1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

So we're trying to get a break away third European competition started..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by McChiellini.., Sep 23, 2018.

Discuss So we're trying to get a break away third European competition started.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Rapid Vienna claiming we're at the forefront with Ajax and other's for a breakaway tournament..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    CELTIC are at the forefront of organising the new third European competition, Rapid Vienna director Raphael Landthaler has revealed Uefa are set to give the green light to a third European trophy, which would reduce the number of teams in the Europa League.

The idea is been driven by the European Club Association and would certainly offer up more opportunities for Scottish football to reach the Group Stages of all competitions.

And now Rapid director and ECA member Landthaler has revealed which clubs are driving the idea.

He said: "We have another meeting to confirm the plan on Tuesday.

"I am in the taskforce charged with delivering the plan, alongside Celtic, Ajax and HJK Helsinki.

"The model will have all three competitions having 32 teams in their Group Stages.

"Up to 20 national champions will be guaranteed a place in one of the Group Stages.

"Every nation in Europe will be represented in all three competitions - the top nations won't get any more places.

"That's attractive for countries like Austria, Scotland or the Netherlands.

"For example, this year AC Milan could have been in the Group Stages of the new competition.

"Presuming Austria does not regress in the coefficients, we would have a team in the Group Stages of all three competitions by 2020.

"Uefa will guarantee the flow of money throughout all three competitions - the new tournament will have the same money as the Europa League.

"It's provisionally called EL 2, but Challenge League is another name for it too."

It will be the first time since the Intertoto Cup was disbanded in 2008 that Uefa will have three club competitions on the go.

Celtic chief Peter Lawwell earlier this year called for the Europa League to be expanded and the Hoops now seem to be behind the move for an extra competition.

Would you be for it?

2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    No, just fix the CL again its for champions and not 12 runners up automatically in groups

Zanderama, trip2themoon and KRS-1888 like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Will never ever happen..

4. joemc

Seems like a competition i would hope we never have to experience tbh ,i know its getting tougher to reach cl proper ,but that should always be where we belong, although i always felt that the europa trophy looks amazing and is more worthy of the big tournament,,maybe in gold though .
    Sure i read that this tourny was to help even out domestic leagues through financial support for teams who would struggle getting a chance to play in european competition,and if true can only be good to drive our game forward .

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So we are driving force behind the 3rd comp? And we would be aiming to still have a club in all 3 comps? Assuming then that the champions of Scotland will still be in the qualifiers of the champions league, why the * would we be opening up the avenue for a third comp? We wouldn't be anywhere near it.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's a fantastic idea. If you get Europa league money, then teams like hibs and Aberdeen will be able to grow and challenge more and suddenly players in the Scottish league will go for there worth because they have money to knock back a couple million. Our money will be guaranteed to an extent, so no "late buys" needed. Winning it should allow final play off place for champions league, which in turn guarantees Europa if you loose.

I see zero downside and the champions league is uncompetitive outwith the top 4/5 leagues and more money filtering down helping smaller nations massively.

Yes for me.

More money spread out through our league, better players, better product, better tv deals. Win win.

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Helps our league which in turns helps us..

Random Review and littlekennie like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Because in turn it would help the coefficient most probably and mean less qualifiers

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Teams that drop out Europa league group stage will probably drop into it

10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Be good idea to use the cup winner Cup trophy for it still prestigious in a way maybe melt it down copy the design but make it a bigger scale

11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

*. Celtic playing in a glorified intertoto cup, * that.

The IRA, freitassen and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I don't think that's how it would work. I see a total breakaway with 3 big leagues.

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

How much are teams realistically gonnae get from a 3rd rate European tournament though? EL money is fuckall to us, this will be worse money wise.

14. john2061

I fear this third tournament is for when the champions league will be a closed shop just for the big leagues and i fear its coming soon and * U.E.F.A

Gabriel likes this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The article said the same money as the Europa... that's what I based my thinking from.

Europa is * all? It'll make about £15m for us. Imagine that to hibs or Aberdeen. It's those teams it's to help.

Random Review likes this.
  16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Us and Ajax pushing this is akin to Bayern, Real, Barca etc pushing to improve the EL. UEFA have proved by their actions that their priority is the top teams in the top leagues. They are all about money and I would be suspicious of anything they are setting up supposedly to help the less well off. Perhaps the final goal is to get rid of the likes of teams they don't want in the cl (this year Plzen, AEK etc.) and give wild cards to the bigger teams in the big leagues for the CL.

* UEFA and anything they do. They are self serving corrupt *

17. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I know, I never minded when they auto got 2 places, and 2 qualifier but now its just crazy, remember when we had to auto into groups in 2006 I think!

18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Ridiculous concept in 2018. Watching Barcelona in group A with Rosenborg, Cork City and Astana would be a waste of time.

Competition wouldn't start until the quarter finals, bad enough watching us getting pumped 7-0 never mind other dung 'Champions' from around the continent.

What should happen, is the Champions League should be rebranded back to the European Cup.

StainseyBhoy likes this.
  19. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Wrong, it should go back to the way it was a few years ago, not champions all auto in, but coefficient from country determines places max 2 auto 2 qual round.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Watching it now is a waste of time in my opinion unless Celtic are playing in it.

Random Review, The IRA and Gabriel like this.