1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stigma about supporting the hoops

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TESLA, Jan 7, 2010.

Discuss Stigma about supporting the hoops in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    I'm just wondering do many people run into this prejudice that your a scummer just because you support celtic especialy in around Dublin and maybe across the water for the people living there. I'l admit Dublin and all over ireland is a hole for * who buy the jersey and probably think larssonn still plays for us and have never watched a match in their lives! sure that might spread some sort of bad name but i hate having to say when someone asks me who i support "celtic but im not a sham". I just hate misinformed * who think they're better and smarter than you because they hate Celtic becasue of this stigma like have a look at this fool on boards

The wearing of Celtic jerseys at Ireland games - boards.ie

Its just I know only a few true fans in my area and was wondering does anyone else run into this stuck up their own * attitude people have towards the club:38:

2. butch

there is nothing new there, when people have new shoes and something to eat they tend to over look were they came from, and if wearing a Celtic top offend them, without them even knowing that Celtic could have had helped in the feeding of there fore fathers in Glasgow paving the way for there very own existence

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I wear the Hoops with pride, regardless of others. I know what it means to me and what it represents. Thats all that matters to me.

4. tez mctic

in my experience working over there mate, ive found that a lot of support is for english teams. arsenal liverpool, man u etc i was feakin sick of seeing these jerseys. its a myth that the whole of southern ireland
    supports the celtic.your not a sham its whats in your heart:celt_2:

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  5. Mr Marty™

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady & Samaradonna.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    I wear the Hooped shirt with pride (not obsessively mind you but every other day and match days) sure there's some stigma attached to it same with most clubs around the world,however i know the history of the jersey and i can honestly say i have not one ounce of shame when adorning the hoops.

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  6. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I tell you one thing when i was in Dublin one of my crazy mates wore his Rangers top! The abuse he got was mental. I got a wee bit of stick for my hoops top but most people said we were their second team, and what the * was i doing with a Rangers fan!

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  7. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    yeah their going to say Celtic are their 2nd team but at best only watch champion league matches alot of people will be well wishers but not true fans! I remember seeing a lad on his way to work with a rangers tracksuit top on trust me thats not a common sight and your mate was playing a dangerous game most people might not be true fans but they know the story with a hun top haha

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  8. tez mctic

aye thats what i couldnt get my head around "second team" a reality check 20 years ago nothing changed
    how naive was i

9. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Yeah this 2nd team bussiness in my age group (17 or 18) 9/10 times is aloada *

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  10. Mr Marty™

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady & Samaradonna.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    OI!! son if your 9/10 then i must insist you dinny swear. :56:

11. butch

they don't allow, or the BBC and stv would not show Scottish games in any parts of Ireland the north included it was always the English games the got to see sky might have made the change and that is only the last 10 years but they still dont show any other team from scotland they only use sky3 at a push

12. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    i dont know if you were messin hopefully you were haha i meant 9 of 10 times! i wish i was that enlighted at the age of 9 :56:im 18 now

13. joeybhoyoz

Fav Celtic Player:
    skippy, aiden mcgeady
    im australian, live in dublin, am a season ticket holder and get over to as many matches as i can. most of my mates here that follow epl teams dont think im a scum bag cause i follow the hoops, they just look down at me because apparently we play in a * league, and at times are brutal to watch in there eyes.

The fact is, most of them hold a sky sports subcription as a season ticket and i remind them that i have seen there teams like man u more times than they have and that was when they were playing against us!

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  14. DanniGhirl

Exact same for me, except exchange Australian for Scottish and Dublin for Navan :icon_mrgreen:

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  15. joeybhoyoz

Fav Celtic Player:
    skippy, aiden mcgeady
    And to add to that, the most have not got a clue about any other team in any other league except for those that are shown on SUPER SUNDAY!

Some one told me once to watch a celtic game, then watch a epl game on sky between to middle league teams with the sound turned off ( so you dont have to hear the overhyped commentary) and youll find the epl of no better standard and sometimes very hard to watch!

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  16. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Well in my close group of mates i have 4 utd supporters,a chelsea fool and a pool supporter! I dont get looked down on just the usual slaggins of bein * out of Europe and all haha Trying to get one of the utd lads to come over with me and me da in feb to see dundee utd at home and see will he see the big deal i make about the hoops ha

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

18. CAVANBHOY

it has always been the same the amount of people who ask you who do you support in the epl and why do you only support Celtic and you try and explain its a way of life or its in your blood and they just dont get it. a lot of people wear the hoops over here but do not support them as their first team. i know in the two towns i have lived in their would be only a handful of people who only support celtic or who celtic is their first choice, even though plenty of people from kells go to matches with me and support the tic the majority would have a English team as well

19. tez mctic

correct sums up my observations
    for 20 years or more there are more celtic
    supporters in australia than there is in
    ireland

20. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    and an absolute crying shame it is:54: