1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  2. James Gold Member Gold Member

What time is Khan fight on 4 or something ?

3. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I know ive moved over when id rather watch a relatively poor card on the UFC than a decent fight like this Khan fight!
    Will try and keep a eye on it though and hope Khan wins.

4. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Didnt see your post mate......hope you get it up!:50:

5. Celticbhoy111

How many undercards are there tonight?

6. Bozza

Fav Celtic Player:
    K T
    What time will Khan step into the ring?
    Obviously fight time depends on how far the preliminary bouts go. According to his Facebook page, Amir is expected in the ring at about 4:30 UK time on Sky Sports 1.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Khan looking good though still leaves his chin hanging out there just aswell Molina hasn't got any power

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Don't like him but respect his performance just hope the media don't disappear up his * again

9. pod

Cant say it deserves respect as such. That guy was * beyond belief. The only positive imo was that he got the win and it gets the mentality going again. Still feel he has a lot to learn cos as you said, he did leave himself open a few times. A puncher will take him clean out when he goes back up a few levels in class of opponent.

10. Pearse Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley and Let The People Sing
    Khan must put his fans through *, every time he's touched his legs are on the verge of buckling. Still, he has one of the best offenses out there and I always enjoy his fights, hope he gets a rematch with either Peterson or Garcia to see what happens.

11. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    You can see that he has worked on certain things, but he gets caught so easily and it looks like he is forcing himself to try and defend better.

Molina didn't have enough in the tank to hurt him, better boxers will as we have seen before.

Brave effort from Molina has to be said.

12. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Couldn`t wait up for the Khan. Did anybody see the guy Groves fight last night? First time I`ve seen him, only watch him because my mate was raving about him. Have to say I wasn`t that impressed with him, although I`m not an avid watcher of boxing.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Groves is a quality boxer mate, the guy he was fighting is as tough as they come. He took Carl Froch 12 rounds recently in a bout that was closer than the Groves win. Vary much past his best but still a good win.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The guys confident in his abilities and so he should be. Speak to Ricky Burns coming to the end of his training camp and I can promise you if you asked him if he could compete with the Pacquiao's, Mayweathers and Marquez's of the world he would tell you absolutely. * right now he publicly seems keen to fight Broner when most of the boxing world see it as a bit of a mismatch.

For me, Khan is held to a completely different standard from just about any other boxer I can think off in terms of cockiness. But that's a different matter entirely.

He doesn't get knocked out by every decent fighter he faces. Most would agree that the 3 best fighters he's faced (ignoring Barrera because of age/weight disparity) would be Kotelnik, Garcia and Maidana. You seem to be comparing Hatton and Khan to Marquez, Pacquiao and Mayweather. However not being on the level of those 3 doesn't mean a fighter isn't world class. Those 3 will likely go down as all time great fighters. The best of a generation . It would be like saying unless a forward is on the level of Messi, Henry or Ronaldinho he isn't world class.

Anyway, good to see Khan back in action at the weekend. He looked like his inside game had improved (it probably couldn't have got much worse to be fair) but as expected the opponent was woefully outmatched.

As far as Mayweather/Pacquiao goes. I believe Pacquiao would have beaten him at welterweight. I don’t like to use the word scared when it comes to fighters. But Floyd was bothered by Manny’s style so much so he didn't feel comfortable fighting him. That’s it in a nutshell. You can use whatever words you want, but that’s it for me.

Some people don't think it would have been difficult for Mayweather. Maybe they're right. But Team Mayweather wouldn't agree with you...The man who developed Floyd wouldn't agree with you...In fact there's videos all over the place where Mayweather Sr. is telling you he doesn't want his son to fight Pacquiao. Basically telling you that he's afraid for his sons safety and he doesn't think he can win.

Floyd never really liked fighting southpaws imo. For me it's because of the 'angle'. He has to be more aggressive when he fights southpaws and he’s squared up. Most defensive teachers will tell you it’s a no no to be squared up. But Floyd sacrifices his defense to be squared up so he can sneak his right hand closer to the target. The big problem in a Pacquiao fight would've been, you can’t let Manny hit on you and if you’re squared up it will be easier for him to do that. The damage he has done to fighters has hospital warning all over it. In my opinion that’s why Big Floyd didn't like the fight for his son.

