1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Truly a bizarre individual.

2. Al Bootyerbaws

The boy is a complete roaster. One of these * who thinks he knows it all and talks constant pish.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  3. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Jake Paul vs Anderson Silva tonight. My money's on Anderson easy.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Seen Jake Paul won by unanimous and knocked him down once. That's a bit of a riddy.

5. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s mad that arguably the best boxer of the last ten years was fighting last night and the only two comments in here are about a freak show YouTuber in an exhibition match against a 47 year old ex mixed martial artist.

Not having a go, but it’s a sad indictment of where the sport is at the moment, and just a reflection of the public attitude in general.

Skelleto and King of Kings like this.
  6. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Katie Taylor that's it thats the comment

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

7. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    That tyson fury interview with true geordie is embarrassing, comes across like a * ala conor mcgregor.
    Watching him trying to find excuses not to fight usyk saying they are from different eras and giving joshua a deadline to agree a deal is just ways to save face but its not working and tbf to true geordie he called him out on it. Not that I'm convinced joshua really wanted the fight either but hes got nothing to lose at this point.

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    This has to go in the boxing thread. Check out Paparelli's double jab! :)

Sergeant Ernie Bilko discovers that one of the platoon, Private Claude Dillingham, is a boxing champ so Bilko enters him for the inter-platoon championship only to learn that Dillingham refuses to fight.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  9. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Looking forward to the hitman hattons titgj tonight even though it’s an exhibition, the lads in some shape

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tyson Fury says he 'needs to fight Anthony Joshua' before he retires
    [​IMG]
    Fury will face Chisora instead of Joshua in December, eight months on from his win over Dillian Whyte

Tyson Fury says he "needs to fight" fellow British heavyweight Anthony Joshua before he retires.

Negotiations over a potential bout between WBC champion Fury and former unified champion Joshua's teams broke down in September.

Instead, Fury, 34, will defend his title against Derek Chisora in London on 3 December.

"I don't think I can retire today because I need that Joshua fight," Fury said on the High Performance Podcast.

"We have been trying to make that fight for years. It's the fight that people want to see. It's the fight that I want to see as a boxing fan."

Discussions over a potential bout between Fury and Joshua were held following the 33-year-old's defeat in a second fight against Oleksandr Usyk in August.

Shortly after the bout, Fury challenged Joshua to a fight via a video on social media, to which Joshua accepted, saying he would be "ready in December".

Negotiations ended with both parties blaming each other for the fight not coming to fruition.

Fury's meeting with Britain's Chisora, 38 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will be the third meeting between the pair, with Fury winning in 2011 and 2014.

Fury won the WBC title, alongside the The Ring belt which he later vacated, in his second of three fights against Deontay Wilder in 2020.

At the time, Joshua held the remaining titles in the heavyweight division, before his first defeat by Usyk 2021.

In the past year, British heavyweights Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois have also earned statement wins in the division, with Dubois beating Trevor Bryan in June and Joyce defeating Joseph Parker in September.

Despite all the potential bouts for Fury in 2023, he says Joshua remains top of his priorities.

"For the last four or five years, there has been this three-headed monster: me, Wilder, Joshua," said Fury.

"Joshua and Wilder have been slain, and I'm the last one standing. All of a sudden, you've got some new people coming up now - Joe Joyce, Daniel Dubois, Usyk's gate-crashed the party.

"Now there's a load of new blood that wasn't there five years ago and it's like, 'can you beat this person?'

"But I think it would be an absolute dying travesty if me and Joshua didn't fight in this era."

11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Fury changes his tune every few days, can't take anything he says seriously.

NakamuraTastic and King of Kings like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Have a look at the links between Fury and the doctor who helped Eubank Jr take gear.

Very damning, particularly given his own history of PEDs.

13. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Retirement this retirement that and trying to set up fights then pulling out last minute. What a massive * bore he is to listen to.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. scootz

AJ has lost 3 of his last 5... he's tarnished! Fury doesn't need to fight him.

The fight that he NEEDS - the one that could secure his legacy - is against Usyk. There isn't another match-up out there that comes close.

But we don't hear Fury saying all that much about Usyk - I genuinely don't think he fancies it. They say that a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un. I'm not so sure here. IMO, Usyk is a better boxer, and he's certainly capable of being busier over 12 rounds. I see him outworking Fury for a decision. I wonder if Fury thinks this too!?

Skelleto likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would love it to happen, but I just can’t see it. The size difference is comical.

I think whilst Fury doesn’t necessarily need AJ, it is without doubt a fight he should be pursuing, if he wants to really improve his legacy. Right now he has two elite names on his record in Klitschko and Wilder, and one of those names has never actually beaten an elite opponent. If he wants to be viewed among the all time greats, there’s a lot he could do to enhance his legacy, because it body of work just now is very thin.

Personally though, the PEDs ban and subsequent work with Dr Usman casts a massive shadow over anything else.

16. Al Bootyerbaws

King of Kings likes this.
  17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    'At least 80% of sections in the Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium are available across all three major resales websites.

It’s not a good look for Fury. It proves that many British boxing fans are not on board with this title bout.

But for now, selling those 62,000 plus seats seems like it could take another mountainous effort by Fury’s team. The thousands currently sitting on resale sites will not be sold if ticketmaster is in healthy supply.

They will either need to be given away at a loss or left without takers.

Prices would have to drop considerably over the next few days for the site to be a complete sell-out with all seats occupied.

Currently, most seats remain available in seats priced at £150 to £200.'

Blimey!

18. Al Bootyerbaws

File this next to - "The way to beat Khabib is to punch him in the face, can't believe nobody has figured that out yet."

19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just noticed whyte is fighting tonight, will give it a watch

Lecs likes this.
  20. Lecs

Aye he's fighting Benjamin Franklin or something.

dbhoy72 likes this.