1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Correct. Yer man Slaw loves a wee bit of condescending sarcasm so just obliging him :50:

Slaw and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    People on here slating our current players who have been excellent so far this season and specifically the last 4 games. Aye but Turnbull is average, O’Riley has poor fitness levels and Mooy is *. Are you watching the same football? Ange must be a tube for preserving with these players.
    :56:

bhoy81, Moore, craigtheceltic and 4 others like this.
  3. EddieBhoy1986

Nobody has said Mooy is *, he is far from it, he just isn't close to fully fit yet. Nobody said Turnbull was average, just that he is far less skilled than Rogic. Given how ridiculously skilled Rogic is a player can be far less talented than him and still be fantastic. O'Riley looking like a burst couch after 60 mins and often being subbed around that mark, isn't a criticism of his fitness level it's showing that his fitness level is on a par with Tom's. All of which was said in reply to a (imo ridiculous) comment that Tom wouldn't make our first team this season. A comment which actually does insult Tom but is apparently fine to make. Go figure.

It would help if you didn't take comments out of context.

4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Haha good point. Mooy offers something else though as a deeper controller type. I think for attacking players Ange wanted something more mobile or at least youthful like Turnbull and O’Riley. With those 2 there wasn’t really space for Rogic. Just my take on it.

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Of the big man had had another stop start season with only short glimpses of form, I'd agree. But he was immense last year. I've no doubt Ange would have loved to keep him around but he did explicitly say Tam and Bitton had both decided it was their time, and he respected their wishes. Take your point about the evolution of the team though.

Slaw and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  6. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    No way tam left to pursue a club like West Brom, either he didn’t get the offers he thought he would or he wasn’t in Ange’s long term plans. Either way I hope he thrives there and gets promotion, not sure he’ll fit a Steve Bruce side but

7. leeso-ardoyne

Some Celtic supporters are of there heads. If we win the European cup some would find faults somewhere in it hahaha

packybhoy likes this.
  8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

My take is that he probably wanted away the end of the last Lenny season and struck a gentleman's agreement to stay a further year then get released on a free. The downside to that is that it does tend to make you look surplus to requirements when your old club just let you go for nothing. He deserves better than WBA, seems a bit mad not a single EPL would want to take a punt on him just for the wages.

9. EddieBhoy1986

The likes of Ajeti, Julian, Barkas, McCarthy, Johnstone kept around on our books or sold on but not Bitton or Rogic? It doesn't make sense and to my mind that isn't likely to have happened. Of the players who left us the only two who would still have a place in our match day squad on merrit are Nir and Tom, the two just released into the ether? Nah both could still play for us today and do as good a job as the players who replaced them.

We know he took time out during the summer for personal reasons because that was what was cited when he pulled himself from the Socceroos squad for those important WC qualifiers.

An Oz journalist confirmed on twitter he has asked A League clubs the question of whether they intended to approach Tom and was told they already had and been knocked back. So offers did come his way, if that journalist hadn't enquired we wouldn't know about them. Unless a UK journalist approach clubs here and made enquires I'm not sure how we would known what offers had been made.

The third option that to my mind is the most likely is that whatever those personal reasons where that required him to need time out from football in the summer meant that when offers were most likely comming through for him he wasn't in a place to entertain them for whatever reason.

Either way any Celtic fan who thinks going from the SPFL to the EFL is taking a step down in terms of the league needs to stop kidding themselves. West Brom are a club a good bit smaller than Celtic but they play in a better league. It might not be a league that's good enough for Tom's talents but neither is our own and he stayed loyal to us for 10 years despite that. So why would playing in the EFL at 29 feel like a bad move to him if it was what was available at the time he was ready to get back to work? He didn't think our league beneath him he certainly won't think the EFL beneath him. Fighting for promotion into the EPL is a good goal to drive him on any road. Better motivation than going to a bottom/mid EPL team and fighting not to get demoted or just faffing about winning nothing for a full season. Playing in a mid table team, no danger of demotion, no hope of winning anything, sounds soul destroying for a winner like Tom. At least he has somehting positive to drive him on at West Brom.

Couscous likes this.
  10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd have loved for Tam to have stayed but he wanted to go and he's given us 10 glorious filled years of service and joy, but think it was good the way he went.

Will always be one of my fav players to have pulled on the hoops.

Good luck at Brom.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  11. Rogicisgod

* West brom in the a hole Tom.

But in all seriousness if it makes you happy then that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. EddieBhoy1986

Confirmed for WBA this afternoon. Made up I still get to watch him play, I had convinced myself he had thrown in the towel.

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  14. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Best of luck to him.

15. Lewis Kerr

Imagine picking Rogic up on a free after the transfer window closes. I'd be buzzing

RabS likes this.
  16. EddieBhoy1986

Confirmed in his interview that he took time out from the game to "reflect" and wasn't in a hurry to find a new club. Also reaffirmed that it was his decision to leave Celtic because he needed a change of scenery to motivate him. Sounds like he just needed a long (well earned) break to get himself back in a good head space. Hopefully he kicks on now and tears up the Championship like we know he can.

17. JamesM09

Yeah I was just going to say it sounds like he needed an extended break.

To be fair with our schedule over the last 10 years that’s not surprising, even taking the covid break into consideration.

18. EddieBhoy1986

Especially when you consider all the mid season long haul travelling back and forth he also has to do for the Socceroos.

19. FairDinkumMate

46 game Championship no walk in the park either. Good news for national team and WC I hope

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. oh bhoy

West * brom :43: