1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 24, 2021.

Discuss Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I'd keep Soro, Turnbull, Hazard, Christie, Julien, Forrest, Edouard, McGregor and Griffiths, the rest can all get tae.

2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Speechless.

3. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Every one of them is available for the right price .
    The only 2 that have enhanced their reputation is Turnbull ,Sorro .

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Get rid, in that case.

5. jambo_cfc

Only issue i have with our midfield is lack of height , the issue we have is defensively we give away to many free kicks and corners for a team with such a small avergae height ! Also attacking we have edouard trying to beat 3 and 4 men upfront , ajeti and griffs fitness and klimala isnt celtic class

if our midfield is turnbull soro and mcgregor , we should be looking at two fullbacks in the lustig mould that are decent going forward but effectively can defend and are a good height !

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If only Ajer could play in a midfield position!

7. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Keep:
    GK: Barkas - we have spent 5 Million on him and we've seen in previous seasons for Athens that there is a good keeper in there, we just need a proper manager to bring it out and a settled defence in front of him, we cant jsut let 5 million go to waste.

Def: Jullien, Taylor (for backup), Welsh, Ajer - I dont think we will keep him but we should do everything we can to keep him.

Mid: Brown (he should be allowed to retire here as a club legend), Soro, Turnbull, Johnston, McGregor, Forrest, Henderson

FW: Ajeti, Klimala

Sell
    GK: Bain, Hazard
    Def: Elhamed, Ralston, Hendry, Gutman, Perez, Bolingoli
    Mid: Bitton, Christie, Rogic, Shved, Ntcham
    FW: Edouard, Griffiths, Bayo

either way we basically need to recruit an entire teams worth of players.
    we need a new GK for cover, we need at least 2 CB, 2 RB and a LB unless we want rid of Taylor then we need two of them as well. We also need a winger for each side and replacements for Christie and Rogic and probably 2 new strikers

thats at least 13 players we need so no way that is happening, Desmond wont be willing to spend that much, we're going to be stuck with whatever duds here want to stay :(

8. Goggzy60

Honestly looking at the squad and who stays, is so depressing. If we don’t get a manager who (good) players want too play for I don’t see us winning the title next year.

The defence is a mess only Julien, Bitton, Taylor, Welsh and O’Connor will be here. Obviously if we manage to keep Ajer it looks better.

Midfield looks not too bad with Soro, Turnbull, Connell and Robertson all likely too stay. Again keeping McGregor and Rogic will make us stronger here but I see McGregor going down south and Rogic going too somewhere in Asia, I think everyone can see Christie and Ntcham leave this summer as well.

Attackers (Forwards and Wingers)

The striker position is a definite unknown. I don’t believe we have seen the best from Ajetti yet. Klimala isn’t ready yet. If Griffiths can stay mentally well there’s a definite goal scorer there and would be our best striker. As for Wingers only Forrest, Johnston and potentially Shved look like staying.

Ohhh Goalkeepers well none are on short term contracts, I hope we sell Barkas and get rid off Bain as well neither are good enough. Hazard could be second choice and bring in a first choice Goalkeeper.

Whomever is manager next season has a massive rebuild on there hands, could be a good thing as they get too bring in the players too fit there tactics.

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    IF we get a new manager in then he will have a gigantean task of rebuilding a team. His priority will be to sort out our
    Dracula loving defence (can't deal with crosses) and bring in a new GK. So, I think we need a new GK, RB,LB,CB, and a big Sutton like forward. Hopefully whoever it is, can build the team around Turnbull, Sorro and also persuade Ajer and McGregor to stay

10. Goggzy60

I hope Ajer and McGregor stay too, see it being fundamental atleast 1 stays. Makes the rebuild atleast a little bit easier.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm not fussed about any staying tbh, but looking at it.

I'd keep

Barkas - needs more of a chance
    Taylor - only as backup
    Ajer - can't see it, and would really like him in midfield.
    Welsh
    Julien
    McGregor - although not sure if his heart is in it, only Rodgers for me brought him to a level.
    Brown - only as a stop gap in games.
    Forrest
    Johnston
    Rogic
    Turnbull
    Soro
    Ajeti

The rest I'd punt, there are a few young ones I would possibly hang onto.

Defo get a goalie, RB (x2), doig from. Hibs, 2 CBs (3 if Ajer leaves) - wouldn't mind Gallagher, can do a job in Scotland easily. Paddy Roberts, for me he'd still run riot up here, and maybe another quick winger. 2 strikers, physical one (Dykes would have been excellent choice for hold up play and layoffs to the likes of Rogic and Turnbull) and I'd gofor Nesbit of Hibs.

Losing players for decent money could possibly allow a couple of blue chip players mYbe in midfield and up front.

12. CountyDownFaithful

Anyone want to have a crack at which current players will still be in our starting 11 next season?

Personally I only think McGregor and Turnbull are good enough. Soro too but still need to see more of him (should be playing every game right now but he isn’t). Jullien good enough on his day but will miss the start of the season.

*Based on the likes of Ajer, Edouard etc being away.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    First team

McGregor
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Forrest

4 absolute guarantees

Ajer will likely be off but if we're to sell Edouard, Christie and a few other's then we may come to some sort of agreement with the big man where we keep him for another 6 month's....due to having no other first team centre halves..

So hopefully 5 all in..

Edit: Forgot about Jullien. Him as well..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Jullien
    Forrest
    McGregor
    Welsh
    Taylor (as backup)
    Bain (as backup)
    Johnstone (as backup)
    Griffiths (as backup)

15. CountyDownFaithful

Strikers is a huge area for concern as well.

£8.5 million outlay on Ajeti and Klimala in transfer fees. Neither look good enough.

Griffiths can’t be trusted and is getting older anyway.

Edouard off ski.

Need 2/3 strikers probably!

16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Some clear out needed.. when it's easier to name the players to keep than let go you know you're in trouble..

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    OK then name the players you want to keep.

18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    These are the players I believe we should keep:
    McGregor
    Ajer
    Edouard
    Turnbull
    Forrest
    Welsh
    Mickey Johnstone
    Jullien
    Soro
    Greg Taylor (fine as back up if another full back is signed)

and yes Im well aware Ajeti and Edouard will most likely be gone but if it was possible of course I would keep them. Johnstone, Soro and Welsh have done enough to stay and prove they can become regulars. If this is Browns last season I believe a replacement will be bought for him and therefore Soro will have a fight on his hands to hold down a regular place in the starting 11. As much as Lennon, Kennedy and Strachan get slagged there has got to be reason they seemed reluctant to start Soro, for me he still has a lot to prove.

I love Griffiths and along with James Forrest he is probably the most under-rated player in our squad, however he has let us down once too often. To come back at the start of the 10 in a row season unfit and overweight is unforgivable especially after Neil Lennon had supported him 100% through his struggles with depression, thats gratitude for you :(

There is a chance a new manager could get the best out of Rogic again as he is only 28 years old but he is just too unreliable. Brilliant player when he is fit and on form but unfortunately that is too seldom. I would reluctantly let him go.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Keep (in no particular order):

McGregor
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Welsh
    Barkas
    Ajeti
    Klimala
    Brown

Rest can get as far to * as possible.

20. moravcik1888