1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Sporting CP Bhoy, Nov 13, 2018.

Discuss The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Just treated myself after dithering back and forth for the past 6 months. Stuck an order in for a Martin 000-15m - * knows when it gets here but I actually can't wait. Absolutely love full hog builds

[​IMG]

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lovely guitar mate. I prefer acoustics with a cutaway but I love the dark wood colouring of it.

Dannybhoy81 and Fontaine like this.
  3. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I know what you mean and it was something I considered before making my mind up on the 00015. The thing that swayed me was that I don't tend to play past the 12th fret on acoustics very often but I do fancy having an acoustic with a cutaway at some point.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye, not a lot of songs that require a bit of shredding on the acoustic haha. How does it sound?

5. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

So jealous mate. Tried one of these just before Christmas and absolutely loved it.

I normally go for a cutaway but this is the most comfortable guitar I have played. It’s the perfect size.

My mate came along with me and loved the 00015 as well. Few days later he ordered a D15m for £900 used online which was an absolute bargain. I prefer the size of the 00015 though.

How much did you pay for it if you don’t mind me asking?

6. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I've not actually got it yet. There's none in the UK so I've had to order one to be built in the US, which is why I'm not sure when it'll get here.

I have played one before. The mahogany guitars are much more balanced than the spruce tops and not as bright and twangy. I also went for the 000 cos I reckon it will be more comfy to play sitting on the couch as well rather than a dread.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  7. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah the D15 was the other option but like you I preferred the 000. It'll be comfier to play sitting on the couch in the house for long periods.

It's fine, I payed £1330 for the 000 through guitar guitar in the town. I was keen to get a hold of these before Martin eventually pull the plug on mahogany guitars. So it may end up being a good investment as well.

£900 for the dread is an absolute bargain! I'd been all over that if I saw it.

8. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah the D15 is nice as well but the size seems a bit excessive after trying the 00015.

The 00015 was £1650 in my local music shop. I thought this was quite steep as it was like £300 more than online but I took a photo of the ticket and have just noticed it says 00015ME and think this might actually be the electro acoustic version? Didn’t notice this when I tried it out in the shop.

I have been keeping an eye out for any used bargains coming up but they are so rare on the used market. Think they are that popular that no one wants to part with it after they get one :giggle1:

Have you seen anything to suggest that Martin might stop the mahogany guitars or just a thought you had? The mahogany guitars are such a popular seller for them it would be pretty crazy for them to stop them. This will just speed me up getting one now :giggle1: :50:

Fontaine likes this.
  9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

It's 100% the 15me at that price. I think that's the only difference, the addition of a pick up. I was talking to my brother about this earlier. He bought the mid range DRS-1 (£799) back in 2011. He said his biggest regret is not just spending the extra and getting the 15 series. They were £1099 then. Everything's just going up in price.

He also said he saw a 00015m for £950 on ebay a few months ago, but that was the first he'd seen one in months (he lost the bid ha)

We'll, I haven't looked but I've seen a few folk mention the possibility. It first started with Brazilian rosewood, they've now stopped using that and now use South Indian rosewood (they even use richlite for fingerboards on some models so they have previous for swapping materials) . Its suggested that mahogany may be the next one to go due to sustainability issues.

They might continue due to the popularity of the 15 series but its definitely worth keeping an eye on. If they stop then the price of these guitars will obviously rocket.

10. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Great choice mate the hogs have an exceptional sound quality off them, I know you'll enjoy the purchse, best of luck with it :50:

Fontaine likes this.
  11. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I bet he regrets that now.

£950 would have been a steal for 00015!

I think I would just go for a 00015m without the pickup as well as you are saving £300 then.

Think I will get my order in sharpish incase they stop them :giggle1:

12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...n-000-15m-solid-mahogany-vintage-appointments

Back in stock! Thats mine just been delivered there. The gf just sent me a picture of it at the house....and i'm not home tonight until the back of 10. fml.

