1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Nasser

Boxing with big fights you can often find some good odds, because of the casual betting market in UK on boxing. The value is on Ruiz by KO and you can get good odds for AJ by points as well. It was the same when Bellew beat Haye the odds for the second fight were a joke they still had Haye as a big favorite despite his injuries and how * he looked the first fight.

cidermaster likes this.
  2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I think Wilder and Fury would both show Joshua up for being absolutely nowhere near their level. Wilder is by no stretch of the imagination a good 'boxer', but his power would be unavoidable for AJ imo. Fury would do to AJ what he did to Wilder minus the knockdowns. I'd be very confident of that but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again :giggle1:

cidermaster likes this.
  3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

That was insane, I cashed Bellew both times. Haye had not had a proper boxing match in FIVE YEARS before the first fight. * madness.

Nasser likes this.
  4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye with heavyweights anything can happen I suppose.

Wilder is a complete freak of nature though. Watched his last fight. Had him losing every round then nearly took the guys head off :giggle1:

cidermaster likes this.
  5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah didn't even look like there was a huge amount on the shot. Bizarre power that man possesses. I backed Ortiz because he's clearly the better boxer and he was like 4/1 but wasn't shocked he lost to be fair.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye looked like there was barely anything behind it.

Doesn’t make any sense how powerful he is.

7. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Thing with AJ is he has a bit of big Pricey about him, his gas tank is more than dubious and when under pressure he seems to panic. Hope Ruiz stalks him the whole fight and keeps him guessing, AJ will burn himself out.
    Soon as AJ engages, Ruiz has the speed to fire back a quick combo.

Gyp Rosetti and cidermaster like this.
  8. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    That is the thing about this beautiful but dangerous Art you can win on points it by stopping the opponent. All the skill on the planet cannot not always counter a heavy knock out.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Joshua looked tired today and is the guy under the most pressure but for me he will knock Ruiz out within the first 7.

Little bit more patience in MSG and he wouldn’t have been in the ring to be caught and shocked. He had Ruiz on a plate.

10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

At what point do you think he had him on a plate? I don't think Ruiz was ever hurt even when dropped.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

3rd round he rushed to finish the fight when he had him down.

He’s spent a lot of his career chasing the finish and it bit him hard on the * against Ruiz.

I think the new body shape is a result of a guy that will point fight, at least more than he has done.

12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I've got a feeling AJ is going to seriously go to town on Ruiz.
    Think we all know he underestimated Jr to his own detriment in the last fight. I reckon he's clever enough and experienced enough to make amends.

As an aside, would love to see Wilder and Parker go toe to toe. Honestly think Parker would take him, there will be a reason the WBC have never sanctioned this fight....

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I felt similarly until I watched it back. Have a look at that round again and get back to me, see if it changes your mind. I really don't think Ruiz was ever hurt at all. The knockdown didn't seem to rattle him much at all.

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

AJ did * up by going in for the kill the last time, he opened himself up, was exposed and punched himself out somewhat. Also, there definitely was an element of luck with Ruiz landing behind the ear and AJ being concussed.
    That being said before Ruiz went down there was a glimpse of what was coming, every time there was an exchange before it, Ruiz was happy to trade and unleash combos.

scootz likes this.
  15. Nasser

Parker would win most of the rounds and then get absolutely iced like Ortiz did.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Parker v Wilder is a bit of a weird fight to want to happen. Parker’s star power massively shot down after the AJ and Whyte fights.

The fight I’d want to see is Whyte v Wilder (after Fury has boxed the lugs off him again). He’s getting more recognition now because of the run he’s on but Whyte has been under rated for so long. I actually think he’s a better boxer than Joshua now.

Slaw likes this.
  17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Well slight flaw in your paragraph as Fury gets knocked out by Wilder:50:

18. scootz

I'm really looking forward to Joshua v Ruiz II. Like most folk I thought the first fight would be a total farce... but * me did I - and most folk - get that wrong! Ruiz can fight!

I watched the first contest today again and what I saw was that AJ's best hope in the rematch is to box from distance... and KEEP that distance. And if he tags Ruiz with a fair skelp, then he needs to relax, KEEP the distance... and wait patiently for the next opportunity. And repeat... and repeat... and repeat... until Ruiz can't take any more, or the final bell sounds!

He does not want to rush in and get into a phone-booth exchange with a wounded JR. The wee fella can take a dig, can deliver a dig, and those short arms allow him to work much more effectively in close than AJ's.

As an aside - we all love to compare fighters from different era's and what the AJ v JR fight showed me was that prime Mike Tyson would rip through AJ. It would be a Tyson v Bruno type of scrap (I've always said that AJ has a very similar style to Big Frank... body beautiful, can hit like a horse kick, but he's not very mobile, telegraphs his punches, and has a questionable fuel tank).

19. celtic warrior

Could see AJ losing this.

Would be mental if he did, then watches Ruiz go on to get schooled by Fury or KO'd by Wilder, that would mess with AJs head big time.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I hope he does lose again..

Never believed the hype. He's as fake as they come and his weaknesses have been there for years..

Whyte was a rash gasser with a shoulder problem and had Joshua dancing round the ring. Klitschko was finished and 40 but still had him down on his are but was a few year's shot to finish the job. Povetkin had him in trouble and hurt early on before gassing and another old man who was too wee really. Ruiz was just able to jump on him properly where the other's couldn't...or were too hesitant..

As for Wilder/Whyte. Wilder would knock Whyte out. Whyte has came on leaps and bounds but is still too easy to hit and that won't end well against Wilder...who can actually take a punch as well but has zero technique. Would be a good fight while it lasted but I think Wilder would end him inside 8..

Nasser and ILoveTheCeltic like this.