1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sky has ruined football

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Patstar67, Sep 1, 2014.

Discuss Sky has ruined football in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NotTheMessiah

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Moving down to England just seems like a quick-fix to a problem that hopefully won't be around longer.

Once we get some competition in our league, I think we'd be sorted. We're just in a horrible phase just now were we don't really need to improve much in the league, but because of that we're atrocious in Europe.

Oh and another thing, the fans will start turning up to games again if we have competition, right now, realistically, there's hardly an incentive to go to the games knowing we're coming out with 3 points (for the most part), sad but true, I think.

2. Murph-E

Realistically, the only way there will competition in Scotland is if we go backwards as a club, nobody is capable of matching us. I know Daibhi actively wants us to go backwards because he's old and misses the days of Charlie Tully and McGroary, but most other fans don't want that to happen. Scottish football is pretty much done as a serious competition.

3. Dáibhí

I'm not too old to appreciate that female in your photo in the photo thread.

She your sister?

4. Mr. Slippyfist

Wrong thread mate hahahahahaha

5. Dáibhí

There is no wrong thread :50:

6. Mr. Slippyfist

:smiley-laughing002:

7. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    I agree. There's no point complaining that the EPL / Sky model is bloated and corrupt while in the next sentence stating "we need to get down there as soon as possible!"

I think all Scottish clubs, the member bodies, UEFA and FIFA need to start thinking less about self interest and revenue generating and instead start thinking more about how they go about making sure that sport (afetr al it IS sport, right>) becomes more competitive.

I do think Platini is one of the good guys. Factually his creation of the "Champion's Route" has at least given us a path into the CL once again. If that path was constantly blocked by the like of an Arsenal we would hardly ever be there.

I'm at least gladdened he recognises this if nothing else, and can only hope that more of this stuff is introduced.

Unfortunately its hope not grounded that much in reality. But I think we need to get rid of the "if we can beat 'em, join 'em mentality" that shrouds our support in some cases.

Let's hope we can make Scottish Football better - * having to team up with the English to do so. :shamrock:

8. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

9. Dáibhí

You don't think that if we were to be operating on the same financial platform as the top European sides we would be right up there with the best?

If Chelsea, PSG & manchester City can do it, so the * can we. We have much more to offer than all of those clubs.

Edit: Throw PSG into the mix as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  10. Doire_Bhoy

Completely agree and this essentially hypocritical stance, which is so unproblematic to so many, really bothers me.

:50:

11. Dáibhí

And how do we do that?

12. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

If we are in a "Euro league" we won't be operating on the same financial platform as those teams.

Even if we joined the Prem (without a Sheikh or a Oligarch) we still wouldn't be operating on the same financial platform as those teams. Spurs, for example don't compete on the same level as those teams. They can't go out and spend £200 million in the same style as Man Utd can. They have to sell a Bale first (to one of those teams in the stratosphere).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  13. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Of course we would, potentially better too. But, for the reasons above, I don't want that as involves killing Scottish football.

14. Doire_Bhoy

We're in 'the Prem'. The Scottish Prem.

15. Dáibhí

Scottish football wouldn't die without us though. It was simply operate on a scale that is suitable for a country of our size.

16. Doire_Bhoy

It would be helpful if our supporters didn't automatically compare and contrast the SPL (unfavourably) with the EPL at every opportunity. I realise that that horse has bolted, due to many Scottish (and Irish) spending as much - if not more - time watching the EPL as their own league, but it's a psychological colonisation that doesn't help the Scottish game.

It's very hard to convince someone that the Scottish game is not really that bad at all when all they do is watch Sky Sports News.

17. Doire_Bhoy

Exactly. If you compare Scottish football to Danish, Norwegian or Finnish football (given the same population sizes) Scottish football would still be better - or in the worst case about the same.

18. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Soz, The English "lots of money" Premier League

[​IMG]

19. Doire_Bhoy

I was being flippant pulling you up on it, but it's just something that irks me. It wasn't meant personally.

20. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

I know but I've never heard anyone call it the "Prem". Always the SPL.