1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    5’10”

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If anyone should know, it’s you.

Callum McGregor, HTG, Keano88 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He gets a very rough time. Great squad player to have and has the capability to get better. Very clear that Ange has a soft spot for him too just like he appears to have for Taylor and Ralston

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

4. EddieBhoy1986

He's shorter than Matt O'Riley who is around 6.1.

Don't see him being a starter anytime soon outwith covering for Starfelt or CCV. But always good to have young scottish talent in the squad. Probably would be good for his development to go on loan and get first team football against quality opposition. Whether we can afford to let a Scottish CB go atm is another matter.

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    6' according to the official celtic stats, unless that is another mistake or they are lying about his height as well for some slightly odd reason.

What benefit people think they would gain for posting inaccurate information about something as trivial as player heights eludes me, unless they genuinely think opposition teams actually use the official celtic team page to plan how they play us, which is just daft in my opinion.

It's not even like accurate height information isn't known and they are just taking a rough guess at it, their height will be measured during medicals and it's not going to be something that's treated as confidential. Lots of people slouch and don't always stand at their full height, I had a friend that looked about 5'10, or 5'11 but was actually 6'2" when he could be arsed to straighten up properly.

I just find it kind of baffling that people think the official stats are wrong but some pictures where players are leaning into each other or stooping are a better indicator. Looking at them on the park during games Welsh comfortably looked our tallest defender to me before Jullien started getting game time during pre season, so I'm willing to accept the stats at face value.

AussieGreek and martin_d like this.
  6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Wheres the official Celtic stats though. On the Celtic website it says he's 6'3 which he's clearly not. https://www.celticfc.com/players/stephen-welsh

I'd guess he was about 5'11 based on CCV is about 6ft and Starfelt is probably 6'1 and he's slightly smaller than both and not much bigger than Ralston who is probably about 5'10.

7. Dip 'n' Swerve

how was welsh compared to liam morrison who will not get any game time at munich, could he ever be welcomed back to celtic?
    i look at the upcoming CL teams in each pot - unless we can play compact and be quick across the ground with a midfield enforcer we will face a struggle to even finish third. Hopefully we pull of a few shocks.

In that famous 2-1 win, it was our midfield enforcer wanyama who set the game up with a 1-0 attacking header from a corner in the 20th min (which afe ambrose won!) which set up our stall for the famous win. i would love a player of this ilk before the season properly commences to add some steel, physical strength and can protect and at time slip into the back four when the likes of jenz etc go on forward runs.

CCV and Starfelt will more than likely play in CL games, but we need cover esp for games before and after CL nights - I think Jullien and Welsh arent the answer, Jenz is still unproven and will he start this weekend, is jenz option to buy? He seems good on both feet and his first pass is forward which ange likes.

I think in terms of what welsh, jullien and possibly jenz need to add is making quick decisions with crosses, corners and balls into the box - no time for ball watching in the league and in the CL your decision making needs to be even quicker to be proactive and not reactive - block in, nose in the way - anything to stop conceding silly unnecessary goals.

8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I always think he looks at least the same height as CCV, if not v slightly taller. He’s quite clearly 6ft for me: only an inch and a half or so taller than Ralston; only an inch or so shorter than Starfelt.

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Perception is such an odd thing as I'd say he was definitely taller than Starfelt and has always looked a good bit bigger than CCV. That's based on them during matches when they are close together, not on photos.

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Who honestly gives a * about his height. Honestly man. He’s looked better than CCV this pre season. Has he looked incredible? No. Does he need to be? No.

He’s a back up and is happy to be here. He counts as a homegrown player. He’s about the only homegrown player I’d trust in the team, McGregor/Ralston aside.

stew37, martin_d, Dan Breen and 7 others like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Happy with that

Dannybhoy81 and Mince.Charming like this.
  13. stew37

I'm glad we're keeping him, and that Ange obviously sees his worth.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  14. TheHappyLoss

He’s no Baresi but he’s decent back up.

stew37 likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

If they had paid the £3.5m up front, I’d have been more than happy with that tbh

16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'd have taken that tbh, feel like we could get a better defender for that money.

17. stew37

Feel like maybe I just don't see all the mistakes and goals against he causes for us according to a lot of folk on here. I think he's done really well to be honest. There's not many Baresi's around!

18. Lewis Kerr

He's been our best centre back in pre-season, he also started last season a lot better than Starfelt until Ange gave him time to form his partnership with CCV.

Was he that good in his fleeting appearances in the second half of last season? No, but being out the team for most of the season doesn't help that.

There's a reason clubs from decent leagues are interested in him, he's a good defender and criminally underrated by a chunk of our support. I think in time he has the potential to develop into a fine centre back. He'll make mistakes here and there but so does every other defender we have.

Tommy25, stew37 and NomDePlum like this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Just one of many reasons Ange is much better than Padmill:fear:

Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  20. JamesM09

We’re brutal judges of our defenders.

Starfelt, Jullien, Boyata all absolutely slaughtered for the one or two times they had an average performance.

Liam Scales likes this.