_DannyBhoy_ likes this.
  13. seanm

Lol after 45 years as a guitarist i finally got my first semi pro ibanez p series hardtail with wizard neck.beautiful.have a few cheaper guitars.my first and still main axe is a westone thunder 1 which are now going for 3 to 4 hundred quid lol.effects eise its zoom and roland multi effects.ampwise its peavey specials.and for practice the roland cube amps are amazing. For demos and recording the boss micro br digital recorders are phenonenal small enough fir all your needs keep rocking guys.HH

Fontaine, Callum McGregor and scuzzy like this.
  14. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

* sake this always happens when you are waiting for something :giggle1:

Cheers mate. Actually picked up one recently at last! Mind I was saying that my local music shop had the electro acoustic version? I was in town recently and thought I will just go in and see if they can get the standard 00015m in rather than paying £300 odd more for the one with pickup and if it was going to be a long wait I would just order through guitarguitar like you did.

They checked and got back to me and said it was going to be June/July before they could get one from their supplier and they said to me that they would knock £150 off the pickup one for me since it was going to be a long wait. So I had a very brief think about it and thought well I’m only paying £170 more for the pickup version than the standard one which I thought was a good deal. Haven’t seen the 00015ME online for that kind of price. Seen that guitarguitar have it up for £1575 so happy with the deal I got.

Absolutely loving it mate. Have barely put it down since I have got it. Enjoy, let me know what you think :50:

Fontaine and scuzzy like this.
  15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

No way! That's a class deal, you'd pay around that for the pick up anyway, plus installation costs on top so yeah, you lucked out - really nice of the guys to cut you a deal as well. Those guitars will sell either way so fair play to them!

That's me just put the guitar down since I got home - plays beautifully. So glad I went for the 000 and not the dread now as well. Its much comfier and easier to play on the couch and I don't need the projection. I'd played the 000 before but it had been a while, so wasn't a full blind purchase.

The smell when you crack the case open too - amazing. I'll never tire of that with acoustic guitars. I opened the box in the living room and can still smell it upstairs

_DannyBhoy_ likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Nice one mate. Any pics? HH.

scuzzy likes this.
  17. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah it was a great deal. Really impressed, £150 is a fair bit to knock off so fair play to them. Like you say it’s not like these guitars are difficult to sell with how popular they are.

Yeah the smell is amazing! I was reading lots of people commenting on this before I bought the guitar.

I love the 000 size as well. Haven’t been over to my mates yet to try his D15 since he got it but I already know I will prefer the 000 because it’s just the perfect comfortable size for playing on the couch etc like you say. It’s crazy light as well isn’t it!

Fontaine likes this.
  18. Mr Cleansheets

Anyone had a play with a Kemper Profiler?

A mate of mine (different city) keeps raving about his - says all other amps are now dead to him.

I love the idea of them (being able to get that mega stack sound at less than 10 watts) but there's a long wait to get one ordered in and they're not cheap.

19. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    I thought of getting on myself a while back but just never got around to it, yes they are very expensive and as far as i know they are working on a new model / version at the moment so you might wanna hold off til then !
    A lot of people like this and the axe FX but the kemper is apparently best for people who like to just dial in a sound and go (like the front of an amp) whereas the axe fx is more menu pages upon pages driven, and more expensive again of course.

These are some of the best kemper profiles i've heard so far and was gonna go for when i got the kemper.

Top Jimi Profiles: Kemper Profiles by Top Jimi
    https://topjimi.com

You can listen to them on that page you should find them quite interesting.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    So I bought an Epi SG in 2003, a paint issue on the headstock from the factory meant loads went cheap and I got a decent epi for the price of a budget one. I switched the stock pickups for Dimarzio Super Distortions. The stock hardware was Grover Bridge and locking tuners so good stuff.
    I sold it 2013/14 to my Dad to buy an EVH Wolfgang. At the time I thought great, it wasn't great. The floyd on it was * and didn't stay in tune as well as a floyd should. Pickups also a bit meh. Replaced that with a kramer 84, which I still have, which has a superior humbuckers and floyd.
    A couple of weeks ago I got my old SG back, been in its case for 4 years but still in tune. Sounds great and we'll it is. I should never have sold it, the neck is ace, it sounds great despite being 20 years old (pick ups probably 40). I've played Gibson SGs and this is better, sustain is awesome you'd think you had a sustain pedal linked up.

scuzzy likes this.