1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"Silly season comes early"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ellboy, Jun 4, 2008.

Discuss "Silly season comes early" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    “Silly season comes early”.

It is noticeable that every year the “Silly Season” arrives earlier and earlier. Although this year must have broken new records, even before the green and white ribbons had settled around the SPL trophy. Speculation about comings and goings had been rife.

First up was the Croation midfielder Onjen Vukojevic, however after weeks of speculation he was ofski to Kiev.

Since then it seems everyday Celtic are linked with not one but in some cases two or three different players. Speculation is part-n-parcel of being a "Big Club" but this year the levels seem to be ridiculous and we are only just out of May. If history has taught us anything it is this. Until there are any quotations either from the player or directly from Celtic then the stories printed should be treated as pure fantasy.

So far Celtic have been linked with a ridiculous number of players some household names some obscure "Who are they? Players", of which there has been far too many to list. However if you are going to make up stories, about this player and that player, then a word of advice for all who do this. If you’re going to play fantasy football then why not go the whole Hogg and link Cristiano Ronaldo with a move to Paradise. As a story like that would get the attention of most but would be as equally irrelevant as the majority of the other nonsense being spouted. However at least it would give everyone a laugh.

This rant was meant in general as all outlets media and fan based have been ridiculous in there speculation of the comings and goings.

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  2. kennydal

until i see a player being paraded at parkhead after he signs ,thats when i will believe weve signed someone:50:

3. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Although 99% is bullshit i dont mind it really

4. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Its funny how many times ive seen a rumour and thought na but its nice to see whos names are floating around and if any of them ever come close

5. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    If we didn't have that bullshit we wouldn't have anything to talk about for the next month and a half.

6. jhimbhoab

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have u seen a handsome hun
    if it keeps our name on the back pages and deflects any publicity away from the disabled ones works team then thats fine by me......would rather see a false rumour about our club signing drogba than see a headline proclaiming the arrival of a new ugly orangeman.

7. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA

* me don´t tell me that we are linked with re-signing the "Orange man" Kenny Miller again.:84:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  8. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Wonder why :rolleyes:

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Vukojevic was a fairly substantiated rumour though? It was quite clear we DID hold an interest just now at £6 million.

10. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    It's a love/hate thing. you cannae wait to see who's linked to us, then the "Aye Right" comes.

So, says we are in for Ronaldo.
    Heard Lampard is considering his options.
    Berbatov may be on the move.

We can always tell the genuine ones. If we're linked to a Scottish Player, 9 times out of 10, we actually do try to get them. The ones that make direct quotes and so on.

11. MartyC

what about larson? lol

i hate the rumours section i dont look in it really as its a load of pish.

ive noticed that most of the people posting in it aint regulars to the site as well which makes me wonder

12. col_p67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, John Collins
    The rumours section is often a good barometer of the type of player we're going to sign. Who reckons we'll have at least one Croatian, a Euro '08 striker, an additional 30+ CB and a Premiership youngster in our ranks before the end of the summer? I detest rumours that have been pulled out of someone's *, just so they feel involved in the discussion, but I'm quite happy to have a rumours section that is a collection of the news stories doing the rounds in the tabloids right now. I often wonder how much power the fans have at their disposal. We're rumoured with a particular player, the fans react positively or negatively and the boss takes that reaction into his consideration. I kinda think that's how we ended up with Gravesen. Speculation is a grey area between us not having a player, then having a player, where the club can gauge the feeling of the supporters.

13. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    beat me to it

14. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You gotta be prepared for the papers to spout their *, I mean they spout * all season and now the season's over they gotta spout a different kind of *....take it all in your stride and believe nothing till you see pics of a player paraded at CP in the hoops. GS is notoriously canny with his transfer market dealings and sure as * won't be leaking anything to anyone. Personally I think he'll be trying to pick up a wee Euro 08 bargain, like MON did with big Joos.

15. Biffy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Brown, Aiden, Artur and Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willie Maley
    I don't understand this complaining... millions of stories are posted and read every day so they are popular- that's no different here on talkceltic. We all love to hear these rumours.

16. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    Reading rumours used to be great as you would buy the paper wishing to see a decent name being linked.

Now however the anticipation and gloss has gone from it as it seems every minute (this year especialy) there is a new name in the frame. It has become ridiculous and laughable, instead of exciting and realistic.

17. Biffy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Brown, Aiden, Artur and Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willie Maley
    This year especially? This year is no where near as bad as made up rumours have been on this site in recent years.

18. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    Was not complaining about the rumours thread on here on it´s own. If you read the last sentance of the original post it should explain.

19. MartyC

i am tho its fucken mince but its best kept in there so it not all over the other threads