1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I understand Fury here. At least im more on his side in this matter. He offered Joshua a fight he's not worth getting. And Joshua could not sign the contract by the deadline. Simples. Hope Usyk gets the fight now as he is at least worth the shot. Tyson would destroy any of them anyway.

Joshua tried to play billy big baws by accepting the fight a few days to late, and got hilariously * for it.

Morcombe likes this.
  2. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Boxing has turned into a wwe sideshow of back and forths on Instagram

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s standard Fury these days, sadly.

Just talks an endless amount of * basically. The type of bloke who goes from walking out to Boys of the Old Brigade to bringing flowers to commemorate the queen :giggle1:

The chances of it happening within the timeframe were always slim to nil. Still some decent fights out there for him even if it’s not gonna be AJ or Usyk, but Charr isn’t one of them.

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Fury is an utter roaster. The most cringeworthy man alive.

Offers Joshua a fight on short notice, thinking he’d reject it. He accepts, then starts chanting about deadlines when the initial contract was sent about a week ago.

Lawyers need plenty of time to go over the fine details of a contract. Would you sign a contract that a man with the history of Frank Warren has sent you without looking at the finer details?

No boxing contract for even the smallest title fight is signed on the first attempt. The other party always sends back comments and requests for adjustments, often multiple times.

Even the slightest issue could cause Joshua legal issues and millions of pounds. It could be something as simple as one of the rival companies of one of his sponsors being showcased on the canvas or on the ropes, or as part of the broadcast, which wouldn’t be allowed due to exclusivity clauses.

I honestly think people just assume that you agree a split and the venue and they are good to go. Fights are complicated to make, especially between two global stars with the contractual obligations that they have, and Fury knows this more than anyone.

The agreement will be so complex, not to mention the negotiations required between BT and DAZN for fair split of the broadcasting and promotional rights.

I can’t believe people buy in to Fury’s bullshit. Multi million pound super fights are not made by some * clown making outlandish statements via Instagram live. Bizarre behaviour.

5. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    If Fury has sent Joshua a contract with his signature on it and the contract itself doesn't have an actual expiration date then can Fury refuse the fight if Joshua signs it in the next couple weeks?

6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I dont get how people roast Fury for this? Sure it's childish but he offered Joshua a fight IF he signed the contract by a dead line date. He did not, and now the fight is off.

7. scootz

He set AJ an impossible task, and the general feeling is that he did it to promote himself.

Skelleto and NakamuraTastic like this.
  8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah this is me too. He seems to be turning back into his original plonker form.

scootz likes this.
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

You surely can’t be that naive. It’s not two blokes agreeing to a scrap outside their local.

10. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Read the Frank McCallum post a few above.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Because the offer is largely impossible to accept. How often do you see fights of that magnitude made and take place in such a short timeframe? Just feels like it was never realistic.

I’m not convinced he really wanted it on this occasion, which is fine, but fighting Charr should be called out for the absolute * show that it is.

Mind you, I don’t think that him saying it’s off necessarily means it’s off either. He just talks endless *.

12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
  13. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Fair enough.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Fury's actually been getting on my * lately...and I'm a fan of his..

I do think Hearn and or Joshua....don't want the fight though. He loses this he's definitely gone. The whole brand's finished in my opinion..

He's already very fragile mentally and another would be the end....after just signing a deal with Hearn's DAZN..

I get contracts take a while and you can't just bow to demands...although really he's been given the biggest lifeline ever.....but I watched Hearn waffle about the contract and how long it takes blah blah blah....saying Eubank/Benn too 3 month's to get the contract sorted.....yet have agreed in principle to this fight date of the 3rd of December..

Seems like a lot of hot air to me..

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    The motto of every boxing fan since Fury burst onto the scene.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I love the big * but he's been * talking way too much lately..

Retiring when every man and his dog knew it was pish
    The back and forth with this and who he's fighting etc

Queensbury are still the lesser of the evils though for me..

I've said before I don't think Hearn really wanted him in with Wilder, as I think Wilder brain damages him and I think it's obvious why he wouldn't want him in with Fury now. It'd all over..

Complete fraud Hearn. Think a lot have seen through him for quite a while..

Simon Jordan done him a beauty earlier as well as he's hiding from any live interviews on it....Hearn stated it was because of Benn/Eubank press day or that but Benns trainer Tony Sims was in the studio:56:

NakamuraTastic and Hammy89 like this.
  17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Eubank Jr v Conor Benn: Eubank's lack of 'respect' for rival's punching power 'scares' Roy Jones Jr

By Marc GatfordBoxing writer
    Last updated on3 October 20223 October 2022.

[​IMG]
    Roy Jones Jr (left) was Chris Eubank Jr's main coach before this fight with Benn
    "I don't think Eubank does respect Benn's power and that's the only thing that scares me a little bit."

All-time great Roy Jones Jr's message to Chris Eubank Jr is simple: do not underestimate the smaller man, Conor Benn.

The sons of legends reignite their all-British family feud at London's O2 Arena on 8 October, some 20 years after their fathers' historic fights.

Jones has 47 knockouts on his own record and has trained Eubank in recent fights, but Ronnie Davies has taken over from the American for this one bout after Jones stepped aside as Eubank's head coach and from corner duties.

Jones recognises one-punch knockout power when he sees it, and he sees it in unbeaten Benn, despite the fighter moving up almost two weight classes to face his bigger rival.

"He loves to brawl," says Jones about Benn. "He can box - I'm not saying he can't - but he'll smash you out like his dad. Not many people have stopped Chris Algieri. He did it."

"Conor is his father's son," he continues. "If he gets the opportunity to take you out, he's going to take you out and that's just who he is.

"If I were in Chris' corner, I would keep telling him - listen, don't just let him hit you. Don't just allow him to hit you. I don't care that he's smaller, I don't care if you don't respect his punch power."

Brighton's Eubank can negate Benn's ferocity with focus, according to 53-year-old Jones.

Recognise the power that his fearsome father Nigel has passed down to him. Be alert to the danger during every round.

Jones, however, has not been able to hammer his advice home in training camp after stepping down as Eubank's head coach - though he intends to return to Eubank's side after this fight.

"I do understand that this fight is partially credited to his father's legendary career," says Jones.

"If it was not for the two fathers, this fight would not even be a fight. So because this fight has been basically made because of the two fathers, I do nothing but respect the fact they both want to be in the corner for their sons."

He adds: "I can't train him and his dad train him, we're two totally different philosophies - it doesn't work."

[​IMG]
    Eubank wants his father in the corner on fight night
    Eubank intends to have his father in his corner, to take on the Benns together for the third time.

Jones, however, is prepared to come to the UK if Eubank Sr refuses to be in his son's corner.

"I'm pretty sure I'd go because that's just who I am, but you can't have too many cooks in the corner," Jones says.

Preparations took an unusual turn for Eubank when his father "went missing" soon after the fight was announced.

Eubank Sr, it transpired, advised his son not to take the fight. He even suggested he may pursue legal action to curtail the contest, unhappy with his son needing to drop three pounds below his typical 160lbs middleweight limit to the contracted 157lbs catchweight.

Jones says a defeat by Benn, alongside the weight, will be high on Eubank Sr's list of concerns.

"He knows a loss for Chris would not be a good situation or look for the family or for the career, so it has more negatives than it has positives for Eubank Jr," he says.

"And that's what I think the real concern for the father will be because he has everything to lose and not really much to gain, and that's a kind of bad situation."

Eubank Jr carries the family's unbeaten legacy and his future earning potential into what will be a white-hot atmosphere.

But if the pressure is mounting on Eubank, you would not know it.

The 33-year-old has cut a relaxed figure on social media, indulging in burgers, fried chicken and birthday cakes, sending a message to Benn that he holds no fear of missing a weight he hasn't made before, something Jones agrees with.

"He can make that weight so easy," says Jones.

On a November morning some 22 years ago, Nigel Benn claimed he had over six pounds to shed to make middleweight before weighing in the same day to face Eubank Sr.

Benn's son is unlikely to find himself in similar trouble.

[​IMG]
    Conor Benn (right) is the smaller man by some distance
    But Jones says there are comparisons to be drawn between the fathers and their sons when hostilities are renewed in the ring.

"Conor's a very good puncher like his father," he says.

"Eubank on the other hand will take a page out of his dad's book and become the more finesse guy.

"He's got to be smart, outbox him. You've got to allow Benn to [throw] those destroyer-type punches and take full advantage. When he overreaches with them, try to throw the knockout punches. Try to throw the destructive-type punches."

"[Eubank can expect] one-punch knockout power and one-punch knockout shots from Benn. Chris on the other hand could outbox Benn and he's the bigger man, so he also can throw a one-punch knockout shot and get Benn out.

"I think the only way Benn can win is by trying to land one knockout shot. Chris on the other hand can win however he wants to win, because he's a bigger fighter."

Jones has more than respected Eubank's choice to have his father in the corner, and while he has been careful not to "give him advice against what maybe his father's giving", he has offered some fleeting words of support.

"I told him to keep the chin down going back - don't back up too high," Jones says.

"As long as he does that then it doesn't really matter, because if he stays focused he won't get caught."

Eubank has already said he will retire if Benn beats him, and Jones agrees.

"He probably would [retire] if he lost to Conor Benn - he'd almost have to retire. I understand that," says Jones.

"How are you going to prove you're a top-rated middleweight [if] you lose to a welterweight?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/63093238

18. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Benn tests positive for a banned substance but Eubank wants to keep the fight on.

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Fury looks like he’s back on the gear.

20. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Benn been on the Mexican steaks. Was looking forward to that as well