1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad rotation and its importance in our team.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Jan 8, 2022.

Discuss Squad rotation and its importance in our team. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Was very interested listening to Anges latest comments regarding the recovery list, and getting the bhoys from Japan in asap.

"Part of the reason that we wanted to get the three players in from Japan early was because it was evident we didn't have the strength in depth that we needed and the quality that we needed to rotate our team."

So my question is a simple one. Is squad rotation, on a regular basis, something you agree with?

I have a mate, liverpool fan, who has been dead set against it, since the tenure of Benitez, claiming his constant rotation cost them cups and league challenges.

I also mind the raft of criticism that guys like Wenger came in for, for swapping out squads for cup games; accused of disrespecting competitions.

For myself, its a MUST. The sheer volume of games we play, the intensity of our style and training et al, means we simply MUST have 2 options for each position, and they should be rotated on 2-1 basis, with the "understudy" always on the bench to be given minutes where possible/ optimal.

How about y'alls?

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yes I’m in favour of it. We play a lot of games which makes it necessary, it helps breed competition for places, and if we didn’t rotate then we’d see young prospects break into the team less regularly.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Clearly it is important for us to have a big squad with some rotation as we play more games then almost anyone in Europe. Plus every year we have months like December where we have an enormous load of games in a short period so the ability to rotate the squad especially during those periods is vital.

4. oh bhoy

when you are 3 or 4 nil up and that game is won thats the time to rotate and rest players.i would prefer a settled team that picks itself over constant choping and changing .obviously if somebody is tired to the point its effecting their performance they maybe need a rest ,the european hangover is a thing and a couple of changes may be needed to keep the intensity high but not wholesale.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't understand how anyone can be against it. We've seen hammy injuries galore this season. If every now and again our players got a 1 week break in games rather than 3 days maybe their bodies could heal better. Making 2 or 3 changes a game should still enable us to be stronger than our opposition

neilly1987 and Peej like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If done properly, it's a must.

If you're just going to switch out an entire match day squad (or bulk of a first 11) for a cup game every other month, then it's * pointless.

Rotation of players means you need a depth in the squad that meets a certain calibre.
    That calibre in depth, should be equal to (or close to with potential) that of your strongest 11.
    That doesn't mean we need two starting 11 sized teams, but enough players that on a game to game basis, players can take turns in being rotated out.

Let's take the front line as an example.

Our strongest, on paper (when all on form) is Jota, kyogo, Forrest.
    We need players who can rotate in to those positions on a regular basis without taking much (if any) ability levels away.

So, we need to rest kyogo, then maeda should be able to come in without seeing a drop in quality and a sudden panic that our front line is weak.
    Say Jota and kyogo need rested, then maeda and Abada can come in, where Forrest may go to the left. In theory that three should still pose enough threat to not see us drop any levels.
    But once the guys like Jota and kyogo are rested for a game, they then come back in.

They shouldn't (the rotation players) be sitting on the sidelines for 8 weeks before they get a game, due to injury. We play twice a week most weeks and these guys should be getting quality and active game time every week.

Not only does it help us from burning some of the guys out, but the development of players like Abada (or Welsh at the back) comes on massively, through active game time and participation in the squad.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I'm somewhere in between on a player by player basis and it is a must in the modern game. I think so far our spine of the team consists of Hart, CCV, Ralston, Cal, Rogic, Jota and Kyogo. I wouldn't like to see more than 2 players from that group missing from a league game (I'm discounting our new signings just now). There is a consistency you get from a settled side, as opposed to changing it up too much, a couple of changes at a time should be enough I think

8. Maestro 08

It's fine in cup games against weaker opponents to make a raft of changes but if you're talking about it on a regular basis in the league etc it only really works if you have players of a similar quality to rotate with and even then it can't be wholesale changes, you're just asking for trouble.

Right now with the squad we have I don't think we can rotate too much. There's maybe half a dozen players that can come in and the levels won't drop too much but outside of that then no.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A must, and should have been done way earlier, even if it meant giving starts to Soro, Montgomery, etc. Weaker players might cost us points in that rotation game, but a long-term injury on the mainstays costs us points in further games.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's essential for players under Ange, he asks so much of them, hopefully now we will have less injuries..

11. G40B

Manchester City are running away with the EPL because they have top quality back up in every position, unlike Chelsea and Liverpool.

We should be aiming for that. I reckon we could have it with Kyogo, now that Maeda is here. But it should be like that in every position.

12. leeso-ardoyne

It's easy in black and white but when we've very important games (which every game is now) and we have players wanting to play in them, they are going to say they are 100%. That's just human nature. We all think we're invincible untill something happens. However I do agree, with Anges intensity, there has to be some let up for them but trying to find thst balance to keep winning is the key. Ange rest players like he has before, we lose points and everyone on his back! Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

13. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I appreciate the need for it however, as long as it doesn't drastically weaken the team, as every point is a prisoner now. This is another reason why we need to get rid of those players who surplus to requirements and replace them with a better standard of player who can easily slot into position when called upon.

14. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Squad will need to rotate when international matches are on soon:
    3 5 2
    Hart
    Starfelt CCV Welsh
    Juranovic Ideguchi Scales
    Bitton Calmac
    Abada Giakoumakis