1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

should there be a british league?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Yorkshire Tim, Nov 27, 2004.

Discuss should there be a british league? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dubsbhoy Banned!

yeah a link is automatically put up on the home page for the latest forum threads but if your starting new threads in the pub and there not coming up in the pub than there must be some problem which mark or CM will have to look at. Anyway don't let it stop you making new threads :50:

2. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I wouldn't like a Britsh Cup as it would lead to a Britsh Team and that would be full of english players, its bad enough listening about the England team but a Britsh team would be murder.
    You can't make a new competition with Irish teams and call it the British Cup, Rep. Ireland ain't part of Britain anymore and that ain't gonna change. I think it should be left the way it is the now.
    Theres all kind of rumours about new european leagues, british cups but it aint gonna happen anytime soon.

3. Mark

A British league is only useful for the Old Firm to be honest since it means they get to play the top teams every single week. The other SPL teams would probably sit in the First/Second division (except Hearts who might be able to get into the Premierleague). It won't happen. It wouldn't benefit everyone in Scottish and English and Welsh and N/Irish football. Too many teams, too many problems, etc...

And with a British league means a British Football team. This would probably HAVE to contain (as a rule by Fifa) a minimum or 2/3 Scottish, English, Welsh and N.Irish so that the whole team won't be full of English players. I think some Scottish players would make the squad even if that wasn't a rule - eg. McNamara, Fergahun maybe the keepers, wee Fletch as well - maybe.

But it wouldn't happen man. I guess it's a good thought though. Wouldn't it mean more money for the lower teams too though like the Scottish second division teams since they would appear on TV, etc and there would be more money from Sky for the cup and stuff. The Scottish third division (maybe even the second division) would become extinct though - too many teams - they would probably join a Conference league of some kind in Scotland with a play off at the end of the season with the English Conference teams if you know what I mean to see who deserves promotion to the British League Third/Fourth division. And the same with the N.Irish and Welsh teams.

Would be really interesting though I think. There wouldn't be a problem with travelling - think of teams in Italy or Spain or France. Wouldn't most of their teams travel further than we would have to in order to play?

It won't happen but maybe it should?

A British Cup though would be something worthwhile and definetely practical if the British League wasn't possible.

CM = site owner, forum administrator
    Me = site webmaster part owner, forum admin
    Dubs = forum moderator, forum gold member
    Celtic = champs! :D

4. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Thats exactly why theres talk about this subject its only for us and the huns, dont think any of the teams in england need a change

5. Mark

It could benefit some of the smaller teams I suppose money-wise although you would find it would do more damage than good to the smaller league teams in Scotland.

If Celtic and Rangers just moved to the EPL I doubt many of us would bother about a British League? What do you think?