1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Mar 2, 2016.

Discuss The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Couldnt think of anything worse to watch on tv :56:

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Sevco away to St Mirren :icon_mrgreen:

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Quality of debate tonight was pretty awful. Not enthusiastic about voting for anyone tbh.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It beat the footy, for once.

It was rather poor to be honest.

Ukip arent to be taken serious.
    Greens are too, green.
    Tories just won't ever get a win here and she talks like someone who is just a branch manager of a bigger company. No sole, no vote.
    Lib dems lost all credit, and as well spoken as he wants to be, no one is gonna believe him and knows he is a puppet like the others.
    Kezia actually looks dumber by the day and is a baw hair away from turning her entire campaign in to a "we arent the snp" effort.
    Nicola is the same as the indyref, decent points but gets caught up in having to defend against a barrage of attacks from the UK parties and resorts to their tactics.

Inevitably they all shout over each other and the public get no benefit from listening to them.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Also didn't see the Scottish election thread, if a mod could just merge this, thatd be great!

6. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agree with all this. No-one impresses me.

Even Sturgeon, who is a good political operator, she grates on me in these debates.

7. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I like Harvie. He always seems quite composed and he never spoke over anyone tonight.
    Was thinking of voting Green the last time but i didn't have a candidate here to vote for. Maybe this time...

8. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He comes across quite well but his politics are too airy fairy for me..

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wouldnt trust the greens to be ruthless enough at the top of politics.
    Though harvie ia good and a lot of what greens stand for is good, its just not enough to build a government on.

All said, the yes campaign should have used him to front it instead of sturgeon. Would have helped get the points across and helped prevent the "vote yes is a vote for snp" crap.

Which, funnily enough, had we voted yes, chances are we would be lookin to vote in perhaps the lib dems (example) this election. But instead, we are gonna most likely vote in snp again.

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not gonna bother catching up on it, just read through some live updates from the debate online instead Much easier to catch what they're getting at that way :50:

11. wulliebad

What london propaganda machine was it...?

12. wulliebad

snp 1 and 2....anything else gets us no where.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How is David Coburn an MEP.

Jesus * :52:

14. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He's a walking parody of himself.

Davidson really grates on me though she's clearly articulate and a cut above that moron Dugdale.

I really like Harvie, definitely came across as the pick of the bunch.

15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Davidson is a 'good' politician and will/would make a good leader of the opposition compared to whatever halfwit labour have.
    There was a programme on the radio about Davidson and her childhood/growing up what she has went through is pretty inspiring actually and for that alone she gets my respect, although not my vote/s :smiley-laughing002:

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :97:

17. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He made a great comment tho " Good Night "

18. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    pity he wasnt SNP and bringing his ideals to the party. Talks well and talks sense, i want to see his party do well. I think they could work well with SNP .

19. Dáibhí

Ruth Davidson ensuring that her party get some flack for a few weeks by the looks of it.

I have to say though, I agree with her to a point. When something is continually portrayed as "free" I think the actual value of it is lost.

Truth is, a degree from University is worth * all these days. Plenty of * have them, and they don't have the prestige that they had maybe 20 odd years ago. I know I'm in the minority though.

20. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    Scottish education needs a rapid overhaul, I will probably vote for whoever has the best education policy. The problem with Scotland is it's too conservative, it resists reform and change at every turn on every policy. Education reform? No. How about welfare reform? No! Economic reform? An emphatic no! Quite something really. Scotland loves to think it is a liberal country, but they cannot even come round to simple reforms. Reform is the heart of liberalism, going forward making changes for the benefit of society. In some act of cognitive dissonance Scotland rejects reform and liberalism.

Ruth Davidson is right, free education does not lead to equality. Equality should always be our goal, create a better education, more people in education and increase social mobility. Scottish children get poorer results and less people into university from poorer backgrounds than they do down south. One reason is money, an English student will have preference over a Scottish student with the same grades because they pay tuition fees. Another reason is structure of the education system, it's too centralized and hasn't changed in 50 years. We still have massive state schools like Holyrood and St Andrews that chew up and spit out kids. Pupils rarely get the skills required for work and university. Basic skills such as literacy are appalling.

Academic achievement is just as bad. When you compare Scotland with South Korea you find we are miles behind in standards. To demonstrate how far behind we are you can do a quick comparison. The education gap between South Korea and Scotland is the same as the education gap between Turkey and Scotland. Not good enough. North Korea should not be that far ahead of Scotland.

We need more independent schools, challenge the state monopoly and show them that we can do better. Monopoly always leads to a fall in standards, education needs more privatization, diversification and competition. I knew many intellectual guys and girls from Cranhill and Toryglen, naturally gifted. The system failed these people. Most of them ended up in jail or dead, terribly sad. Should you be a conscientious parent you are a hostage to fortune. Say you live in Carntyne, you will have to send your child to St Andrews or Smithycroft. Not the best. You are guaranteed a * education. I am sure the teachers are fine but the system cripples progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016