1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Fury has proved himself as the best of his era by a country mile. An era Joshua was and is a part of. Joshua lost to Ruiz and Usyk, that’s on him that he never earned a match with Fury.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Indeed.

And he hasn’t.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeah that’s basically right.

He’s a head-to-head nightmare for a lot of fighters, but his resume is severely lacking, which makes the pretence that Joshua wouldn’t improve it all the more bizarre.

4. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yeah, it definitely adds to it. A Usyk win for me is where I'd be thinking about where I could slip him in the top 5.

Edit: Top 8 is more fitting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Joshua losing to Ruiz destroyed his image. He was seen by the casuals as a wrecking machine, who'd walk through anyone. Then along comes a wee fat guy and lays him out, makes him quit.
    After Ruiz splatted him around MSG, and the life and death war with old Wlad, Joshua now fights holding back and gun shy. I hope he reverts back to the old AJ and goes after Usyk in the rematch, because I can't see anything other than a KO loss heading his way.

6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Of course Joshua would improve his resume. Joshua is probably the 4th best of this era though. You’re in dream land if you think a win over him suddenly lights up Fury’s resume.

Sure Fury’s resume isn’t the strongest but he’s beaten everyone put in front of him in emphatic style and cleared out the division. If anything it’s Usyk he’s leaving on the table if he retires, not AJ.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Unique take, I’ll give you that :giggle1:

No idea how you could put a 14 fight Chisora whose best win was Sam Sexton above Anthony Joshua. Wilder is arguably ahead of him, but it’s debatable either way, and Joshua has the more impressive wins than Wilder does.

Again, what you think Fury’s opponents would do to Joshua is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that Fury hasn’t fought him, and doesn’t receive one bit of credit for hypothetically being able to beat him.

The “you really like AJ” stuff is just cheap tbh. At no point in his career have I been a fan of his, I’m simply holding Fury to the same standard boxers have always been held to - credit for what you’ve done, and not what anyone things you could do, when it comes to assessing legacy.

There’s absolutely no question he would be one of the very best names on Fury’s resume.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Correct - he would.

No idea where the ‘light up’ phrase is coming from, but a resume is dramatically improved by a fighter getting a win against what would widely be considered to be the 2nd or 3rd biggest name of his career. Madness to think otherwise.

Don’t disagree at all re Usyk. Very winnable fight for him, but counts for nothing unless he actually does it, which is the only point that I’ve actually been making here.

9. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

He fought Haye and Vitali like a year later. He was big favourite for the Fury fight I'm sure, he was no mug at the time.

I genuinely don't think AJ is anything special and if Fury fought and beat him, I wouldn't rate it in Fury's top 5 fights. Just my opinion.
    Folk were saying in the media last week that Whyte might even beat AJ should they fight again. Now I don't agree, not at all, but it shows you the level of they 2. They're both miles below Fury, imo.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You are all over the place. And seemingly getting wound up over something extremely trivial into the bargain.

11. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I love watching Fury fight but * me, the guy just spews bullshit 24/7.

A walking contradiction.

12. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

A maverick, it comes with the genius of him.

But aye, he talks some amount of * :giggle1:

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

He got KO’d by Haye and lost a clear points decision to Vitali.

There’s simply no way I could I have a novice version of Derek Chisora whose best win is Sam Sexton ahead of Anthony Joshua. Not even remotely close in truth.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    :giggle1::giggle1::giggle1:

Stirring and solid argument, as always Paul.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Of course all of this conveniently ignores his PEDs ban, but we won’t go there :giggle1:

16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Aye but my point is he was fighting the 2 of them through merit, he was clearly not a novice nobody when Fury fought him. Fury beating AJ still ain't getting in top 5 performances for me, if it were to happen obviously.
    3 Wilder fights, second Chisora fight and Klitschko fight, all rank higher than an AJ win for me.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It actually very telling that anyone things I’m raging by bringing up Fury’s PED ban :giggle1:

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't care either way, genuinely laughing at this thread..

You do seem a bit salty though :fear:

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Nobody is saying he was a nobody, but he was a relative novice who’s best win was Sam Sexton. I mean you can disagree on what qualifies as a novice in this context, but to suggest someone who’s best win was Sam Sexton is better than Joshua is mental to me. Not as mental as saying Klitschko was in his absolute prime when fighting Fury and behind washed up 18 months later when fighting Joshua, mind.

I don’t think the Chisora win would be anywhere close to Joshua currently, and it’s a better win than the 3rd Wilder fight too. To give him his due, he was a victim of circumstances vs Wilder, because it should never have happened 3 times.