1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

AJ went life and death with Klitschko and Whyte, and Fury schooled both of them, and it was also far better versions of both fighter.
    Fury can box their heads off, and can also fight inside and be a wrecking machine, like he was against Wilder in fights 2 and 3.
    AJ tried to be a boxer and got embarrassed, I just can't see him giving Fury even the slightest bit of trouble. Most can't tbf, but they still want the fight because it's two british fighters and they want another Lewis and Bruno type hype.

2. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    its gonna suck if Fury retires before becoming undisputed champion first.

3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Prove it.

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He doesn't need to prove anything, as each association has its own challenger its tough to be undisputed champion.
    He's wealthy as *, well should be anyway. Joshua has lost a couple now and I don't think Fury needs to beat him to prove anything.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Nonsense.

It would be a far better fight than the one he’s just had, and one of the best names on Fury’s record.

This is really demonstrating that the hyperbole around the guy is insane at this stage. He doesn’t receive any credit for being able to beat XYZ in the boxing community, which is the standard any fighter is held to - they have to actually fight and win.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    His resume would be very thin, sadly.

His choice though, he’s earned the right to walk away with his head held high, but I’m not gonna pretend wins over Wlad and Wilder make him the heavyweight GOAT or any other nonsense like that though.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Utterly irrelevant.

Honestly, it’s bizarre seeing people who should know the sport better try to give people credit for fights they could win.

The reality is, Joshua would be one of the 3 best fighters Fury has shared a ring with. It’s mental to suggest it doesn’t improve his legacy or that he’s somehow ‘above’ fig he but Joshua, especially considering some of the absolute cans in his record.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    That’s the thing with Fury and his large, casual fanbase.

He’s reached the stage where he barely even needs to fight top level opposition anymore because people believe he would beat them anyway, and that’s supposedly meant to be enough.

It’s boxing. You get credit for the things you’ve done, not the things you could hypothetically do.

9. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Who has AJ beat ? And of this illustrious list, who has he schooled, like Fury did with Klit, Wilder and now Whyte ?
    AJ has been perfectly manufactured and sculpted, he's had careful fights for a long time, and only stepped up a couple of times. Fury's resume is far superior to AJ's.

10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

You're coming across as the casual here, mate.

Klit, Chisora x2, Wilder x3, Whyte.

Klit, Ruiz, Pulev, Povetkin, Whyte.

Klitschko, Pulev and Povetkin were all washed up beyond belief when AJ finally fought them. Whyte was green, and was awaiting surgery for a * shoulder too.

Fury went to Germany and beat a super champ in Wlad to win the belts. Then went to America and beat Wilder 3 times, the same Wilder that Hearn wants none of for AJ. AJ carefully picked Charles Martin fs. AJ hasn't beaten one great fighter at their peak. None.

Stop lapping up Hearn's bullshit.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I get it, you like AJ.

The reality is he’s nowhere near as good as you perceive him to be.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The fact you’re even trying to turn this into a Fury vs Joshua discussion would suggest you’re the casual. I’ve done nothing of the sort.

That said, the hyperbole is well and truly on show here. The ‘super champ’ version of Klitschko was suddenly ‘washed up beyond belief’ in his very next fight :giggle1:

Sticking to the subject of Fury, the absolute reality is the only two names of any world level quality on his record are Klitschko and Wilder, who himself has a best win by way of Luis Ortiz.

To say that a win over Joshua wouldn’t enhance that record, is nonsense. It’s a very thin record in terms of actual elite names. Joshua would be - at worst - the 3rd best name of Fury’s entire career.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Again, incredibly weak strawman.

I’ve been on this forum saying I believe Fury would beat him even when AJ would’ve started as the bookies favourite.

This bizarre idea that Fury gets some sort of credit for hypothetically being able to beat him though….pure casual talk.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    How the * have you managed to quote a post that doesn’t even mention Joshua and immediately bring him into it? :giggle1:

Honestly man, all this just reinforces my belief that Fury has a fanbase who are averse to hearing anything even remotely negative about him.

Fury’s resume is superior to Joshua’s. I believe Fury beats Joshua.

None of that matters. He doesn’t get any credit for supposedly being able to beat Joshua, and Joshua would clearly be one of the very best names of his career.

15. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Well once AJ fought him, he hadn't fought for 18 months, and his last fight, he lost, comfortably, to .... Fury.
    Fury travelled to the champ's backyard and won, when he was on a crazy win streak and destroying *. * like Pulev and Povetkin btw, who AJ fought about 7 years later, when they were washed up bums.

It is a Fury vs AJ discussion, of course it is. The whole point is Fury's comfortably the best of this era's heavies, and he doesn't need to beat AJ to prove it. I'd much rather see him fight Usyk, who is a legit elite fighter.

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s simply no basis for saying Wlad went from absolute prime to completely washed up between fighting Fury and Joshua. None at all. Barely even took any damage in the Fury fight and looked good against Joshua in what was a cracking fight.

You can have a Fury vs AJ discussion if you like but I’m not interested in having it. I’m simply stating the absolute fact that Joshua would be one of the top 2/3 names in Fury’s entire career, and as such would clearly massively enhance his legacy.

17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Well it's not a fact. I'd put Klitschko, both Chisora fights and all 3 Wilder fights ahead of a AJ fight, should he win.
    The Chisora that Fury fought was a different fighter to the * gatekeeper nowadays, he'd give AJ all sorts of problems.
    I also think the Klitschko Fury beat would beat AJ, and Wilder would lay him out in a shootout.

You really like AJ and think he's amazing and would be some name/result, if Fury beat him. However I think the performances I mentioned above would be more impressive.

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It is a somewhat thin record, but you can only beat what's in front of you. He isn't the greatest ever, or proved him to be (although I agree he has enough fans who believe he is but Joshua has plenty too) I don't think a win against Joshua really improves his record much, only a win against Usyk would really and that won't have the financial benefit of a Joshua match and it would be a while I imagine before he could fight him too.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  19. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think he gives any boxer in history problems with his ability and physical attributes. Based on resume though, he'd be 8th—15th at best.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Agree. Folk will say Mike Tyson, Marciano or Ali etc would all beat him, when in fact, they're * tiny compared to him.
    I don't think he's GOAT, absolutely not. But he would give them all a hard fight.

Lewis, Bowe, Foreman, Vitali, are just a few who would all give him *. They're big enough and strong enough to mix it with him.