon he’ll be in the gym loads too, when he arrived he was pretty skinny. Seems like he’s bulked up a bit since so hopefully that gives him a bit more of the explosive power needed to get past a player. If he gets this, he already has the delivery quality so could cement that place and solve our left side issues

19. Foley1888

I don't think his crossing was bad at all my only issue with Taylor was as a left wing back he lacked the pace or ability to past a player when squared up to them and given the amount of attacking we do this became and issue. I also think as mentioned because he was signed from Killie, the three games a week was new to him and I thought he looked tired as we churned through the fixtures. Defensively I thought he was pretty solid.

On Boli I think we need to look to sell as he was not even making the squad before the season had to end. We will make a loss but that loss will only increase the longer we keep him and don't play him. I don't think he was a great option at LWB either as despite having the energy to get up and down, having a good touch and being decent in the air, his positional sense was horrific, far too often he just passed the ball between players and gave the ball away and despite his pace when squared up to a defender he looked lost. I hope he can prove me wrong but being honest given the level of investment we make in the team you don't spend £3m on a left full back and then expect to have to be able to teach him the basics of defending.

On singing a left winger, I know we are light in options there but I think this depends what formation we are going to play predominantly. If it is going to be 3-5-2, I would rather look to invest in an attacking left back/ left wing back than spend a lot of money on a left winger that doesn't really fit our system. A loan deal for a left winger, a bosman, promoting a youth or looking for a frimpong type deal for a left winger maybe a better option to cover that position.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Taylors lack of pace makes him one dimensional, easy to mark.