1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir Tom Moore Dies

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Scotia, Feb 2, 2021.

Discuss Sir Tom Moore Dies in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tell that to Rangers admin.

:50: :56:

The Phoenix likes this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    That time he was threatened by the Queen.

upload_2021-2-2_18-13-39.jpeg

Artorias and Keano88 like this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

Nae wonder oor Lizzie whipped oot a sword on him, old * is trying to maul her with a lawnmower! :eek:

packybhoy likes this.
  4. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    a good auld geezer. R.I.P.

cidermaster likes this.
  5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    R.I.P A fine Innings indeed

And did you know he appeared on Blankety Blank in 1983.

TheHappyLoss and Garrymac1888 like this.
  6. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't but I just youtubed it :56:

cidermaster likes this.
  7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    RIP Auld Yin

Breathnach67 likes this.
  8. Onefootwonder

How did he earn more right that anyone else?

Granted he raised a lot of money for the NHS charities, but it was heavily influenced by the media. There is a lot of people who knock their pan in all year every year to raise money for worthwhile causes, but they won't be afforded a jolly in Barbados. They hardly get a thanks.

A lot of people that are dying with CV19 are in their later stages of life. We aren't turning around to them and telling them to go make the best of this year as it might be their last. It's the oldies that are dying that are stalling the country for us. We need to do our bit to protect them, but they have to reciprocate that.

Sir Tom was the face of the fight against CV19 and protect the NHS. His family have took a huge and unnecessary risk that hardly any of the rest of us have taken. It's still double standards the way the media refuse to say anything negative, when they've been quick to slate us, influencers and many other celebs for trivial breaches of things not in the spirit of decency.

It's very sad that he has died. Genuine 100% rest in peace from me.

9. Buster

RIP auld yin

One question......how did he pass away in hospital "surrounded" by his family?

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Family can come to visit in the hospital if they know you are about to die.

11. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The holiday completely spits in the face of all of his charitable work earlier in the pandemic tbh. Took all that positive publicity, but then selfishly goes on holiday and increases the risk to both the NHS and general public.

I fundraise for charities and I donate frequently myself, but that doesn’t give me any “right”. I’m not stuck at home following lockdown rules and not seeing family and friends just so some old * can go on a jolly to Barbados.

Lost all respect for him to be completely honest.

12. scootz

Are you seriously comparing a 100 year old gentleman who fought in the Second World War and raised £33 million for charity with ‘... us (presumably Celtic?), influencers, and many other celebs’?

First things first - there’s no comparison to be made between these millionaire underachieving bottlers (majority of our team) and no-mark celebs / ‘influencers’ (aka *), with a man of Tom’s history / standing.

Secondly, no one disputes that Celtic’s holiday (and that’s what it was) was perfectly legal. However, the club seriously misjudged the mood of even their own fans - even had there not been such a thing as C-19, most of us would have been *-off with them sunning themselves after the farce of the preceding few months. But taking C-19 into account, and looking at the ethics / decision making - the fact is that Tom went abroad around 9th Dec. The focus on the second wave didn’t take full effect until Xmas week. Had he gone abroad after it became obvious lockdown was in the pipeline, then he’d be fair game... but it didn’t play out like that - he went abroad when plenty of folks were still doing likewise. Celtic left in January and by that time we all knew the * was hitting the fan!

13. scootz

See my reply above - the timings were different and the mood of the nation was different.

Numbers may show it was only a couple of weeks difference, but that doesn’t tell the full story.

14. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We were all in lockdown with our fingers crossed that we’d get to see even a few members of our families on Christmas Day while he was off gallivanting in Barbados. It’s indefensible.

The Phoenix, Seán Mac D and seanm like this.
  15. Buster

I'm sure many a person has passed away alone without their family, the saddest thing about COVID

16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

17. Onefootwonder

There's taking out of context and there is completely twisting posts. Well done for doing the second. You've cut quite a vital part out there.

The rules are supposed to be the same for everyone. The fact he's been held up to the nation as the ideal role model during a time that has impacted so many people's lives, he's the last person I'd have expected to go on such a trip. I'd have thought one of his family or advisors would have realised how bad this would look to many people.

A lot of people think lowly of brain-dead footballers and desperate social media influencers, but they still expect them to have more sense.

He flew out on the 11th December and we already were fully aware what was going to happen. Everyone knew what was in the pipeline. The government warnings for essential travel only were from November.

He didn't get back into the country until the 6th January. It sounds as if he was instantly unwell even though the confirmed CV19 test wasn't until the 22nd January.

18. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Completely agree.

It's possible to feel sorry for him and the family while also acknowledging that going away was wrong. The idea that he can't be criticised because he did so much for the NHS is absurd.

To be honest I don't know what they were thinking. A 100 year old travelling that distance even outside of pandemic times carries a pretty significant risk.

19. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

I agree, but playing devils advocate he’s 100, always wanted to go there and maybe at that age next year just ain’t an option..?

20. scootz

Some fair points in your first paragraph El Cap, but I disagree with your second.

He’s a 100 year old man - his time is very limited and precious. He’s always one slip on his way to the cludgie, or one infection (even from something far less infectious and less virulent than C-19) away from death. Does he sit at home managing the general aches and pains associated with that age and continue doing what he’s done for much of the previous 100 years? Or does he tick off something that’s featured on his ‘’bucket list’ whilst he still can?

I know which one I’d chose!

Tomorrow is a promise to no-one... but far less so to someone who’s age has reached 3 figures.

I’m all for ‘hard facts’, ‘hard luck’, and ‘hard justice’ (and I take Covid VERY seriously), but I still believe that his trip wasn’t a massive deal in the grand scheme of how things were at the time.

I still maintain that the ‘mood’ of the first half of December was VERY different to how it was in the second half.