1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Celtic Trust - Fan Ownership/Representation

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Seán Mac D, Dec 5, 2020.

Discuss The Celtic Trust - Fan Ownership/Representation in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic Trust has made a proposal to the board of the football club that it offers season ticket holders the option of receiving shares in the club instead of cash in respect of refunds due on season tickets for this season.

Before the start of the season, the club told supporters it was their ‘firm intention to give additional value to season ticket holders for this and coming seasons’.

The cheapest season ticket costs £510 and fans have only received a match steaming service worth around £90 for the season.

Some hospitality season ticket holders have already been offered a cash refund option whilst ordinary season ticket holders have yet to hear from the club.

With ongoing uncertainly over when crowds will be allowed back into stadia and a new manager and a team rebuild on the horizon it is crucial to retain money in the club and to promote the help sale of season tickets for the forthcoming season.

The club has received about £25 million from supporters for season ticket purchases. The proposal from The Celtic Trust

• preserves the cash position during unprecedented and difficult times for professional football,
    • creates a positive dynamic for the sale of season tickets in season 2021/22 and
    • offers a younger generation of supporters an opportunity to own a stake in their club.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I’d rather Low commented on his involved with a potential buy over of Rangers in 2012 before giving his group more money.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He did at the time, it's a nothing story.

"I was approached by one of my clients - a very, very wealthy family with existing interests in sport - about being their local partner in a Rangers takeover.

"It would not work. I am an unreconstructed Celtic fan. But business is business and that should not be an obstacle.

"Even if I could convince myself to do it, and to accept all the nonsense that would come with it, there are people around Rangers who are just not ready to deal with someone like me taking on a role such as this. It would damage the business itself, with threats of boycotts and such like.

"It would be like Mo Johnston times 10. It didn't seem feasible."

packybhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  4. saltire78

This is almost exactly what I suggested a while back, so clearly it does represents a way to get people there money 'back' without hurting the club! I'd be in favour of this towards increasing fan power

Seán Mac D likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I suggested it last summer when there was a legal obligation to refund season ticket holders for games missed in season 19/20, as a way of keeping funds in the club.

This season there's no legal obligation (change in T&C's ensured that) but arguably there's a moral one. The only "added value" I can see is a digital program that no-one reads and putting the Ross County League Cup game on the pass (wish they hadn't in hindsight)

Expecting any sort of acknowledgement or engagement from this board is probably fanciful though but it would be a start in repairing Board-Supporter relations that are likely at an all-time low.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  6. celtic warrior

Not read anything in this thread but if it helps fans have a voice.... Not necessarily gain control of the club, make the board properly accountable for their * then I'm all for a mass fan movement via trusts etc...

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Honestly, most of our fans do my * head in.

We’d be bust in a year or two if we were calling the shots :56:

Bayern Bru and KG-Henrik like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    How muxh to buy out Desmond

seanm likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

seanm likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone know if his maths are correct?

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

seanm likes this.
  15. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Most fans shares aren't worth that much anyway and aren't in it to make a profit.

We need more say in how our club is run, we have no voice and The Trust seems a decent vehicle for achieving that.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Things can't continue the way they are tho, we've never had a real voice and the chasm between this board and the fan base is at its widest in decades..

How frustratingly powerless were we this season as we watched their ineptitude unfold so angry we had to demonstrate and look how they dealt with us. No communication, nothing, unless trying to to criminalise us and then the the stubbornness in not even trying to rectify a salvageable situation as far back as October... Shambolic, negligence..

The board treat us with utter contempt until they want our cash.

I'm hoping the new CEO helps to address this when he takes the helm, but bigger change is needed we need a voice on the board and the best way to achieve that is to increase our shareholding and the Trust seems a decent vehicle for achieving that.

Even when successful on the pitch its been clear that we've needed more of voice, after all its our money that's been squandered. It is our club.

Most fans that can't see this do my * head in mate tbh. :56:

seanm likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

We 100% need a voice and a bigger say, I agree with that. I just don’t want us in total charge of the club, fans would run it emotionally. Worst thing we could do.

We booed Fergus McCann and Brian Quinn ffs.

Bernie Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

FAO any Trust members who aren't signed up to emails (especially the ones that want to depose David Low):

'The Annual General Meeting of the Celtic Trust will take place, as previously notified, on 27 April at 7pm. The meeting will take place on Zoom and the link is as follows (please do not share with non-members).

*Redacted Zoom code to keep any miscreants at bay*

The Agenda will be as follows:

Welcome and apologies
    Chair’s business
    Secretary’s Report (including an update on the work of the subcommittees)
    Treasurer’s Report (including the accounts for the year end 31 March 2021)
    Resolutions (See Note 1 below)
    Elections (See Note 2 below)
    Chair
    Secretary
    Assistant Secretary
    Treasurer
    Trustee Board Member (13 places)
    Note 1: Any member who wishes to put forward a resolution to the AGM should notify us by email to trust@celtictrust.net by 20/4/2021 – sending the text of the resolution and the name of a seconder where possible.

Note 2: Anyone who wishes to be nominated to any position should, if possible, notify us to the above email address by 25/4/2021 and include a proposer and seconder where possible. '

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony