1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Start preparing for next year now.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Aug 28, 2014.

Discuss Start preparing for next year now. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The league is a given and no one gives a * about the Europa League so IMO we should start preparing now for next year's qualifiers.

League: I don't want Ronny to play our strongest team at the moment; I want him to play the team he thinks he'll go into the qualifiers with.

Europa League: as above. The EL will be vital European experience if we are to be good enough for the CL group stages. Look how Lenny used it so well.

Domestic Cups: play our strongest team for these games and only these games.

Thoughts?

2. Jhoker

Yeah sure, build experience for youngsters and such

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I give a * about the Europa League. A last eight appearance in the EL would give me more satisfaction than a poor group stage CL performance. I dont expect this but at the same time while it is still possible the season is not a right off.

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

"No one gives a * about the Europa League"

Speak for yourself. The fact that some fans can just dismiss this competition like we are above it is beyond belief. Too much exposure to the self proclaimed greatest league in the world down south is starting to rub off on our fans. Some people's arrogance knows no bounds. This isn't just the OP, this attitude is amongst our support that we are somehow superior to the EL.

Teams far better than us will be doing their best to win the Europa League. I hope everyone who says they don't give a * about it don't come on here moaning when we * in the group stages.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  5. Partickbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG/LET THE PEOPLE SING
    Ronny needs wins....quickly and back to back. Europa has some tasty sides kicking about so we will see defeats there absolutely with that squad. Once VVD leaves our backline looks very thin.

I get what your saying Gargamel. ....but honestly I dont think it really matters atm there are so many players under performing Ill take a winning run in the league. Give some of the youngsters a go aye
    ....but not at the expense of any league points thats our bread and butter.

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I think a lot of people give a * about the Europa League. I for one do. I can't wait tbh. Think it'll be a good run out for our new manager and a good platform for him to mold his team for next year.

I would want him to get his team ready for next year's champions league but I doubt he'll be given the funds now we aren't in the Champions League. Which is plain stupid.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Who doesn't care about it? EPL fan boys is all. At least this year we can't play barca lol

8. murphy88

If we are going to go into next year's qualifiers with a team consisting of the only the players we currently have, I fear the worst. Another thing, I don't see how he can look towards next year, when we have 4 guys on loan, who we have no idea whether or not they are still going to be with us next season. What happens if the likes of Berget, Tonev, Mubarak & Denayer all become first team regulars, then come the start of next season's qualifiers, we don't have any of them. Which could happen. We would then be missing almost half a starting X1 going into Champions League qualifiers. The odd loan signing I haven't a problem with, but a big chunk of our team this year could be made up of loan signings.

9. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think we all seen in Inverness what happened when we do not play our strongest team.

I hate it when people say that the league is a given. I saw the same arrogance on here when people were debating the clubs we could meet in the CL group stages before qualifying.

10. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    You dont build a team with loan signings. What happened to the policy of buying in cheap young talent? Now we are loaning players...

We need to off load 6-7 players, and bring in some new players.

11. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You don't build a team with buying young cheap talent and selling them within two years for a profit either. In this day and age, for a club like Celtic (playing in the league like we do without guaranteed CL), players are a very short term investment and it makes sense to borrower a certain amount of players.

12. murphy88

We haven't signed one outfield player on a permanent basis. How can we look towards next season when we have no idea how our squad is going to look?

13. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    But after Bosman, it is incredibly difficult to keep a player we signed if that player wants to get away.

And the players that want to stay (Samaras?) are apparently too expensive.

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What makes you think the league's a given.
    I don't unless the scumsucking board spend cash on new and BETTER players than we currently have.
    Losing to 2 * teams we should have hammered is a disgrace.
    We are lucky we are in the Group stages of Europa League.
    It means 6 matches before we are out of Europe.
    Although that won't make any difference as the manager won't receive the money from it.

15. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    :50:

16. ThisIsGhod

We need a huge squad clear out to put it simply.

17. murphy88

How many of our top player over the past few years have left the club after only one season? If we brought in players this year, the chances are, we would still have them next season. More often than not, the players we bring in, are given roughly 4 year deals, so after 1 year, we would not be under any great pressure to sell the player. Loan signings are not the way forward in my opinion, for nothing other than uncertainty that they are still going to be with us next season. Come the Qualifiers next year, we might need to replace 4 first team regulars, all because they were on loan.

18. Dopey63

Get real! We are in the Europa League and we should be looking forward to participating in it and attempting to gain some credibility again. Pathetic that people are looking down their noses at this competition, sure I am disappointed at not being in the CL but this is the situation that we are in and we just need to get on with it.

Rangers fans loving our present discontent and having a right laugh at us! Rangers laughing at us! Who would believe it!

19. Mr. Slippyfist

I care about the Europa League, and every other competition Celtic are involved in.

20. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That is a fair point. I think Wanyama left quickest (after two seasons), Hooper, Forster and Ledley stayed a few seasons.

Ok, let's say signing players is a medium term investment then (while borrowing players is short term), but I still believe it makes sense to borrower players. Forster, for example, was borrowed as well and a lot of signings we made turned out pish. There are quite a few players we signed that I wish left after a year.