1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. davidhannah

He's decent. He's making good runs celtic were good to watch today. I like that 4-4-2 diamond chasing down every ball. Good to watch. I thought Welsh played with confidence next to Ajer. And Welsh himself was confident running into space. Big future.

In fact. We need to play the future. Ewan Henderson. O'Connell. They were decent against the French side. And have been outcast since. We're 20 behind. Everything to gain.

The_Bhoy and NomDePlum like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

4. celtic warrior

Should not be dropped.

Even if he has one leg and needs a wheelchair, goes blind and actually. Is a corpse and pumped with embalming fluid..... He's still going to be more agile and useful than Duffy.

The_Bhoy, Wee Baldy and TheHappyLoss like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THERE are those among the more seasoned professionals at any club whose nose would be out of joint at a young upstart taking their place in the starting XI, but for all that Shane Duffy’s pride may be bruised right now at Celtic, his treatment of Stephen Welsh has been exemplary.

Welsh was brought straight back into the Celtic line-up at Duffy’s expense in Wednesday night’s win over Aberdeen, having sat out the weekend game against St Johnstone through injury.

Far from throwing a tantrum about being displaced by the 21-year-old though, Duffy has in fact continued to try and mentor his younger teammate, even though he himself is going through such a tough time in his own career. An approach that Welsh believes says volumes about his character.

“Shane Duffy is one of the more-experienced players in the team,” Welsh said.

“He’s an international player who has played at the highest level and every day he is chatting away about what you can do better and what you are good at. He’s helped me a lot.

“I wouldn’t say we are direct rivals [for a place in the team]. There’s competition in every position, especially at a team like this. Everyone is fighting for their position, so it doesn’t matter who plays every week.

“Shane being an experienced player and me being a younger player, he does his best to help.

“His character is unbelievable. I think every player goes through a difficult spell and everyone has had it at this club and at different clubs, he’s got the character to come through the other end. There’s no doubt about that.

“That was a big confidence boost [to be restored to the side] after missing a game through injury. The boys won and played well against St Johnstone.

“That’s a few clean sheets now and five wins on the bounce is massive.”

Welsh was hugely impressive along with centre-back partner Kristoffer Ajer as the pair repelled a late aerial bombardment against Aberdeen in midweek, and he says that following the example of Ajer in building up his physicality has helped him be ready for the challenges presented by the Scottish Premiership.

“Kris is a fantastic player – a great defender and good on the ball,” he said.

“With his speed, that gives you a bit more confidence if you make a mistake. He’s in behind to help you. He’s a great defender for us.

“As well as being a footballer, you need to be strong, especially in the Scottish league. Some of the strikers you come up against could be bigger or taller than you, so you need to put in the work in the gym.

“I have done that the past few months which has helped a lot. It’s very physical every game, especially the other night against Aberdeen. That was a very physical game.

“The upper body stuff helps a lot and, hopefully, it helps when we face other physical teams in the league because everyone has big players. Centre-halves coming up for corners as well.”

Ross County certainly have such physical players in their attacking arsenal, and Welsh is ready for the battle when Celtic travel to Dingwall tomorrow night.

If he and his fellow defenders keep up their end of the bargain at one end, he is certain that the attacking players in the Celtic side will certainly do so at the other.

“You take every game as it comes and every team has their strengths,” he said.

“We need to be to the best of our ability, especially going up there as we know it is going to be a tough game.

“We need to play the way we have been playing and, hopefully, keep another clean sheet because we have boys who will score us goals.”

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Got roasted with a dummy early on but can't remember anything after that he did wrong..

Played well above what I thought he was capable of..

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was solid today.

martin_d likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Not quick, not good in the air, not that physical, passing is limited..

Reads the game well...

9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Tbh, mate, out of all the traits you’ve listed, this is the one we’ve missed most in our CBs of late, imo.

Even if he’s only going to be a slightly slower CB who sits back, reads the game and sweeps up, etc - playing beside a Jullien type (who by contrast, will come out to make an early tackle, with pace to get back when needed, wins the majority of balls in the air, etc) - then I’m ok with that.

Could do with bulking up, but I’d prioritise playing him, as football intelligence is a precious commodity and far harder to add to someone’s game than muscle.

10. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    He will do till the end of the season, and he will be decent backup next year, but we absolutely cannot be going into the European qualifiers with him as a first teamer. However, I'm not optimistic...

TonyTim likes this.
  11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed on both counts. Given the quantity of games we play we need at least 4 "senior" centre backs with maybe a fifth coming from the academy. I would be fine with Welsh being number 3 or 4 centre back next season but I have not seen anything from him to suggest he is good enough to be part of the mainstay starting centre back duo next season.

seanm likes this.
  12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Possible the only aspect of the side that I am content with right now, Ajer and Walsh. A total shambles every where else.

13. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with that. He hasn't really faced a top striker yet or one that is in your face. I think He would even struggle against More or less. But better coaching and playing with a top CB will improve his game, for as good as he has been Ajer is not a CB.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Deserves praise for how he's came in and done more than a job after his baptism of fire against the Huns and Milan, where he was left out for age's after. He's pleasantly surprised me..

There's no way he'll be a first choice centre half next season though and rightly so..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    He's an ok player who still has a lot to learn and there's no doubt that he's only in the team just now because Duffy is a nightmare and Julien is injured. He's also not the tallest and needs to bulk out a bit however, his outings in the first team will give him good experience and, hopefully, a new manager will help him develop into the finished article.

NomDePlum likes this.
  16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    There’s that big a rebuild job needed next season he’s the least of our worries. Him being in the squad at all whether it be back up or what will be a help next season as it’s 1 less player to have to buy

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As long as the bhoy keeps learning and working hard, he'll go from strength to strength. Keep it up ma man.

Dan Breen, martin_d and The_Bhoy like this.
  18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    100% with you reading this. Being able to read the game is a massive thing for a centre half. That you can’t teach.

All the other stuff can be worked on but being able to read the game comes naturally and like you said it’s something we have been missing at the back for a long time.

martin_d likes this.
  19. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I like him, hope he starts the remainder of the games this season

20. Popes 11 Guest

Said some time back he's a rough diamond but needs a very good coach to get him tip top, he's got that in his locker.

The_Bhoy likes this.