1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Take the knee

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by The Prof, Feb 7, 2021.

Discuss Take the knee in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Nope, neither.

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think it was a well meant gesture at the time but has now lost much of it's impact. The thing that gets on my nerves is that the deserved outcry and fight against racism was taken onboard by practically everyone yet sectarianism is ignored, especially in Scotland. Our players, manager, and fans have been physically and verbally abused for years yet nothing is done about it. There's ample evidence of Scott Sinclair being racially abused at ipox as well as our players and manager being given sectarian/racist abuse in stadiums across the country. All completely wrong and belonging in the dark ages

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The players have every right not to go down on one knee if they choose to, but others also have the right to criticise them for making that choice. From what I can see, those who didn't take the knee bowed their head and they were taking part in a minute's silence against racism. If anyone had disrupted the silence then there would be a reason to be annoyed, but that didn't happen. To call taking the knee 'virtue signalling nonsense' is extremely crass and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the wider issue, especially given the frequency and prevalence of racism in our society. The big downside to this is they've shifted the focus of conversation away from the win on to this topic; although I see the head coach of the Scottish team says the players weren't instructed one way or the other and they left it to personal choice.

4. TheHappyLoss

I wasn’t sure how to put my opinion but you did it for me. Summed up perfectly.

5. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Why does an appalling racist crime that happen in another country have such an impact on other countries? Do you think if the murder had have happened in Nigeria, would all this be happening? No chance-it wouldn't even be reported.
    Just like poppy fascism, the act of "taking the knee" loses all impact when you are forced to do it in order to have a quiet life. People who don't wear a poppy get a hard time, people who don't take the knee get called racist. For this reason, I agree that it is virtue signalling nonsense.

Gully Sands and The Prof like this.
  6. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Because that same racism is rife throughout other countries all over the world.

I agree that it should be a personal choice. Personally I'd be taking it though. It's a simple show of solidarity.

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If sportsmen and women want to take the knee because they believe what it it is supposed to stand for then they should but if you dont believe then you shouldnt feel pressured into doing it.

The Prof likes this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If people want to do it then they should be free to but the faux hysteria when some choose not to is embarrassing frankly.

Although it is funny to see the difference in coverage/opinion against those choosing not to and McClean choosing not to wear a poppy/stand for GSTQ

Gully Sands and The Prof like this.
  9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Just be a Good Human Being,that is what i have always wanted............................................

10. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Would love to hear all the outraged comments from white commentators if a Black player refused to take the knee when all the White players do take the knee.

11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Kaepernick took the knee because in American football they stand for a national anthem that harps on about freedom which in reality is bullshit. His stance was a brave one and I think very important as it helped get discussion going. Taking the knee every match with every player takes away all the meaning. The first few times it was probably an important gesture but let's be honest it means * all. What are they kneeling down to? It is basically football's way of saying "look we are doing something" when the reality is they are doing nothing about it and they probably don't want to.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think there is a pressure created within the media and society in general, anyone who dares to go against the grain is picked upon.

Many are wary of expressing their true opinion on certain matters, for fear of the mock outrage brigade jumping on them.

Tokenism is easy and all forms of media are propaganda in one form or another, we saw many marching during the BLM protests pretending to care about the death of a black man in the USA, police brutality claims the lives of people every day in countries all over the World but there isn't the same reaction.

I agree it should be down to personal choice, i think a lot just jumped on the bandwagon because they thought it was the popular thing to do, that horrible * piers morgan is a prime example, trying to make himself a moral crusader when really all he cares about is making himself look good and bigging up his own ego.

Westlondonscot and Chieftain like this.
  13. Lennon1888

As useless as people clapping and changing their FB profiles to the french flag at terrorist attacks.

14. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

And that's what it all boils down to.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    How many black people hold positions of power within football and how many black managers are there in top flight football ?

Football should be doing more to eradicate racism within the game, so much more could and should be done, actions always speak louder than token gestures.

It's easy for sport to pay lip service, but the reality is that very little really changes unless more is done at all levels of sport.

16. Buster

Someone should tell our defence to stop taking the knee at set pieces

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Got mixed feelings on the matter, to be honest.

Do I believe it's making any impact on tackling racism in sport? No. I actually think it's got to the stage where it's having an adverse affect, in a way. Quite a lot of people, as can be seen in here, are now saying "this is getting ridiculous now, we don't need it before every single game". And I can totally understand that opinion.

It's been going on for months now. And what impact has it had? A * of a lot more than simply taking the knee needs done to try to root out racism.

However, it's not a good look when you see the majority of a team refusing to take the knee. It takes a few seconds. Just do it.

The Prof likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s 2 issues created with the rugby yesterday.

I personally think ‘taking the knee’ has had its impact and it’s time for it to stop in general. But then I’ve never been systematically racially abused so maybe I’m not best placed to have that opinion. * knows.

However, refusing to take it is a different story. There’s a question to be answered by the rugby lot and that should be coming from Sturgeon, she would absolutely publicly destroy footballers if they did the same. No question about it. The double standards are horrendous.

As a side note, I’m still confused as to why they refused? Is it a private school middle/upper class arrogance or do they think it’s not their place to do it? No one seems to be able to answer that.

The Prof likes this.
  19. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    from what I’ve seen, there were about 4 things before the game, including for those that lost their lives to covid, to the frontline workers, to former rugby players that passed away and also to stand up against racism but there was apparently no directive that they would be taking a knee. That’s would explain why there was a lot of looking about and some did/some didn’t. So nothing to do with “middle class” or “private school”.

End of the day it’s individual choice regardless. If they chose not to, or show their support by bowing a head or whatever, that’s totally down to the individual. Same as those that kneel. Personally I would, but wouldn’t say someone that didn’t was being disrespectful or were against it. I feel like this has been been turned into a bigger deal than it is.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Has that been confirmed or are you just making an assumption?