1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Miller:eek::eek:

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Major lack of talent filtering through for Ireland, even worse than Scotland.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    About the only positive I can take from last nights * show was that we did not lose to the 6 county huns. Boy are we toothless in attack right now. Never seen us so bad going forward. Just another game for me that showed we need a root and branch shake up to bring the game in Ireland forward with the focus on producing players who are technically good and comfortable on the ball.

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I've never even heard of half their team nowadays Curtis, O'Dowda, Robinson, Stevens, Lenihan, Maguire, Egan, Hogan half the team have appeared out of nowhere. 6 months ago if I heard those named i'd have thought they were the Ireland Rugby team.

charlietully likes this.
  5. Norm Peterson

Would you be a fan of Michael Obafemi yourself?

6. Seosamh Máirtín

I have a hard time seeing MON quit, so aye he'd need sacked. Lennon would be perfect candidate for the job. Would he want it, though?

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Put it in perspective for the UEFA European Nations rankings.

Rep of Ireland started ranked 19th and currently have dropped 4 places to 23rd.and have been relegated.
    N Ireland started at 21st and currently have dropped 3 places to 24th and have been relegated.
    Scotland started at 27th and currently have dropped 4 places to 31st although still have slight chance to win group and promotion.
    England started ranked 6th and currently dropped 1 place to 7th and could still be relegated if they are beaten by Croatia or win group if they beat Croatia.
    Wales started ranked 14th and have dropped 3 places to 17th and are stuck in League B

So Rep of Ireland are still ranked for the moments above Scotland and N Ireland

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Forget the rankings, Ireland are *.

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :50::56:

10. Seosamh Máirtín

Standings
    Pos Team
    [

] Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Germany 10 7 1 2 24 9 +15 22 Qualify for final tournament3–1 1–1 2–1 2–1 4–0
    2 [​IMG] Poland 10 6 3 1 33 10 +23 21 2–02–1 2–2 4–0 8–1
    3 [​IMG] Republic of Ireland 10 5 3 2 19 7 +12 18 Advance to play-offs 1–0 1–11–1 1–0 7–0
    4 [​IMG] Scotland 10 4 3 3 22 12 +10 15 2–3 2–2 1–01–0 6–1
    5 [​IMG] Georgia 10 3 0 7 10 16 −6 9 0–2 0–4 1–2 1–04–0
    6 [​IMG] Gibraltar 10 0 0 10 2 56 −54 0 0–7 0–7 0–4 0–6 0–3

:bash:

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Being better than Scotland still leaves plenty room for being * mate :56:

Gabriel likes this.
  12. Seosamh Máirtín

Paul's always keen to put the boot in where Ireland is concerned and actually follows Scottish national team, if I recall. So get it up him :67: But aye...both are pish, it's a sad state of affairs. Two such strong footballing nations deserve better. :31:

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m keen to put the boot in where Ireland are concerned?

Your recall isn’t very good. I didn’t even watch the Scotland game last night.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    There is definitely a lack of talent coming out of Ireland..

Seems to me the English are now, even more so, trying to snap up any player's eligible to play for other nation's....even if they don't particularly want them. Bit like what Brazil do..

3 off my head who would add to this Irish side just now are waiting and trying to get in the English side now that Southgate has given them (false) hope..

Grealish
    Rice
    Liam Kelly less so but still a good player

No doubt more..

Has always been good for smaller nation's being able to use this loophole and I think you're seeing the impact it is having now and will continue to do so..

I'm sure I read England were doing it with Scotland for example Cairney. A player that isn't even good enough for them. Dembele will be another eventually you'd imagine..

Seosamh Máirtín and Gabriel like this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Part of the reason I think qualifying for the Euro’s is so important now. The SFA don’t know how to get the youth set up right while England are winning everything at youth level.

2020 finals would me a massive plus in trying to get the likes of Karamoko, Angus Gunn, Harvey Barnes, Alfie Mawson and George McEachran to choose Scotland.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Agreed..

Think almost all those player's are gone now though..

If the trend doesn't stop then any top class player from Scotland, Ireland etc born, may be pinched by England if they could..

I don't know if it's just qualifying for a tournament either. It would help but it goes much deeper than that. No style of play. Youth team's coached by dinosaurs. Club preference coming in to it big time. It's a mess and so poorly run across the board..

17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There’s not one player from my age group (born in 95) close to the Irish set up, and at 23/24 this is the age players should be well bedded into the team.

Played with and against all of the best players in the country at schoolboy level, the talent is there but the opportunities arent. There are major flaws in the development of young players here. There’s been changes made in recent years but I’m far from convinced they’ll be all that productive.

Bleak times for Irish football.

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Very bleak. Something needs to be changed at the core. Getting John Delaney to * would be a decent start.

Bobo_ likes this.
  19. Seosamh Máirtín

Must have you confused with somebody else on here, my apologies.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sadly your not wrong there with the prediction of bleak times ahead. I have said this before our structure is all wrong. There needs to be a root and branch change in how we bring players through in Ireland. The old system which basically was not much was just see the best lads off to clubs across the water who will develop them for us has been dead since the mass sums of TV money poured into the game there and those clubs started bringing in top youth talents from all over the world. It is just now in the last decade that we are seeing the consequences of that come to the fore.
    The new national league structures are a step in the right direction. But more needs to be done. Firstly we have to get away from the stone age brand of football we play and focus on developing players who are technically proficient and comfortable in possession and that means we need to take the best say 40 odd kids into a residential programme where they train in a full time professional setting so that when they turn 17 they have the technical base to give them a real chance to make it as full time professional footballers and at the same time create the basis for our own national team on a regular basis. We are a small country both physically and population wise so there is no reason we cannot install a full time residential programme and really make this happen.