1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Sporting CP Bhoy, Nov 13, 2018.

Discuss The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sporting CP Bhoy

Yup. Such a warm, iconic tone. I’ve got a Fender Deluxe Reverb ‘72 reissue and it’s somwhat similar. You can’t beat those amps. I have a Vox AC15 combo and a Hiwatt Custom 20 head which along with the Fenders gives me all the cleans I could ever want through valve amps. On the solid state side, I’ve got an Orange Crush 120 head which produces brilliant cleans...approaching Roland Jazz Chorus territory!

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    You playing blues or rock or bit of all kinds?

Sporting CP Bhoy likes this.
  3. Sporting CP Bhoy

Basically everything. I started out playing metal (70’s and 80’s), rock (classic, punk, indie, whatever else it can be called) and blues, and then I expanded into Jazz. I’ve actually been playing a lot of clean blues lately..Strat with some delay and reverb into a clean amp, Gimour style...it’s very therapeutic. Then I’ll go on a thrash metal kick for a week, then I’ll try my best to record experimental post-rock stuff with Radiohead beeps and blurps, lol. I love bands like Killing Joke and Mogwai, all kinds of stuff.

packybhoy likes this.
  4. tez mctic

??? Don't get this ......Drugs a big laugh???

5. tez mctic

Seen too many friends and top musicians destroyed by the curse
    to ever make light of their struggles:40:

6. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    This is where we have arrived at unfortunately with social media. Drug use should be a personal struggle not glorified and these kids just try to outgun each other. Sad really.

7. tez mctic

Appreciate the youngsters have a different environment to deal with..
    but as my old da used to say ,,it;s nice to be nice...

8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

That's the thing, I'm a competent player (thought I'm bound to be rusty in not playing for three years) and I could justify the two guitars in that sense. But agree with your comments on the Prs as it gives options.

The dream atm is a Gibson 3-55 but I can't justify that expense for now haha

9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

With regards to the Mexican models yourself and @packybhoy have mentioned. I'd need to play them and see for myself hut thanks both for the heads up. Was under the impression that they were similar to the MIJ models where you needed an 80s model to be worth it.

Sporting CP Bhoy and packybhoy like this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It’s a video of a guy snorting whilst taking the *, it’s not a * snuff movie.

11. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    More of a sniff movie if you will :67:

12. Sporting CP Bhoy

Fender makes several different lines of Mexican Fenders and in my experience, the higher end Mexican Fenders are indistinguishable from their American made counterparts. If you can find one of these Mexican made, special run nitrocellulose lacquer Strats with matching headstocks, you will be quite happy, I found and got one three years ago and it’s an outstanding Strat...

13. Momo Sylla

IMG_20181114_141531_174.jpg

That's missing 3 acoustics, my epic 335, ukulele and keyboard.

bagforlife and Sporting CP Bhoy like this.
  14. Sporting CP Bhoy

That’s awesome! What is the red two humbucker guitar? That looks super cool!

15. Momo Sylla

That's actually my first guitar. It's a first act random model which I can't remember. Really easy to play with crazy low action.

They're probably best known for this...

16. Sporting CP Bhoy

@packybhoy, here’s a pic of the chop mod Twin Reverb...you can see how more or less a quarter of the amp was cut off. The clean and overdriven channels are controlled by the foot switch .

upload_2018-11-14_20-39-7.jpeg

bagforlife likes this.
  17. Sporting CP Bhoy

Yup...I remember that ad! Brent Hinds of Mastodon is famous for playing custom made First Acts!

upload_2018-11-14_20-47-15.jpeg

upload_2018-11-14_20-47-48.jpeg

upload_2018-11-14_20-48-33.jpeg

18. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Ahh a new thread on geetars and amps how cool i never expected this in a sellik forum, i have too many * guitars, a few amps, and a custom pedalboard ( which only took me 30 years to build LOL). Been playing about 39 years classic rock, rock & metal, used to play in a local band called 'KONG' for about 10 years maybe longer can't recall now, in the Glasgow, EK circuit. So i may have seen a few of you at gigs and i hope you had a good time. We sure did.

For people asking what's the best guitar to get my advice would be try as many as you can, whatever the make, the one that sounds good to you and feels good to you is the one to get. Try not to get too hung up on a particular company, don't forget the majority of the people you listen to are all given the big makes free so they advertise them for the company.
    It's not always true the big companies make the best guitars some of the workmanship in them now are terrible full of filler everywhere, necks warping coz the wood is sealed too soon and not correctly dried etc. It's all personal taste to be honest.
    Same goes for amps, some like valve some like solid state some even like modellers, my gigging amp was a Marshall 9100 Dual Monobloc with 5881 valves linked up to a mashall JMP1 valve/ss preamp. I liked the tones in it for the music we played at gigs and I basically just used 3 different dialed in sounds clean, crunch and lead, but again it's all personal taste.
    Have fun & rock on...LOL

bagforlife and Sporting CP Bhoy like this.
  19. Sporting CP Bhoy

Awesome post! I started this thread because I love gear and while I belong to a few guitar forums, I figured talking gear with fellow Celtic fans would be even better, lol.

I’ve got way too many guitars, amps and pedals as well, I’ve actually been selling off a lot of stuff I just don’t need, but I just can’t bear to part with my amps (mostly Marshall’s, Orange’s, vintage Sunn’s, Fenders, Vox and my prized Hiwatt).

Post some pics of your gear, would love to see some road worn guitars and amps! I’ll post pics of my stuff as well.

I never played through a Marshall 9100 Dual Monobloc. The Marshalls I play the most lately are a JCM 900 SL-X and a reissue 1987x Plexi. I also have a couple of Bugera Valve amps that I’ve modded and I love them.

20. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    LOL yeah I been gumtreeing some of my stuff as well, I used to use a 900 sl-x in the studio at rehersals and a crackin' Crate 100 watt head which sadly vanished from the studio one day here's a few pics to get started, my pedalboard, Amp and a guitar or two and me lookin rough at xmas

amp.jpg

Marshall 9100 dual monoblock with JMP1 and ADA pre's well road worn huh LOL.

Pedalboard.jpg

Pedals gathered over the years this is my most recent setup

Gibby-MIII-Deluxe.jpg

Gibson MIII Deluxe

calendar2018.jpg

Me looking a bit worse for wear last Xmas with my Ibanez JS1200

hope ye like the pix :0
    cheers
    skuzzy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018