The testing was the distraction. That was the throw off. When the testing wasn't an issue (it's been agreed upon for years now), money become the issue. Then he kept moving the goalposts. It’s shocking to me that people didn't see this. This was a straight up con job man. I find it insulting to Floyd’s fans that they have stuck by him. Some won’t admit it openly but I know they have to be saying dam, we repeated your argument everytime and then you kept changing on us.

Last thing, since Mayweather fans are so hung up on stats and undefeated records. Ask Floyd who his toughest career fights were against...Emanuel Augustus ,Luis Castillo and Zab Judah. None of them were undefeated. Judah is a fast hard punching southpaw, Augustus is a hard man, very busy and punches from unconventional angles and Castillo is a dog who pressures you ALL night. Did you ever stop to think Manny a couple of years ago possessed all of those traits?

Ultimately, when both fighters are retired Pacquiao WILL be ranked ahead of Mayweather in the all-time-great lists. Despite Mayweathers outstanding talents, for some reason, he has simply avoided the challenges that MP has sought out. Fighters are ranked on what they did, not what they could've done, and Pacquiao has done much, much more. :50:

15. Armagh-Bhoy

I would personally rate Mayweather ahead of Pacman, Mayweather is the best defencive boxer i have ever seen, rarley do you even get a chance to get any sort of shot against him.
    I still think he would have beaten Pacman a couple of years ago, and it was also not 1 way sailing, both of them are equally to blame for the fight not happening beacuse both where that afraid of losing.

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I completely respect your opinion mate, but Pacquiao will be remembered as the greater fighter and it won't even be particularly close. Fighter of the Decade, first ever eight division world champion and first fighter to win lineal titles in four weight divisions. A record with names like Barrera, Marquez, Morales, De la Hoya and Hatton (considered a heavy underdog going into both fights), Cotto and Margarito - a man with a stoppage win over the current middleweight world champion. Mayweather could be as skilled as Sugar Ray Robinson, it wouldn't matter. In boxing it's what you've done that matters, not what you may or may not be able to do.

As far as that bout goes, Floyd was clearly at fault for this fight never happening. If not Floyd who do we blame for his actions? He’s a man in his 30’s. To make some of the comments he has made about Manny are just off the wall. The racial rants, the money talk, the PED accusations etc.

Some of the excuses that Floyd’s fans have made over the years were absolutely ridiculous. Some said after Floyd retired again after the Mosley fight, that Floyd would fight Manny the following year because he didn’t want to pay taxes twice in one calendar. That year came and went. Some said Floyd was letting the fight build. What! Since when does it take 3 years to build a fight between two guys who are number 1 and 2 in the world, in their 30’s and are already PPV stars.

The drug testing etc has long since been agreed upon, but then came Floyd's demands for a higher percentage of the purse. An even split was offered with 5% extra going to the winner and that was rejected by the Mayweather camp. Then we have Mayweather retiring etc. and the dates coinciding with Floyd's period.

For Pacquiao's part he too could've done more, I'm not convinced his promoter Bob Arum was ever keen on the fight and Pacquiao could've put more pressure on him to make it happen. But ultimately, I don't believe it was ever going to while Pac was at his best. Take a look on Youtube and you'll see plenty of videos of Mayweather Sr stating that he would be scared for his sons health if he fought Pacquiao, even the video i posted earlier in this thread has Floyd boasting about being a "rich coward" :rolleyes:. One man wanted it, he's demonstated a willingness to fight against the odds plenty of times. One man didn't, he's cherry-picked opponents since his bout with De la Hoya in 2007.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    burns has a unification fight with vasquez on march 16

18. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley

Both, in general, very good posts :50:

19. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    That the Wembley night? Some good fights scheduled.

Edit: Went and found the schedule from Frank Warren Promotions' Facebook page...

LIVE from Wembley Arena on March 16th:

Burns v Vazquez - IBF and WBO World Lightweight titles

Cleverly v Krasniqi - WBO World Light-Heavyweight title

Groves v Ndiaye - European Super-Middleweight title

Chisora v TBA

Walsh v McGuiness - Commonwealth Super-Featherweight title

Dawson v Conquest - WBO International Cruiserweight title

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Glad someone read them :smiley-laughing002:

The Burns card is shaping up very well. Think he'll have his work cut out but will come away with the win.

A Kessler vs Froch rematch has been arranged for May this year. The first fight was an all out war, no doubt in my mind these guys will live up to expectations and deliver the same again. :50: