1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    There is levels between but several things come into play
    A) how much do they cost to get in
    B) salary
    C) how many of these players want to be a bench warmer

We will be spending at least 4m, more if CCV stays, on a cb. We don't know how Jullien will come back, I think having someone who is pretrained to Ange's system for the start of the season is important. Especially if CCV doesn't stay.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We could easily find a CB for cheap even free who’s better than Welsh. And yes we could find better who’s be on a cheap salary and not kick up a fuss about being a sub. He’s not some sort of cheap talent we’re lucky to have…

I said it the other day but it’s at the stage we should even be investing some minutes into Murray.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Developing Welsh is good for our home grown quota for Europe. I think people forget about this sometimes.

craigtheceltic and Liam Scales like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Murray should be on loan for the next 18 months, come back to Celtic at 20 with 50/60 games in his legs and ready to start stepping in.

martin_d and PaddyJamieson like this.
  5. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    i like the bhoy, but he's the definition of a squad player. he'll be around for a while yet and no let us down, but not part of our strongest 11.

martin_d likes this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was one of our better players end of last season and did a turn early part of this season. Some really decent appearances and almost displaced a £4 million+ player.

Still young so bags of potential but needs game time so not sure if being a purely squad player makes any sense from his perspective.

martin_d likes this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Or should just be getting minutes at us to develop. He’s ready to step in.

8. PaddyJamieson

Agreed. Not quite there imo and the benefit of a full season of pro football would be huge. Just look at Ajer and Hjelde, that's the model we should be continuing now.

martin_d likes this.
  9. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

If I'm honest, I do doubt he'll ever become a first choice, but potential is unknown so what do I know!

I would love to see him go to a Hibs or Aberdeen for a year to get enough games and develop. If we have Starfelt, CCV and Jullien next year it's only going to hold him back.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    About 5 games or so at us, probably not full time minutes won’t happen at this stage in the season. He needs full seasons in him, don’t make him bit part. We could possibly have him out until he’s about 21, and come back with a lot of football under his belt. Don’t think it’s feasible to get him 100+ games here in that time.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Loaning him out when our backup options are Welsh and a crippled Jullien makes absolutely no sense to me.

If we’re serious about developing players then we need to actually do it and give them chances.

Dropping Doak out the squad as soon as older players were back even though they’ve done nothing all season shows we’re not that serious about it yet.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We’re more serious about winning things. It’ll be the first team and those showing better in training that gets the chance, not just getting on the pitch because they’re young and need developed. Which is why you want him loaned out. Ideally you want that level of games in him before 21.

If we were serious about developing players like him, the obvious one to drop would be Carter-Vickers. Who isn’t our player, we are currently developing him for other teams. And if we done that I’d be seething.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We’ve always been serious about winning stuff. The idea that we’re somehow more serious now about winning stuff is just another awful excuse for our brutal record at developing academy players.

There’s a reason basically every top manager and club don’t loan out their top youngsters and get them into the first team as early as possible and give them as many minutes as possible.

Being serious about youth development has absolutely nothing to do with not playing a player on loan from another club. Bizarre comment in all honesty.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    How is it bizarre? Are we developing players that aren’t ours at the moment, rather than our own youth players?

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because it’s not an either or.

Really don’t get why you seem to think it is to be honest. Plenty of clubs develop youth players and loan players.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loans for me are short term to win. We don’t usually use the youth players instead because inconsistency comes along with the youth. We’ve tended to do the short term gain over the last few years to try and keep up the standards, Karamoko not playing and Elyounoussi is, Jonjoe Kenny and not Ralston… I think the gaps in the squad would be plugged with youth players if that was what we wanted to focus on the most.

I can remember Van Der Saar talking about Ajax’s cycle with youth players getting developed and coming together and then moving onto the next phase of youth, it comes with a dip in consistency while they’re learning.

I like a wee balance between both what we do just now and that. But we should definitely utilise the loan systems better. Worked for Calmac majorly, worked brilliantly for Ajer…. i don’t think we do it enough abd a load of good players over the years have stagnated because of it.

Foley1888 likes this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We could use the loan system better, but we also could give young players more of an opportunity here. I agree about the Doak situation.

Couple of (brief) impressive showings and gets dropped as soon as Forrest comes back, despite Forrest being abysmal all season.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Forrest was back when he was getting a chance was he not? He was on the left and Jota and Doak were both on the bench at one point were they not?

Forrest has been nowhere near his level, but Ange has praised him in training a good few times this season. I don’t think Ange plays him out of sentiment, it’s to get him to a level he knows he can play at.

Think he was good tonight when he came on, he’s slowly getting there. We need to have patience as a support sometimes, when it’s not immediate we instantly right people off, including Ange at one point this season.

And Carl Starfelt, who you’ve been pointing out all season has the ability and needed time to settle.

19. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Just saw an interview with Greg Taylor saying that Welsh has the Lisbon Lions as the screensaver on his phone :)

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was on Celtic tv at half time..

He said Welsh was the biggest Celtic fan in the squad..

Thought he would've went for Callum, shooders or his self :fear: